We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsdadministrator - BSD

This is a discussion on We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsdadministrator - BSD ; Hi, We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsd administrator Location:San Jose,CA Length of engagement:6+Months Desired skills: *Should have experience in System Administration . *Solaris Expreience prefered. ************************************* Thanks and Regards Shibi QSolv Inc. 226 Airport Pkwy, Suite #390 San ...

  1. We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsdadministrator

    Hi,

    We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsd
    administrator
    Location:San Jose,CA
    Length of engagement:6+Months

    Desired skills:

    *Should have experience in System Administration .
    *Solaris Expreience prefered.

    *************************************
    Thanks and Regards
    Shibi
    QSolv Inc.
    226 Airport Pkwy, Suite #390
    San Jose, CA 95110.

    Tel 1: 408 903 4572 Ext:-215
    Tel 2: 408 834 4780
    Fax: 408 904 4505
    Email:shibi@qsolv-inc.com

    Please send me your RESUME in WORD file only if your skills match with
    the above requirement.

  2. Re: We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsd administrator

    On 2008-01-10, Shibi wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsd
    > administrator

    [ ... ]

    > Please send me your RESUME in WORD file only if your skills match with
    > the above requirement.

    You want BSD and Solaris admin experience (which I have), but
    you want the resume done in Microsoft Word?

    I'm not planning to apply, but FWIW, while I have several
    Solaris and OpenBSD machines running here (at home), I have only one
    token Windows box (fully isolated behind the firewall) *without* Word.

    And I've *never* used Word -- and don't plan to change that
    status.

    So -- how many potential applicants are you shutting out by your
    requirement for the resume in Word?

    What are the chances that you would accept something written in
    OpenOffice (in Solaris) and saved as a Word format file? (Not that I've
    bothered to learn to create documents in OpenOffice's word processor
    anyway. If I were to compose a resume, I would write it in Troff
    format, and print it to PDF format.

    Enjoy,
    DoN.

    --
    Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

  3. Re: We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsd administrator

    "DoN. Nichols" writes:

    > On 2008-01-10, Shibi wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsd
    > > administrator

    > [ ... ]
    >
    > > Please send me your RESUME in WORD file only if your skills match with
    > > the above requirement.

    > You want BSD and Solaris admin experience (which I have), but
    > you want the resume done in Microsoft Word?

    I suspect they'll get resumes from the job candidates they deserve.

    // marc

  4. Re: We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsd administrator

    Shibi wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsd
    > administrator
    > Location:San Jose,CA
    > Length of engagement:6+Months
    >
    > Desired skills:
    >
    > *Should have experience in System Administration .
    > *Solaris Expreience prefered.
    >

    > *************************************
    > Thanks and Regards
    > Shibi
    > QSolv Inc.
    > 226 Airport Pkwy, Suite #390
    > San Jose, CA 95110.
    >
    > Tel 1: 408 903 4572 Ext:-215
    > Tel 2: 408 834 4780
    > Fax: 408 904 4505
    > Email:shibi@qsolv-inc.com
    >
    > Please send me your RESUME in WORD file only if your skills match with
    > the above requirement.

    well,
    I guess that leaves me out (for more than one reason).
    1. I don't run windows
    2. I run bsd here (openbsd firewalls, freebsd ) in vmware
    3. I administer dhcp, dns, sshd, http, mysql and others on a linux host
    (hosting vmware)
    4. I happen to be blind.

    Frankly, I wouldn't mind a trip back to my old home town, but no way in hell
    am I going to dig up someones old windows box just to input my resume in
    word. why don't you use a real document format like PDF or even rtf?

    numbered!
    My life is my own - No. 6

  5. Re: We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsd administrator

    In article <87wsqf2rgt.fsf@thingy.datadok.no>,
    Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
    >We do have openoffice as a packace, so producing word .doc files is
    >possible on OpenBSD these days. At the cost of of installing what
    >probably is the largest package in the entire collection, granted.

    Nope, that honor still goes to TeX.
    9.3M texlive_base-2007p3.tgz
    253M texlive_texmf-docs-2007p0.tgz
    119M texlive_texmf-full-2007p1.tgz
    111M texlive_texmf-minimal-2007p1.tgz

  6. Re: We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsd administrator

    Begin
    On 10 Jan 2008 23:10:50 GMT, DoN. Nichols wrote:
    [snip!]

    > What are the chances that you would accept something written in
    > OpenOffice (in Solaris) and saved as a Word format file?

    Be serious. Recruiters are human buzzword filters that can do minimal
    cut'n'paste (``industry standards based'') document mangling with
    ``WORD''. Your questions are already far too technical.

    > (Not that I've bothered to learn to create documents in OpenOffice's
    > word processor anyway. If I were to compose a resume, I would write it
    > in Troff format, and print it to PDF format.

    Troff (well, groff) here, plain text, ps and pdf are available. Works a
    treat for non-recruiters. Recruiters seem to be ethically comparable to
    spammers, as the same rules seem to apply.

    Seeing the nitwit repeat itself despite being told in detail what it's
    doing wrong (out of no multi-posting, use a job announcement group or
    mailinglist instead of a discussion group, find a group that's local,
    and don't insult your audience; it only seems to have picked up on the
    first--I posted all that in cubFm though) to me confirms incompetence
    and makes me question whether it's human. Meaning that even if it'd
    offer really good terms (as if) I'd still not want to deal with it. May
    its employer learn quickly and find a better way to recruit people.

  7. Re: We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsd administrator

    On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 03:14:10 -0700 in <1843045.ZK9rX6ZeMr@rawgames.org> Technomage Hawke wrote:

    > Frankly, I wouldn't mind a trip back to my old home town, but no way in hell
    > am I going to dig up someones old windows box just to input my resume in
    > word. why don't you use a real document format like PDF or even rtf?

    Because the recruiter doesn't have brains enough to use any other word
    processor and wishes to take your resume, remove your contact information,
    put the recruiting agency's information into the resume, and sometimes add
    skills you don't even have to the resume.

    On the bright side folks like this don't have any problems at all with
    text or rich text or HTML files with .doc extensions.
    MS Windows brings up MS Word when they click on the extension and they don't
    have to go through the misery of copying and pasting from notepad.

    --
    Chris Dukes
    "Let all the babies be born. Then let us drown those we do not like."

  8. Re: We have an immediate position open for FreebSd/OpenBSD/NetBsd administrator

    Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:

    > Technomage Hawke writes:
    >
    >> Frankly, I wouldn't mind a trip back to my old home town, but no way in
    >> hell am I going to dig up someones old windows box just to input my
    >> resume in word.

    > We do have openoffice as a packace, so producing word .doc files is
    > possible on OpenBSD these days. At the cost of of installing what
    > probably is the largest package in the entire collection, granted.

    hehehe yeah. something like 187 MB of data.
    still, I don't really use X much in BSD. its a bit of a pain to setup and
    get going with a speech synth package. BSD is much preferred for use as a
    firewall and some other networking intrinsic tasks. at least in Linux, OO
    is pretty use friendly with my "TTS" system.

    numbered!
    My life is my own - No. 6

+ Reply to Thread