Use of slices a and b - BSD

This is a discussion on Use of slices a and b - BSD ; Hi, can I use the slices 'a' and 'b' as I want or are they reserved as 'c' is? I have a second partition and the slices start with 'd'. Can I delete 'd' and create 'a' and/or 'b'? [root@BSDHelmut ...

  1. Use of slices a and b

    Hi,

    can I use the slices 'a' and 'b' as I want or are they reserved as 'c' is? I
    have a second partition and the slices start with 'd'. Can I delete 'd' and
    create 'a' and/or 'b'?

    [root@BSDHelmut ~]# mount | sort
    /dev/da0s1a on / (ufs, local)
    /dev/da0s1d on /usr (ufs, local, soft-updates)
    /dev/da0s1e on /var (ufs, local, soft-updates)
    /dev/da0s1f on /var/log (ufs, local, soft-updates)
    /dev/da0s1g on /var/www (ufs, local, soft-updates)
    /dev/da0s2d on /var/squid (ufs, local, soft-updates)
    /dev/da0s2e on /var/cvs (ufs, local, soft-updates)
    /dev/da0s2f on /var/vsftpd (ufs, local, soft-updates)
    /dev/da0s2h on /tmp (ufs, local, soft-updates)
    devfs on /dev (devfs, local)
    [root@BSDHelmut ~]# swapinfo
    Device 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity
    /dev/da0s1b 3584000 0 3584000 0%
    [root@BSDHelmut ~]#

    Thanks, Helmut

    --
    No Swen today, my love has gone away
    My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn

  2. Re: Use of slices a and b

    Helmut 'Ingrid' Schneider wrote:

    > can I use the slices 'a' and 'b' as I want or are they reserved as 'c'
    > is? I have a second partition and the slices start with 'd'. Can I
    > delete 'd' and create 'a' and/or 'b'?

    I have to use bsdlabel and can't use sysinstall to repartition da0s2, that's
    why I ask...

    --
    No Swen today, my love has gone away
    My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn

  3. Re: Use of slices a and b

    :
    : > can I use the slices 'a' and 'b' as I want or are they reserved as 'c'
    : > is? I have a second partition and the slices start with 'd'. Can I
    : > delete 'd' and create 'a' and/or 'b'?
    :

    Yes, you can do all of that.

    : I have to use bsdlabel and can't use sysinstall to repartition da0s2, that's
    : why I ask...

    That's not a bad thing, you probably want to backup the label anyway
    so you'll bsdlabel all primed and ready to go in the buffer cache

  4. Re: Use of slices a and b

    Howard Goldstein wrote:
    > On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 22:35:12 +0100, Helmut Schneider
    > wrote:
    >> Helmut 'Ingrid' Schneider wrote:

    > :
    >>> can I use the slices 'a' and 'b' as I want or are they reserved as 'c'
    >>> is? I have a second partition and the slices start with 'd'. Can I
    >>> delete 'd' and create 'a' and/or 'b'?

    > Yes, you can do all of that.

    Worked fine, thanks.

    >> I have to use bsdlabel and can't use sysinstall to repartition da0s2,
    >> that's why I ask...

    > That's not a bad thing, you probably want to backup the label anyway
    > so you'll bsdlabel all primed and ready to go in the buffer cache

    Could you please be a bit more verbose? 'Go in the buffered cache'?

    --
    No Swen today, my love has gone away
    My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn

  5. Re: Use of slices a and b

    : > wrote:
    : >> Helmut 'Ingrid' Schneider wrote:
    : > :
    : >>> can I use the slices 'a' and 'b' as I want or are they reserved as 'c'
    : >>> is? I have a second partition and the slices start with 'd'. Can I
    : >>> delete 'd' and create 'a' and/or 'b'?
    : >
    : > Yes, you can do all of that.
    :
    : Worked fine, thanks.

    I think the only gotcha here is if you later want to put /boot
    somewhere other than a when using the standard boot loader, I don't
    know how to do that, but it's easy enough to edit the label to change
    the partition letter. Also see the diskpart man page for historical
    info on partition letter assignments.

    :
    : >> I have to use bsdlabel and can't use sysinstall to repartition da0s2,
    : >> that's why I ask...
    : >
    : > That's not a bad thing, you probably want to backup the label anyway
    : > so you'll bsdlabel all primed and ready to go in the buffer cache
    :
    : Could you please be a bit more verbose? 'Go in the buffered cache'?
    :

    "Ready to go in the buffer cache". Recent disk access is probably
    still in cache. This is probably in the handbook somewhere.

+ Reply to Thread