Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware - BSD

This is a discussion on Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware - BSD ; I need to build a low power server, in a small form factor and without any moving parts. Server load will be low, it doesn't need to be a very powerfull machine. It needs at most 1 network port and ...

  1. Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware

    I need to build a low power server, in a small form factor and without any
    moving parts. Server load will be low, it doesn't need to be a very
    powerfull machine. It needs at most 1 network port and 1 usb port.

    I've been looking at the Soekris boards and some other Via solutions.
    However, I get the impression that those boards are a bit to, well,
    'experimental' for me, I'm more looking for a "turn-key" solution. I've
    found some info on the "OpenBrick", but that seems to be discontinued.

    Any pointers to an affordable(1) system are appreciated!

    Paul

    (1) preferably less then an entry level laptop...

  2. Re: Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware

    Paul Pietersma wrote:
    > I need to build a low power server, in a small form factor and without any
    > moving parts. Server load will be low, it doesn't need to be a very
    > powerfull machine. It needs at most 1 network port and 1 usb port.
    >
    > I've been looking at the Soekris boards and some other Via solutions.
    > However, I get the impression that those boards are a bit to, well,
    > 'experimental' for me, I'm more looking for a "turn-key" solution. I've
    > found some info on the "OpenBrick", but that seems to be discontinued.
    >
    > Any pointers to an affordable(1) system are appreciated!

    I would still recommend the Soekris net5501. Nothing experimental about
    it. Lots of people use Soekris kit as small low-power servers, and they
    are well supported by FreeBSD. They have no CD drive, so you will need
    to bootstrap the system over the Ethernet, but that's pretty easy with
    the guides from ultradesic.com .

    - Martin.

  3. Re: Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware

    On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 20:17:59 UTC, "Paul Pietersma"
    wrote:

    > I need to build a low power server, in a small form factor and without any
    > moving parts. Server load will be low, it doesn't need to be a very
    > powerfull machine. It needs at most 1 network port and 1 usb port.
    >
    > I've been looking at the Soekris boards and some other Via solutions.
    > However, I get the impression that those boards are a bit to, well,
    > 'experimental' for me, I'm more looking for a "turn-key" solution. I've
    > found some info on the "OpenBrick", but that seems to be discontinued.

    Not *that* experimental. I built three machines using the VIA boards.
    Two of them are fanless. One of those, as well as the fanned one, are
    house servers running FreeBSD. Running solidly for over 6 months and 8
    months respectively.

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  4. Re: Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware

    On Sat, 5 Jan 2008 21:17:59 +0100, "Paul Pietersma"
    wrote:

    >I need to build a low power server, in a small form factor and without any
    >moving parts. Server load will be low, it doesn't need to be a very
    >powerfull machine. It needs at most 1 network port and 1 usb port.
    >
    >I've been looking at the Soekris boards and some other Via solutions.

    We have literally hundreds of older Soekris boards deployed across
    Canada and they are extremely reliable. We have a few dozen 5501s
    deployed and so far so good. We also flirted with Commel's VIA boards
    but have had a far higher failure rate with those and are disappointed
    with our mini-itx experiences as compared to the Soekris units.

    If the CPU is fast enough for your app, go for the Soekris

    ---Mike
    Mike Tancsa, Sentex communications http://www.sentex.net
    Providing Internet Access since 1994
    mike@sentex.net, (http://www.tancsa.com)

  5. Re: Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware

    "Bob Eager" schreef in bericht

    >> However, I get the impression that those boards are a bit to, well,
    >> 'experimental' for me, I'm more looking for a "turn-key" solution.

    > Not *that* experimental.

    I didn't mean that the board weren't rock solid, what I ment to say was that
    I think I have to tinker a lot with them before I get them to work. Which is
    more a testament of my inexperience with these things, than a statement
    about the boards...

    It seems that the Soekris net5501-70 fits my needs with ample room for
    future expansion. The case is somewhat larger than I hoped though.

    Thanks,
    Paul

  6. Re: Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware

    "Mike Tancsa" schreef in bericht

    > We have literally hundreds of older Soekris boards deployed across
    > Canada and they are extremely reliable. We have a few dozen 5501s
    > deployed and so far so good.

    Thanks, this kind of "field experience" is good to hear.

    > If the CPU is fast enough for your app, go for the Soekris

    The CPU won't be a problem, the app is a bit memory hungry though. The
    5501-70 has 512 Mbyte and I hope that will be enough to minimize swapping.

    Paul

  7. Re: Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware

    Paul Pietersma unleashed the infinite monkeys on 05/01/2008 20:17 producing:
    > I need to build a low power server, in a small form factor and without any
    > moving parts. Server load will be low, it doesn't need to be a very
    > powerfull machine. It needs at most 1 network port and 1 usb port.

    I've built a number of low end servers using the mini-ITX platform.
    Speeds of up to about 1 GHz are available passively cooled. I have one
    firewall running on a Lex systems box using a CF card - no moving parts
    at all.

    --
    Rob MacGregor (BOFH)

    Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire'
    and 'I need to reload.'"

  8. Re: Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware

    On Jan 5, 12:38 pm, Martin Johnson wrote:
    > Paul Pietersma wrote:
    > > I need to build a low power server, in a small form factor and without any
    > > moving parts. Server load will be low, it doesn't need to be a very
    > > powerfull machine. It needs at most 1 network port and 1 usb port.

    > > I've been looking at the Soekris boards and some other Via solutions.
    > > However, I get the impression that those boards are a bit to, well,
    > > 'experimental' for me, I'm more looking for a "turn-key" solution. I've
    > > found some info on the "OpenBrick", but that seems to be discontinued.

    > > Any pointers to an affordable(1) system are appreciated!

    > I would still recommend the Soekris net5501. Nothing experimental about
    > it. Lots of people use Soekris kit as small low-power servers, and they
    > are well supported by FreeBSD. They have no CD drive, so you will need
    > to bootstrap the system over the Ethernet, but that's pretty easy with
    > the guides from ultradesic.com .
    >
    > - Martin.

    are there many person with the email sign on of user at example dot
    net? because I have a problem with one of them

    Cartwright or as you know him (Aho/Martiin) has been trying to shut
    down a good google group.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.callahans/about
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...dfa0fbeb950cb4
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...8d386873c74bb9
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...d2a4f59c86cc9d

    He has been doing this by posting what looks to be replies to adult
    content material, but in doing so he is one of the leading posters of
    adult content material to this usually nice group. The material
    replied to does not originate in our group and may be made up by him.
    He has also been known to post replies to his replies in ways that
    just dump more crud on the newsgroup.
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...74c23845ee285f
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...63749c641bf90a
    http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...8e75117487deed

    Please do something, even if you just kill file him, to this troll.

    Now I may have this poster mixed up with him, as he seems to use
    Brandon D Cartwright on alt.callahans and Aho here. But I followed the
    Google past post link and this poster has an identical post history as
    the despised Cartright

    He does limit his posts to 6 or fewer days. Those posts up there are
    likely to be gone soon. But just go to alt.callahans and search
    cartwright, something will come up and that person will have the same
    posting history as martin.

    Sean

  9. Re: Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware

    Begin <5b975b44-d217-4f71-93af-62c21ecdc205@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
    On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 10:33:12 -0800 (PST),
    Sean Cleary wrote:
    > On Jan 5, 12:38 pm, Martin Johnson wrote:

    [lots of unrelated thinks snipped]
    >> - Martin.

    > are there many person with the email sign on of user at example dot
    > net? because I have a problem with one of them

    No. It has no MX and the host isn't listening on 25, and in addition it
    is an obviously invalid email address -- reserved for examples. For more
    information, see RFC2606.

    One could argue that its use here is inappropriate as it might confuse
    the gullible, but that doesn't change that these addresses are indeed
    bogus.

    You'll have a better chance inspecting the message headers and looking
    for an abuse point of contact. No guarantees it'll do anything good, of
    course. Worse, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. See below.

    > Cartwright or as you know him (Aho/Martiin) has been trying to shut
    > down a good google group.

    [snip]
    > Please do something, even if you just kill file him, to this troll.

    Google does not own USENET. They pretend to, and they have plenty of
    groups available in their ever deteriorating web interface that are not
    part of USENET, but they still don't actually own it. alt.callahans is a
    USENET group, not a google group.

    I think you're being too quick with your accusations. While the From:
    address is obviously bogus in both cases, the messages came from
    different sources. Look at the headers and see that this poster posts
    from supernews, whereas your nemesis posts from alt.net, using a
    different user agent (USENET client) to boot.

    If you want to do something, you should ditch google groups and instead
    get an account with a reputable USENET provider, and also get a client
    that will allow you to killfile unwanted posts. The messages you cited
    as unwanted are all cross-posted to multiple groups, and you could easily
    filter on that fact alone, without regard to forged From: addresses.

  10. Re: Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware

    On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 11:41:55 +0100, "Paul Pietersma"
    wrote:

    >> If the CPU is fast enough for your app, go for the Soekris

    >The CPU won't be a problem, the app is a bit memory hungry though. The
    >5501-70 has 512 Mbyte and I hope that will be enough to minimize swapping.

    All our of deployments are on CF. Dont have hard drives deployed

    ---Mike
    Mike Tancsa, Sentex communications http://www.sentex.net
    Providing Internet Access since 1994
    mike@sentex.net, (http://www.tancsa.com)

  11. Re: Need advice on low-power single board, fan-less hardware

    On Jan 6, 11:29 am, jpd wrote:
    > Begin <5b975b44-d217-4f71-93af-62c21ecdc...@i12g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
    > On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 10:33:12 -0800 (PST),SeanCleary wrote:
    > > On Jan 5, 12:38 pm, Martin Johnson wrote:

    > [lots of unrelated thinks snipped]
    >
    > >> - Martin.

    > > are there many person with the email sign on of user at example dot
    > > net? because I have a problem with one of them

    > No. It has no MX and the host isn't listening on 25, and in addition it
    > is an obviously invalid email address -- reserved for examples. For more
    > information, see RFC2606.
    >
    > One could argue that its use here is inappropriate as it might confuse
    > the gullible, but that doesn't change that these addresses are indeed
    > bogus.
    >
    > You'll have a better chance inspecting the message headers and looking
    > for an abuse point of contact. No guarantees it'll do anything good, of
    > course. Worse, I think you're barking up the wrong tree. See below.
    >

    > > Cartwright or as you know him (Aho/Martiin) has been trying to shut
    > > down a good google group.

    > [snip]
    > > Please do something, even if you just kill file him, to this troll.

    > Google does not own USENET. They pretend to, and they have plenty of
    > groups available in their ever deteriorating web interface that are not
    > part of USENET, but they still don't actually own it. alt.callahans is a
    > USENET group, not a google group.
    >
    > I think you're being too quick with your accusations. While the From:
    > address is obviously bogus in both cases, the messages came from
    > different sources. Look at the headers and see that this poster posts
    > from supernews, whereas your nemesis posts from alt.net, using a
    > different user agent (USENET client) to boot.
    >
    > If you want to do something, you should ditch google groups and instead
    > get an account with a reputable USENET provider, and also get a client
    > that will allow you to killfile unwanted posts. The messages you cited
    > as unwanted are all cross-posted to multiple groups, and you could easily
    > filter on that fact alone, without regard to forged From: addresses.
    >
    > --
    > j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    > This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    > Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    > consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

    my apologies, and thank you for the education.
    Sean

+ Reply to Thread