6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM - BSD

This is a discussion on 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM - BSD ; Hi! I'm brand new in FreeBSD , at this particular moment installing FreeBSD 5.3 into old machine with Intel Celeron 466 MHz with 224MBs of RAM. I did the same two days ago and it worked, but yesterday I downloaded ...

  1. 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    Hi! I'm brand new in FreeBSD , at this particular moment installing
    FreeBSD 5.3 into old machine with Intel Celeron 466 MHz with 224MBs of RAM.
    I did the same two days ago and it worked, but yesterday I downloaded
    6.2-release and tried to install it (after deleting existing slice with
    5.3).

    This 6.2 release installation was total disaster and didn't boot up. It
    stacked somewhere in the middle between boot and login .

    Maybe someone can tell me is there some particular reason that my
    processor and amount of RAM are not enough for 6.2 release.

    The same happens with linux installations on that machine. FC4 works fine,
    but FC5, WBEL4, Ubuntu 6.06 won't... pc just freeze unexpectedly with no
    reason... what is not the case with FC4 or MS Windows XP (home).

    Thank you and please don't forget that no matter of several years of
    expirience with linux, it does not make me nothing else then new in
    FreeBSD and unix...

  2. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    Just a guess, but you may want to try the ACPI disabled option at the boot menu.

    Vlado9A3CY wrote:
    > Hi! I'm brand new in FreeBSD , at this particular moment installing
    > FreeBSD 5.3 into old machine with Intel Celeron 466 MHz with 224MBs of RAM.
    > I did the same two days ago and it worked, but yesterday I downloaded
    > 6.2-release and tried to install it (after deleting existing slice with
    > 5.3).
    >
    > This 6.2 release installation was total disaster and didn't boot up. It
    > stacked somewhere in the middle between boot and login .
    >
    > Maybe someone can tell me is there some particular reason that my
    > processor and amount of RAM are not enough for 6.2 release.
    >
    > The same happens with linux installations on that machine. FC4 works fine,
    > but FC5, WBEL4, Ubuntu 6.06 won't... pc just freeze unexpectedly with no
    > reason... what is not the case with FC4 or MS Windows XP (home).
    >
    > Thank you and please don't forget that no matter of several years of
    > expirience with linux, it does not make me nothing else then new in
    > FreeBSD and unix...

  3. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    Begin
    On 4 Jan 2008 15:18:47 GMT, Vlado9A3CY wrote:
    > This 6.2 release installation was total disaster and didn't boot up. It
    > stacked somewhere in the middle between boot and login .

    Just that sentence is not enough to figure out what is going on. It
    would be helpful if you could boot in verbose mode and provide the
    bootlog. Booting over serial console might help here. The how is in
    the handbook, I think.

    > Maybe someone can tell me is there some particular reason that my
    > processor and amount of RAM are not enough for 6.2 release.

    No, both should work well enough. I think it more likely that ACPI
    trouble is the cause. See what happens if you boot with ACPI disabled.
    Also, you might try and find a BIOS update for your mainboard. Early
    mainboards tended to have buggy ACPI implementations, and some of the
    bugs got fixed with later BIOS updates.

  4. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:31:13 +0000, mark wrote:

    > Just a guess, but you may want to try the ACPI disabled option at
    > the boot menu.

    Thank you Mark, but I already know about ACPI and it is disabled!

    I'll see how my 5.3 release will work. Maybe it would be okay for for
    me at this moment... I could possibly learn something

  5. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    Vlado9A3CY wrote:
    > Hi! I'm brand new in FreeBSD , at this particular moment installing
    > FreeBSD 5.3 into old machine with Intel Celeron 466 MHz with 224MBs of RAM.
    > I did the same two days ago and it worked, but yesterday I downloaded
    > 6.2-release and tried to install it (after deleting existing slice with
    > 5.3).
    >
    > This 6.2 release installation was total disaster and didn't boot up. It
    > stacked somewhere in the middle between boot and login .

    Try booting without ACPI.
    Update your BIOS.
    Take notes of exactly where it stops during boot.

    > Maybe someone can tell me is there some particular reason that my
    > processor and amount of RAM are not enough for 6.2 release.

    It's unlikely to be a problem with the processor or not enough RAM.

    > The same happens with linux installations on that machine. FC4 works fine,
    > but FC5, WBEL4, Ubuntu 6.06 won't... pc just freeze unexpectedly with no
    > reason... what is not the case with FC4 or MS Windows XP (home).

    So newer OSs fail, while old ones run. Still sounds like ACPI to me.

  6. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 15:41:15 +0000, Warren Block wrote:
    > So newer OSs fail, while old ones run. Still sounds like ACPI to me.

    Thank you all... the first I'll try to see how it works when I finish
    installation of 5.3 release. My idea was to try FreeBSD with Gnome desktop
    environment.

    See you all later

  7. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    Vlado9A3CY wrote:
    > Thank you all... the first I'll try to see how it works when I finish
    > installation of 5.3 release. My idea was to try FreeBSD with Gnome desktop
    > environment.

    Hint: with that little RAM, you should really try a lighter desktop
    environment. For example Xfce.
    Hint 2: If you have enough hard disk space, make your swap partition
    larger than the default in sysinstall.
    You will need it if you ever decide to compile large programs from ports
    (even if it is slower).
    Hint 3: after you get the installation working, update the system to the
    latest available for your version (5.5-stable I think).
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  8. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    Vlado9A3CY wrote:

    > I'll see how my 5.3 release will work. Maybe it would be okay for for
    > me at this moment... I could possibly learn something

    Have you tried with a liveCD? I leaned a lot from this /just ready/
    packages. And with them i can even have a fast test with 7.0 and 6.2 for my
    problems of hardware.
    Just to see ... curiosity.

    --
    Alex ARNZ
    Please visit my website: http://www.kuschelbaerchen.net

  9. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 17:38:33 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

    > Hint: with that little RAM, you should really try a lighter desktop
    > environment. For example Xfce.

    By expirience that this old pc works okay with WinXP... and FC4 linux with
    Gnome (and KDE), it should probably work with gnome under FreeBSD... but
    I'll try Xfce too anyway, thank you!

    > Hint 2: If you have enough hard disk space, make your swap partition
    > larger than the default in sysinstall. You will need it if you ever
    > decide to compile large programs from ports (even if it is slower).

    I have approx 12GB free on my hd for FreeBSD and I'll make bigger swap next
    time, thank you!

    > Hint 3: after you get the installation working, update the system to the
    > latest available for your version (5.5-stable I think).

    I'll do that too, thank you!

  10. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 19:03:09 +0100, Alex Arnz wrote:

    > Have you tried with a liveCD?

    I'll try to find it for sure. Your info is my very first knowledge that
    FreeBSD exists as live CD... thank you Alex!

  11. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    Vlado9A3CY wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 19:03:09 +0100, Alex Arnz wrote:
    >
    >> Have you tried with a liveCD?

    > I'll try to find it for sure. Your info is my very first knowledge that
    > FreeBSD exists as live CD... thank you Alex!

    For the 6.2
    http://www.freesbie.org/

    For the beta4 of 7.0
    http://ivoras.sharanet.org/stuff/fre...alpha2.iso.bz2
    (i don't give you the page with the link because it's in italian)

    --
    Alex ARNZ
    Please visit my website: http://www.kuschelbaerchen.net

  12. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    On Fri, 04 Jan 2008 21:30:49 +0100, Alex Arnz wrote:

    > http://www.freesbie.org/

    Thank you Alex... find and downloaded versions 1.1 and 2.1 of freesbie

    In the mean time, my FreeBSD 5.3 works... and I sucessfully installed
    gnome desktop environment... and it works... yessssss ))

    Thanks a lot anyway!

  13. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    I think provide more information on where did the fb stop would help others
    find whether they have the same problem.
    I used to meet the problem that the fb6.0 stop at the step after/doing the
    harddisk check.
    Then, I installed the 6.2, every thing went OK, so may be you can try the
    fb7.0.

    Kemian

    "Vlado9A3CY" 写入消息
    > Hi! I'm brand new in FreeBSD , at this particular moment installing
    > FreeBSD 5.3 into old machine with Intel Celeron 466 MHz with 224MBs of
    > RAM.
    > I did the same two days ago and it worked, but yesterday I downloaded
    > 6.2-release and tried to install it (after deleting existing slice with
    > 5.3).
    >
    > This 6.2 release installation was total disaster and didn't boot up. It
    > stacked somewhere in the middle between boot and login .
    >
    > Maybe someone can tell me is there some particular reason that my
    > processor and amount of RAM are not enough for 6.2 release.
    >
    > The same happens with linux installations on that machine. FC4 works fine,
    > but FC5, WBEL4, Ubuntu 6.06 won't... pc just freeze unexpectedly with no
    > reason... what is not the case with FC4 or MS Windows XP (home).
    >
    > Thank you and please don't forget that no matter of several years of
    > expirience with linux, it does not make me nothing else then new in
    > FreeBSD and unix...

  14. Re: 6.2-release and Celeron 466MHz with 224MB of RAM

    Vlado9A3CY writes:

    > Hi! I'm brand new in FreeBSD , at this particular moment installing
    > FreeBSD 5.3 into old machine with Intel Celeron 466 MHz with 224MBs of RAM.
    > I did the same two days ago and it worked, but yesterday I downloaded
    > 6.2-release and tried to install it (after deleting existing slice with
    > 5.3).
    >
    > This 6.2 release installation was total disaster and didn't boot up. It
    > stacked somewhere in the middle between boot and login .
    >
    > Maybe someone can tell me is there some particular reason that my
    > processor and amount of RAM are not enough for 6.2 release.

    The problem lies somewhere else than the CPU and memory. It should
    run and be usable even with a desktop GUI.

    -- Patrick

+ Reply to Thread