Run Pure 64 Bit FreeBSD - BSD

This is a discussion on Run Pure 64 Bit FreeBSD - BSD ; Hi!! Anyone knows how to make freebsd-7 run in pure 64 bit mode? I notice during buildworlds that its building i386 compatibility stuff. (I don't want or need that) This is what I have /etc/make.conf CPUTYPE=athlon64 CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer ...

  1. Run Pure 64 Bit FreeBSD

    Hi!!

    Anyone knows how to make freebsd-7 run in pure 64 bit mode? I notice
    during buildworlds that its building i386 compatibility stuff. (I don't
    want or need that)

    This is what I have /etc/make.conf

    CPUTYPE=athlon64
    CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fstack-protector
    NO_PROFILE=true
    NO_GAMES=true
    NO_BLUETOOTHE=true
    PERL_VER=5.8.8
    PERL_VERSION=5.8.8

    The first three lines of my header kernel specify

    machine amd64
    cpu HAMMER
    ident MYKERNEL

    I don't use any x86 programs from the ports tree, so why build the i386
    stuff?

    How would you suggest I go about making my freebsd pure amd64 without
    the i386 stuff?

    TIA

  2. Re: Run Pure 64 Bit FreeBSD

    Hi Timmy,

    First up, a warning: this reply doesn't answer your question.

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 17:30:18 -0500, Timmy wrote:
    > Anyone knows how to make freebsd-7 run in pure 64 bit mode? I notice
    > during buildworlds that its building i386 compatibility stuff. (I don't
    > want or need that)

    I don't need i386 compatability (or Linux) myself, either; but read on...

    > This is what I have /etc/make.conf
    >
    > CPUTYPE=athlon64
    > CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fstack-protector NO_PROFILE=true
    > NO_GAMES=true
    > NO_BLUETOOTHE=true
    > PERL_VER=5.8.8
    > PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
    >
    > The first three lines of my header kernel specify
    >
    > machine amd64
    > cpu HAMMER
    > ident MYKERNEL
    >
    > I don't use any x86 programs from the ports tree, so why build the i386
    > stuff?

    In my case: it's because there's a significant advantage to running a
    stock GENERIC kernel, particularly if you're tracking -STABLE or -
    CURRENT. That vastly out-weighs a little extra kernel rebuild time or
    KVM space used: not having to maintain my "own" version of the config
    file as new stuff (drivers, options) is added and old removed. Apart
    from the convenience factor, it greatly simplifies the dialog that you
    have with the mailing lists if anything ever breaks.

    Also: why NO_GAMES? It's not as though it's a particularly big
    collection, and some of the stuff in there (eg random) is (IMO) pretty
    useful. There aren't actually any real games in there (like adventure)
    now: they've been moved out to ports.

    Also: by overriding CFLAGS to leave out the standard -fno-strict-
    aliasing, you're almost certainly going to break the kernel and probably
    userland and ports. I know that some committers are working on fixing
    the breakage that is caused by some traditional type-punning style coding
    so that things do work without this flag, but since it's still in the
    default share/mk/sys.mk, I have to assume that they're not finished yet.

    > How would you suggest I go about making my freebsd pure amd64 without
    > the i386 stuff?

    Purity is a nice idea and all, but what does it buy you, in this
    instance? I can't imagine that there would be many amd64 machines so
    resource constrained as to make i386 compatability a significant chore.

    Cheers,

    --
    Andrew

  3. Re: Run Pure 64 Bit FreeBSD

    On 3 Jan 2008 23:43:35 GMT
    Andrew Reilly wrote:

    > Hi Timmy,
    >
    > First up, a warning: this reply doesn't answer your question.
    >
    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 17:30:18 -0500, Timmy wrote:
    > > Anyone knows how to make freebsd-7 run in pure 64 bit mode? I notice
    > > during buildworlds that its building i386 compatibility stuff. (I
    > > don't want or need that)

    > I don't need i386 compatability (or Linux) myself, either; but read
    > on...
    >
    > > This is what I have /etc/make.conf
    > >
    > > CPUTYPE=athlon64
    > > CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fstack-protector
    > > NO_PROFILE=true NO_GAMES=true
    > > NO_BLUETOOTHE=true
    > > PERL_VER=5.8.8
    > > PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
    > >
    > > The first three lines of my header kernel specify
    > >
    > > machine amd64
    > > cpu HAMMER
    > > ident MYKERNEL
    > >
    > > I don't use any x86 programs from the ports tree, so why build the
    > > i386 stuff?

    > In my case: it's because there's a significant advantage to running a
    > stock GENERIC kernel, particularly if you're tracking -STABLE or -
    > CURRENT.

    I've always tracked stable. What I do is after a cvsup to stable/
    current branch I compare Generic with my custom kernel to see if their
    is any options I want or check out any changes etc.. I like to blow
    away all of the stuff in the kernel I don't need/use and build the
    smallest kernel possible. I've had I don't know how many kernels fail
    in the process and had to go back and add the stuff I thought I
    didn't need :-) Live and learn..

    >That vastly out-weighs a little extra kernel rebuild time
    > or KVM space used: not having to maintain my "own" version of the
    > config file as new stuff (drivers, options) is added and old
    > removed. Apart from the convenience factor, it greatly simplifies
    > the dialog that you have with the mailing lists if anything ever
    > breaks.

    I've never used the mailing list to ask questions, I am subscribed, I
    learn from what others are asking and the responses they receive. I
    don't want to get told to RTFM for questions I might have. I started to
    ask about Freebsd's "Security Event Auditing" and 'Audit
    Configuration' I found it a bit complicated but I figured it out.
    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ook/audit.html
    more from experimentation than the handbook article above.

    When is comes to stuff like jails and mac I read the handbook and
    google and eventually figure it out with trial and error.

    > Also: why NO_GAMES? It's not as though it's a particularly big
    > collection, and some of the stuff in there (eg random) is (IMO)
    > pretty useful. There aren't actually any real games in there (like
    > adventure) now: they've been moved out to ports.

    I don't never use the games, see no need to build them.

    > Also: by overriding CFLAGS to leave out the standard -fno-strict-
    > aliasing, you're almost certainly going to break the kernel and
    > probably userland and ports.

    That's what I've been told, but to be honest I've had no problems
    whatsoever. :-) One of the things that will hose your system is
    funroll-loops, also, if you're going to use GCC's new
    -fstack-protector to protect against stack-smashing attacks. Do not
    buildworld and kernel with -fstack-protector-all, this will hose your
    system. It's cool to drop it in make.conf for building programs from
    ports.
    SPP works great. check it out here.
    http://tataz.chchile.org/~tataz/FreeBSD/SSP/

    >I know that some committers are working
    > on fixing the breakage that is caused by some traditional
    > type-punning style coding so that things do work without this flag,
    > but since it's still in the default share/mk/sys.mk, I have to assume
    > that they're not finished yet.

    Where is your sense of adventure? Drop it in and install/reinstall a
    few programs. I've had no problems, firefox, mplayer, mutt, postfix,
    procmail, fluxbox, xmms, fetchmail and many other programs work great.

    > > How would you suggest I go about making my freebsd pure amd64
    > > without the i386 stuff?

    > Purity is a nice idea and all, but what does it buy you, in this
    > instance? I can't imagine that there would be many amd64 machines so
    > resource constrained as to make i386 compatability a significant
    > chore.

    I takes about 45 minutes to to a buildworld I would say about 10
    minutes of that is i386 stuff. If you're running 64bits reboot your
    box/dmseg and you will see something that says, enabling i386
    compatibility, don't know how much resources that's eating, but why
    have it if you don't need it?

    > Cheers,

  4. Re: Run Pure 64 Bit FreeBSD

    In article <20080103173018.223598d8@suddenlink.net>,
    Timmy wrote:

    >Hi!!
    >
    >Anyone knows how to make freebsd-7 run in pure 64 bit mode? I notice
    >during buildworlds that its building i386 compatibility stuff. (I don't
    >want or need that)
    >
    >This is what I have /etc/make.conf
    >
    >CPUTYPE=athlon64
    >CFLAGS= -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer -fstack-protector
    >NO_PROFILE=true
    >NO_GAMES=true
    >NO_BLUETOOTHE=true
    >PERL_VER=5.8.8
    >PERL_VERSION=5.8.8
    >
    >The first three lines of my header kernel specify
    >
    >machine amd64
    >cpu HAMMER
    >ident MYKERNEL
    >
    >I don't use any x86 programs from the ports tree, so why build the i386
    >stuff?
    >
    >How would you suggest I go about making my freebsd pure amd64 without
    >the i386 stuff?
    >
    >TIA

    The WITH_* and WITHOUT_* switches are documented in the src.conf(5)
    manpage. The "modern" way of using them is in /etc/src.conf, not
    /etc/make.conf.

    Anyway:

    WITHOUT_LIB32=true

    is what you're looking for, I believe.

    Just make sure your kernel config doesn't contain any COMPAT_* options
    that depend on the 32-bit stuff (like Linux, for instance).

    HTH

    --
    Conrad J. Sabatier

    "Procrastinate now; don't put it off." -- Ellen Degeneres

+ Reply to Thread