FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash? - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash? - BSD ; Hello Before I give it a try, I figured I should ask the experts: I'd like to install FreeBSD 6.2 and Asterisk on a Compact Flash so that I don't need to add an IDE drive to this IBM Netvista ...

  1. FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    Hello

    Before I give it a try, I figured I should ask the experts:
    I'd like to install FreeBSD 6.2 and Asterisk on a Compact Flash so
    that I don't need to add an IDE drive to this IBM Netvista thinclient:

    http://silicon-verl.de/home/flo/soft...tstation-8364/

    Do you think it's a good idea to install either a read-only FreeBSD
    (keeping logs and voicemail in RAM, and save those on a USB key if I
    need to shut down the server), or a limited-write FreeBSD (eg. logs
    should only be written every 5mn, so as to avoid wearing the CF card
    too fast)?

    If it is indeed an appropriate configuration for FreeBSD, I'm
    interested in any advice, documentation, etc.

    Thank you.

  2. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 13:33:19 UTC, Gilles Ganault
    wrote:

    > Before I give it a try, I figured I should ask the experts:
    > I'd like to install FreeBSD 6.2 and Asterisk on a Compact Flash so
    > that I don't need to add an IDE drive to this IBM Netvista thinclient:
    >
    > http://silicon-verl.de/home/flo/soft...tstation-8364/
    >
    > Do you think it's a good idea to install either a read-only FreeBSD
    > (keeping logs and voicemail in RAM, and save those on a USB key if I
    > need to shut down the server), or a limited-write FreeBSD (eg. logs
    > should only be written every 5mn, so as to avoid wearing the CF card
    > too fast)?
    >
    > If it is indeed an appropriate configuration for FreeBSD, I'm
    > interested in any advice, documentation, etc.

    Look at nanoBSD, in: /usr/src/tools/tools/nanobsd. There's also stuff
    in the documents area on the freebsd.org website.

    I run a firewall (and some other functions) on a Mini-ITX system with a
    1GB CF card (actually, it needs less than a quarter of that). Low power,
    and only one small fan in a 1U case. It's been running for nearly a year
    now.

    The only logs I want to keep long-term are NFS mounted on another BSD
    box - the mailserver. You could that with your logs and the voicemail.

    To simplify matters, I have a 40GB laptop drive in an external USB case.
    I plug that in to build new kernels, etc.

    Email me if you want to discuss at length.

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  3. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    On 2 Jan 2008 14:11:02 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:
    >Look at nanoBSD, in: /usr/src/tools/tools/nanobsd. There's also stuff
    >in the documents area on the freebsd.org website.

    Thanks for the link. I started reading "FreeBSD and Solid State
    Devices" http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...s/solid-state/

    >Email me if you want to discuss at length.

    I might bother you later if I get stuck ;-)

  4. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    On Wed, 2 Jan 2008 14:21:08 UTC, Gilles Ganault
    wrote:

    > On 2 Jan 2008 14:11:02 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:
    > >Look at nanoBSD, in: /usr/src/tools/tools/nanobsd. There's also stuff
    > >in the documents area on the freebsd.org website.

    > Thanks for the link. I started reading "FreeBSD and Solid State
    > Devices" http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...s/solid-state/

    Yup. That's quite old, so look at this too:

    http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...bsd/index.html

    I found a few problems with the nanobsd.sh script, but it's easily
    modified. I notice that my fixes (which I never did feed back) have
    mostly been replicated now anyway.

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  5. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:

    > Before I give it a try, I figured I should ask the experts:
    > I'd like to install FreeBSD 6.2 and Asterisk on a Compact Flash so
    > that I don't need to add an IDE drive to this IBM Netvista thinclient:
    >
    > http://silicon-verl.de/home/flo/soft...tstation-8364/

    If the CF slot acts like IDE, you could use a microdrive or even just CF
    flash. Depends on how much writing it does. There's also this, which
    might be an easier start:

    http://askozia.com/pbx

    > Do you think it's a good idea to install either a read-only FreeBSD
    > (keeping logs and voicemail in RAM, and save those on a USB key if I
    > need to shut down the server), or a limited-write FreeBSD (eg. logs
    > should only be written every 5mn, so as to avoid wearing the CF card
    > too fast)?

    If you have another server that's always on, might be a good place to
    use remote syslog.

    Otherwise, small CF cards are now free, and large capacity don't cost
    much. I read something like 2 years estimated life at "normal" write
    rates, but can't recall where. Soekris mailing lists, maybe.

  6. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:

    > Do you think it's a good idea to install either a read-only FreeBSD
    > (keeping logs and voicemail in RAM, and save those on a USB key if I
    > need to shut down the server), or a limited-write FreeBSD (eg. logs
    > should only be written every 5mn, so as to avoid wearing the CF card
    > too fast)?
    >
    > If it is indeed an appropriate configuration for FreeBSD, I'm
    > interested in any advice, documentation, etc.

    I do like the idea of avoiding an unnecessary hard disk. And you can
    always image the CF card somewhere to give you a backup.

    Possibly worth checking out the guides at Ultradesic:

    http://www.ultradesic.com/index.php?section=21

    Those guides are partly for embedded applications based on Soekris kit
    but they seem more generally useful too.

    Have fun with your project.

    - Martin.

  7. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 14:58:34 -0000, Warren Block
    wrote:
    >http://askozia.com/pbx

    I knew about Askozia, but now that I got the CF cards, I gave it a
    shot and... wow! :-) I'm in business. Great piece of work.

    >If you have another server that's always on, might be a good place to
    >use remote syslog.

    I'll see how it goes. Since Askozia is built to run on a CF, it's
    meant to minimize write-accesses to the CF, so I'll probably won't
    have to worry about this.

    Next step: Moving my own dialplan to it, and adding poor man's CRM.
    http://www.simplecustomer.com/

    Thanks.

  8. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 05:12:24 +0100, Gilles Ganault
    wrote:
    >I knew about Askozia, but now that I got the CF cards, I gave it a
    >shot and... wow! :-) I'm in business. Great piece of work.

    False alarm :-/ Although Askozia is very nice... it's totally
    off-limit. All you can do is add some phone extensions, but it won't
    let you make changes to the dialplan, etc.

    Before I look at other CF-based Asterisk distros, or even build one
    myself (shrug), I'd like to take a look at what Askozia did write to
    the CF, but fdisk fails on Linux:

    # mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt/cf/
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type

    # mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt/cf/ -t bsd
    # mount: unknown filesystem type 'bsd'

    # mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt/cf/ -t 44bsd
    mount: unknown filesystem type '44bsd'

    # mount /dev/sdb4 /mnt/cf/ -t ufs
    mount: unknown filesystem type 'ufs'

    # mount -t u2fs /dev/sdb4 /mnt/cf
    mount: unknown filesystem type 'u2fs'

    Does it mean fdisk can't access FreeBSD partitions? Should I use
    another tool?

    Thanks.

  9. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 05:12:24 +0100, Gilles Ganault
    > wrote:
    >> I knew about Askozia, but now that I got the CF cards, I gave it a
    >> shot and... wow! :-) I'm in business. Great piece of work.

    > False alarm :-/ Although Askozia is very nice... it's totally
    > off-limit. All you can do is add some phone extensions, but it won't
    > let you make changes to the dialplan, etc.
    >
    > Before I look at other CF-based Asterisk distros, or even build one
    > myself (shrug), I'd like to take a look at what Askozia did write to
    > the CF, but fdisk fails on Linux:

    Are you using Linux to access this image / content?
    If so, why are you doing this on Linux?

    Anyway, I'm using FreeBSD:
    tingo@kg-work$ uname -a
    FreeBSD kg-work.kg4.no 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #5: Sun Nov
    4 16:19:56 CET 2007 root@kg-work.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SS51G
    i386

    I downloaded the image from Askozia, and ran file on it:
    tingo@kg-work$ file pbx-generic-pc-pb12.2.img
    pbx-generic-pc-pb12.2.img: gzip compressed data, was "image.bin", from
    Unix, max compression

    Aha, so the image is gzip'ed. I run zcat on it:
    zcat pbx-generic-pc-pb12.2.img > image.bin

    Then I prepare to mount it:
    root@kg-work# mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /home/tingo/dl/bsd/Askozia/image.bin
    md0

    First, I check what fdisk have to say:

    root@kg-work# fdisk /dev/md0
    ******* Working on device /dev/md0 *******
    parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
    cylinders=2 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

    parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
    cylinders=2 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)

    Media sector size is 512
    Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
    Information from DOS bootblock is:
    The data for partition 1 is:

    The data for partition 2 is:

    The data for partition 3 is:

    The data for partition 4 is:
    sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 0, size 50000 (24 Meg), flag 80 (active)
    beg: cyl 0/ head 0/ sector 1;
    end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63

    Ok, it seems normal enough for me.
    root@kg-work# ls /dev/md0*
    /dev/md0 /dev/md0a /dev/md0b /dev/md0c

    I mount it:
    root@kg-work# mount /dev/md0a /mnt
    and list the contents:
    tingo@kg-work$ ls -l /mnt
    total 9026
    drwxr-xr-x 3 root wheel 512 Nov 16 15:43 boot
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Nov 16 15:43 conf
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root wheel 2820028 Nov 16 15:43 kernel.gz
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root wheel 6396878 Nov 16 15:43 mfsroot.gz

    Easy enough.
    I took a look at the "b" partition too (/dev/md0b):
    tingo@kg-work$ ls -l /mnt
    total 5
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 1536 Nov 16 15:42 modules
    drwxr-xr-x 2 root wheel 512 Nov 16 15:42 moh
    drwxr-xr-x 14 root wheel 1536 Nov 16 15:42 sounds

    Perhaps that is were alle the goodies are?
    Good luck!
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  10. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    On Thu, 03 Jan 2008 17:58:24 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen
    wrote:
    >Are you using Linux to access this image / content? If so, why
    > are you doing this on Linux?

    Because the host that I had handy was running Linux, and I assumed a
    stock CentOS would be able to mount FreeBSD partitions :-) Looks like
    it's experimental, so I'll just burn a FreeBSD live CD, and follow
    your steps.

    >Perhaps that is were alle the goodies are?

    No idea. There isn't much information on how Askozia works internally.
    If I can just add my dialplan, and support for SQLite from PHP
    scripts, I'll be all set.

    Thanks.

  11. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    wrote:
    >Are you using Linux to access this image / content? If so, why are you
    > doing this on Linux? Anyway, I'm using FreeBSD:

    I installed FreeBSD 6.2 on a spare HD, hooked up the USB card reader,
    inserted the Askozia CF so I could repeat the steps you gave above...
    but I get an error :-/

    =========
    # dmesg | grep da

    da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
    da0: Removable Direct Access SCSI-0
    device
    da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
    da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not
    present

    da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 1
    da1: Removable Direct Access SCSI-0
    device
    da1: 1.000MB/s transfers
    da1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not
    present

    # mkdir /mnt/cf
    # mount /dev/da1 /mnt/cf
    mount: /dev/da1 on /mnt/cf: incorrect super block
    =========

    FWIW, the reader works fine under CentOS on the exact same host.

    Thanks.

  12. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > I installed FreeBSD 6.2 on a spare HD, hooked up the USB card reader,
    > inserted the Askozia CF so I could repeat the steps you gave above...
    > but I get an error :-/

    Don't worry, we'll ix that. :-)

    > =========
    > # dmesg | grep da
    >
    > da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
    > da0: Removable Direct Access SCSI-0
    > device
    > da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
    > da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not
    > present
    >
    > da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 1
    > da1: Removable Direct Access SCSI-0
    > device
    > da1: 1.000MB/s transfers
    > da1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not
    > present
    >
    > # mkdir /mnt/cf
    > # mount /dev/da1 /mnt/cf
    > mount: /dev/da1 on /mnt/cf: incorrect super block

    First of all: the messages above indicate that there is no media (no
    card) in the reader. Are there a card in the reader?
    The usb card reader I use doesn't signal media insertion / removal
    correctly. I solve that by inserting the card I want to read before
    connection the reader to my machine.

    Well, it seems you skipped a step: use fdisk on the card to see if it is
    sliced:
    fdisk /dev/da1

    If it is sliced, you will have to figure out the correct slice, and then
    run disklabel on that.
    Example: for slice 1, disklabel /dev/da1s1

    Then you can see which partitions are on your slice. Finalyy, you select
    one partition and mount that.
    If you think it is slice 1, and want to mount partition a, the mount
    command will be: mount /dev/da1s1a /mnt/cf

    > FWIW, the reader works fine under CentOS on the exact same host.

    And I guess it probably will work under FreeBSD as well.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  13. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 13:48:32 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen
    wrote:
    >First of all: the messages above indicate that there is no media (no
    >card) in the reader. Are there a card in the reader?

    Yes. I also tried cold-booting the host with the reader + CF card
    plugged in, but I still get this with "dmesg | grep da":

    ==========
    # dmesg | grep da
    FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
    da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
    da0: Removable Direct Access SCSI-0
    device
    da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
    da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not
    present
    da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 1
    da1: Removable Direct Access SCSI-0
    device
    da1: 1.000MB/s transfers
    da1: 977MB (2001888 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 977C)
    (snip)
    (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
    (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
    (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): NOT READY csi:0,aa,55,42 asc:3a,0
    (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Medium not present field replaceable unit: 42
    (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Unretryable error
    Opened disk da0 -> 6
    (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
    (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
    (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): NOT READY csi:0,aa,55,42 asc:3a,0
    (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Medium not present field replaceable unit: 42
    (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Unretryable error
    (snip)
    ==========

    >Well, it seems you skipped a step: use fdisk on the card to see if it is
    >sliced:

    Actually, I used this command in Linux to copy the Askozia image to
    the CF:
    1. I used fdisk to remove the FAT16 partition
    2. dd if=pbx.img of=/dev/sdb

    FWIW, dd of=dev/sdb1 failed.

    >fdisk /dev/da1

    ******* Working on device /dev/da1 *******
    parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
    cylinders=977 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

    parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
    cylinders=977 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

    Media sector size is 512
    Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
    Information from DOS bootblock is:
    The data for partition 1 is:

    The data for partition 2 is:

    The data for partition 3 is:

    The data for partition 4 is:
    sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 0, size 50000 (24 Meg), flag 80 (active)
    beg: cyl 0/ head 0/ sector 1;
    end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63

    >If it is sliced, you will have to figure out the correct slice, and then
    >run disklabel on that. Example: for slice 1, disklabel /dev/da1s1

    # disklabel /dev/da1s1
    disklabel: /dev/da1s1: No such file or directory

    # disklabel /dev/da1s0
    disklabel: /dev/da1s0: No such file or directory

    I'm not clear as to why dd failed copying an image to a partition but
    succeeded on a partition-less card. FWIW, it has to be bootable since
    the PC will boot off the CF card.

    Thanks.

  14. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > Yes. I also tried cold-booting the host with the reader + CF card
    > plugged in, but I still get this with "dmesg | grep da":
    >
    > ==========
    > # dmesg | grep da
    > FreeBSD is a registered trademark of The FreeBSD Foundation.
    > da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
    > da0: Removable Direct Access SCSI-0
    > device
    > da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
    > da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not
    > present
    > da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 1
    > da1: Removable Direct Access SCSI-0
    > device
    > da1: 1.000MB/s transfers
    > da1: 977MB (2001888 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 977C)

    Well, your reader has multiple slots. You will get errors for any empty
    slots. As long as the inserted card is detected (like above), don't
    worry about it.

    > ******* Working on device /dev/da1 *******
    > parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
    > cylinders=977 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)
    >
    > parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
    > cylinders=977 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)
    >
    > Media sector size is 512
    > Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
    > Information from DOS bootblock is:
    > The data for partition 1 is:
    >
    > The data for partition 2 is:
    >
    > The data for partition 3 is:
    >
    > The data for partition 4 is:
    > sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    > start 0, size 50000 (24 Meg), flag 80 (active)
    > beg: cyl 0/ head 0/ sector 1;
    > end: cyl 1023/ head 254/ sector 63

    Ok, fdisk tells you that the disk is sliced, and that slice 4 (s4) is a
    FreeBSD slice.

    >> If it is sliced, you will have to figure out the correct slice, and then
    >> run disklabel on that. Example: for slice 1, disklabel /dev/da1s1

    > # disklabel /dev/da1s1
    > disklabel: /dev/da1s1: No such file or directory

    But you need to use slice 4 instead (per fdisk output above). Try
    disklabel /dev/da1s4 instead.

    > I'm not clear as to why dd failed copying an image to a partition but
    > succeeded on a partition-less card.

    FreeBSD and Linux handles (and names) disks and partitions differently.
    You'll just have to live with that.

    HTH
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  15. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 16:41:19 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen
    wrote:
    >But you need to use slice 4 instead (per fdisk output above). Try
    >disklabel /dev/da1s4 instead.

    Weird :-/

    # disklabel /dev/da1s4
    disklabel: /dev/da1s4: No such file or directory

    The CF card hasn't moved from the reader.

    >FreeBSD and Linux handles (and names) disks and partitions differently.
    >You'll just have to live with that.

    This is fine. I meant that I don't know why under Linux "dd
    -of=/dev/sdb1" failed while removing the partition and running "dd
    -of=/dev/sdb" worked.

  16. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:04:18 +0100, Gilles Ganault
    wrote:
    ># disklabel /dev/da1s4
    >disklabel: /dev/da1s4: No such file or directory

    More information :
    ===========
    # ll /dev/da*
    crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 93 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da0
    crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 94 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da1
    crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 98 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da1a
    crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 99 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da1b
    crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 100 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da1c
    crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 95 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da2
    crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 96 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da3
    crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 97 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da4

    ===========

    ]# disklabel /dev/da1
    # /dev/da1:
    8 partitions:
    # size offset fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
    a: 20120 16 4.2BSD 1024 8192 2520
    b: 12856 20136 4.2BSD 1024 8192 1608
    c: 32992 0 unused 0 0 # "raw" part,
    don't edit
    disklabel: partition c doesn't cover the whole unit!
    disklabel: An incorrect partition c may cause problems for standard
    system utilities

    ===========

    # disklabel /dev/da1c
    # /dev/da1c:
    8 partitions:
    # size offset fstype [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
    a: 20120 16 4.2BSD 1024 8192 2520
    b: 12856 20136 4.2BSD 1024 8192 1608
    c: 32992 0 unused 0 0 # "raw" part,
    don't edit

  17. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    Gilles Ganault wrote:
    > On Sun, 06 Jan 2008 19:04:18 +0100, Gilles Ganault
    > wrote:
    >> # disklabel /dev/da1s4
    >> disklabel: /dev/da1s4: No such file or directory

    > More information :
    > ===========
    > # ll /dev/da*
    > crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 93 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da0
    > crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 94 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da1
    > crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 98 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da1a
    > crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 99 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da1b
    > crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 100 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da1c
    > crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 95 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da2
    > crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 96 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da3
    > crw-r----- 1 root operator 0, 97 Jan 6 14:05 /dev/da4

    Ok. what happens if you try to mount da1a or da1b then?
    Like so: mount /dev/da1a /mnt

    The weirdness probably is the result of you the issue with sdb vs.sdb1
    on Linux.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  18. Re: FreeBSD 6.2 on a Compact Flash?

    On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 00:30:37 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen
    wrote:
    >Ok. what happens if you try to mount da1a or da1b then?
    >Like so: mount /dev/da1a /mnt

    Finally, it worked :-)

    I can mount /dev/da1a or /dev/da1b, but it fails with /dev/da1c, which
    was expected, as "disklabel /dev/da1" says "# "raw" part, don't edit"
    for slice c.

    >The weirdness probably is the result of you the issue with sdb vs.sdb1
    >on Linux.

    Or maybe the Askozia image does special things to it.

    In any case, since Askozia won't let users make changes, I'll move on
    to AstLinux, which is apparently more flexible.

    Tusen takk!

+ Reply to Thread