Questions about upgrading between releases - BSD

This is a discussion on Questions about upgrading between releases - BSD ; Hi group! I've been managing a few production FreeBSD 6.2 servers for the last year and I'm really impressed with the stability and performance. The new year is coming, 6.3 is near out and I have a few questions about ...

  1. Questions about upgrading between releases

    Hi group!

    I've been managing a few production FreeBSD 6.2 servers for the last
    year and I'm really impressed with the stability and performance. The
    new year is coming, 6.3 is near out and I have a few questions about
    upgrading to the next production release. I've thoroughtly read the
    pertinent sections in the FreeBSD handbook and the last (excellent)
    book of Michael Lucas (Absolute FreeBSD 2nd ed.) before asking these
    questions.

    1) Upgrading kernel and userland

    Coming from a Debian background, I've updated kernel and userland
    during the last months using "freebsd-update" for binary updates. I
    understand that this is equivalent to tracking the source of the 6.2
    errata (security) branch and rebuilding kernel and world.

    However, I did not find any mention of a mechanism to upgrade from 6.2
    to 6.3 release using "freebsd-update". Does this means that the only
    procedure to upgrade between releases is to use "csup" to upgrade
    sources (/usr/src) to the new release (6.3) branch and to rebuild
    kernel/world? If this is true, does this way of upgrading prevent
    future use of "freebsd-update" within the new release branch (6.3)?

    2) Upgrading packages

    I've installed my "external" applications using packages. I understand
    that packages are ports that have been compiled for a specific
    release. Thus, when ports are constantly upgraded (by security updates
    or new versions), packages are not upgraded by their mainteners once
    the release is out? Or maybe only security updates are added to the
    packages included in a specific release?

    Again, it is not clear for me how to upgrade from the old (packaged)
    version of an application (which is tied to the 6.2 release) to the
    new version of the application (which will be tied to the new 6.3
    release). Do I simply need to desinstall (pkg_delete) the old version
    and install the new version (pkg_add) after updating the $PACKAGESITE
    to point to the package FTP directory for the new release?

    Hope my question are clear! Many thanks for any hints and happy new
    year!

    Hans.

  2. Re: Questions about upgrading between releases

    Hans Ivers wrote:

    Thanks for starting this thread, I'm in a similar situation, and coming
    from Debian as well ;-)

    > 1) Upgrading kernel and userland
    >
    > Coming from a Debian background, I've updated kernel and userland
    > during the last months using "freebsd-update" for binary updates. I
    > understand that this is equivalent to tracking the source of the 6.2
    > errata (security) branch and rebuilding kernel and world.

    That's my understanding as well. Although I'm still puzzled about the
    proper way of updating a custom kernel during this process of errata
    patching, before or after freebsd-update?

    > However, I did not find any mention of a mechanism to upgrade from 6.2
    > to 6.3 release using "freebsd-update". Does this means that the only
    > procedure to upgrade between releases is to use "csup" to upgrade
    > sources (/usr/src) to the new release (6.3) branch and to rebuild
    > kernel/world?

    If I understand Lucas correctly then you do have the alternative to use
    sysinstall which should be able to *upgrade* from one release or errata
    level to another release (Lucas, page 380). But, as mentioned above, I'm
    not an expert w.r.t. FBSD.

    > 2) Upgrading packages

    Here I'm lost and waiting for others ...

    Regards,
    Michael
    --
    to let

  3. Re: Questions about upgrading between releases

    Hans Ivers wrote:
    > However, I did not find any mention of a mechanism to upgrade from 6.2
    > to 6.3 release using "freebsd-update". Does this means that the only

    This page from the handbook suggests that freebsd-update should be able
    to upgrade from one release to another:
    http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURR...s/upgrade.html

    Note: I have never used freebsd-update myself, so I don't know more
    about it.

    > I've installed my "external" applications using packages. I understand
    > that packages are ports that have been compiled for a specific
    > release. Thus, when ports are constantly upgraded (by security updates
    > or new versions), packages are not upgraded by their mainteners once
    > the release is out? Or maybe only security updates are added to the
    > packages included in a specific release?

    My understanding of the way that this works is like this: in preparation
    of a new release the ports tree is "frozen" at a specific point in time,
    and the package building process starts. After all packages are built
    (and tested, fixed, rebuilt and so on), the ports tree is unfrozen again.
    ("Frozen" in this context just means that additions to the ports tree
    are much more controlled; generally only security fixes and fixes for
    other showstoppers go in in the "frozen" period.)
    So in general; packages for a specific release (eg. 6.3-RELEASE)
    contains whatever fixes (security and otherwise) present in the ports
    tree at the time they were built. They are not (generally) rebuilt
    after that before the next release cycle (if my understanding is correct).

    Hope this helps some.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  4. Re: Questions about upgrading between releases

    Michael Grimm wrote:
    > If I understand Lucas correctly then you do have the alternative to use
    > sysinstall which should be able to *upgrade* from one release or errata
    > level to another release (Lucas, page 380). But, as mentioned above, I'm
    > not an expert w.r.t. FBSD.

    I can confirm that sysinstall does binary upgrades from one release to
    the next. I have done this many times, and it works well (generally).
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  5. Re: Questions about upgrading between releases

    On 31 déc, 11:52, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Hans Ivers wrote:
    > > However, I did not find any mention of a mechanism to upgrade from 6.2
    > > to 6.3 release using "freebsd-update". Does this means that the only

    > This page from the handbook suggests that freebsd-update should be able
    > to upgrade from one release to another:http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURR...s/upgrade.html

    Thanks for this link. I've read it carefully and i think it answers
    the first question :

    a) for 6.x releases, "freebsd-update" does not support upgrades
    between releases. So, the only binary upgrade procedure seems to
    involve "sysinstall" from a 6.3 release CD.

    b) beginning with 7.0 release, a new option (-r) has been added to
    "freebsd-update" and allows to upgrade between releases :

    -r newrelease
    Specify the new release to which freebsd-update should
    upgrade (upgrade command only).

    About binary upgrades of packages, i'm still puzzled..

    Hans.

  6. Re: Questions about upgrading between releases

    > > This page from the handbook suggests that freebsd-update should be able
    > > to upgrade from one release to another:http://www.freebsd.org/relnotes/CURR...s/upgrade.html

    An additional comment about my last post..

    When you read the release notes from CURRENT (the link provided by
    Torfinn) :

    "Beginning with FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE, binary upgrades between RELEASE
    versions (and snapshots of the various security branches) are
    supported using the freebsd-update(8) utility. The binary upgrade
    procedure will update unmodified userland utilities, as well as
    unmodified GENERIC or SMP kernels distributed as a part of an official
    FreeBSD release."

    My understanding of this paragraph is that "freebsd-update" provides
    updates within a release version (updates added in the errata branch)
    BUT ALSO upgrades from an older release to a new one (e.g., 6.2 to
    6.3).

    However, when you read the online man pages for 6.2 or 6.3 releases,
    the -r option for "freebsd-update" is not available. It only appears
    in man pages for 7.0 release.

    I don't have access to my servers now but i will check later if
    "freebsd-update" from 6.2 release is indeed capable of upgrading
    between releases.

    Hans.

  7. Re: Questions about upgrading between releases

    I've found additionnal information on Collin Percival website (the
    author of "freebsd-update") :

    It appears that "freebsd-update" from 6.2 release is not capable of
    upgrading between minor releases. So you have to download a script to
    act accordingly. In any case, it appears to be possible to perform a
    binary upgrade between 6.2 and 6.3 releases.

    http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007...n-upgrade.html

    More info about upgrading the kernel and userland from 6.2 to 7.0
    releases :

    http://www.daemonology.net/blog/2007...n-upgrade.html

    This last page briefly discusses the impact of major upgrades for
    kernel and userland on third-party applications, but the exact
    procedure to upgrade packages is still unclear for me.

    Hans.

  8. Re: Questions about upgrading between releases

    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Michael Grimm wrote:
    > > If I understand Lucas correctly then you do have the alternative to use
    > > sysinstall which should be able to *upgrade* from one release or errata
    > > level to another release (Lucas, page 380). But, as mentioned above, I'm
    > > not an expert w.r.t. FBSD.

    > I can confirm that sysinstall does binary upgrades from one release to
    > the next. I have done this many times, and it works well (generally).

    Same for me, never had a problem with binary upgrades.

    --

    Michel TALON

  9. Re: Questions about upgrading between releases

    Dnia 31.12.2007 Hans Ivers napisa³/a:

    > 2) Upgrading packages
    >
    > I've installed my "external" applications using packages. I understand
    > that packages are ports that have been compiled for a specific
    > release. Thus, when ports are constantly upgraded (by security updates
    > or new versions), packages are not upgraded by their mainteners once
    > the release is out? Or maybe only security updates are added to the
    > packages included in a specific release?
    >
    > Again, it is not clear for me how to upgrade from the old (packaged)
    > version of an application (which is tied to the 6.2 release) to the
    > new version of the application (which will be tied to the new 6.3
    > release). Do I simply need to desinstall (pkg_delete) the old version
    > and install the new version (pkg_add) after updating the $PACKAGESITE
    > to point to the package FTP directory for the new release?

    This should be trivial if you use portupgrade with -PP option that
    enforces binary only upgrade of all installed packages. So just
    binary upgrade your system first, and then use portupgrade
    (ports-mgmt/portupgrade).

    It might be worth to you also to read this Dru's blog post:
    http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/unix/bsd/...dd-magic-18897
    I commented there on some strategies one may choose towards
    installed package base.

    --
    Piotr Smyrak,
    piotr.smyrak.eko.org.pl