Upgrade problems to xorg 7.3 - BSD

This is a discussion on Upgrade problems to xorg 7.3 - BSD ; I upgraded my FreeBSD laptop to xorg 7.3 last week. I finally got everything to build and install, but a lot of stuff seems broken. The gnome-screensaver says it can't register with the message bus or sometimes is missing a ...

  1. Upgrade problems to xorg 7.3

    I upgraded my FreeBSD laptop to xorg 7.3 last week. I finally got
    everything to build and install, but a lot of stuff seems broken.

    The gnome-screensaver says it can't register with the message bus or
    sometimes is missing a shared library. Linux acroread also complains
    about missing libraries, but I commented out the place in the script
    that was complaining and it seems more or less OK.

    Firefox acts very strangely, sometimes freezing for the better part of
    a minute while fetching page elements which I know isn't network delay
    (the problem occurs with sites on the same LAN.)

    The strangest is that sometimes I hit a cursor key which then repeats
    forever, with no way to recover other than killing X and restarting.
    It's not hardware, I've had the same problem with PS2 and USB keyboards.

    Are any of these familiar? Any suggestions?

  2. Re: Upgrade problems to xorg 7.3

    John L wrote:
    > Are any of these familiar? Any suggestions?

    yes. yes - read /usr/ports/UPDATING, the entry about the Xorg 7.2 -> 7.3
    update.
    Basically, you might have to deinstall and reinstall any (all) ports
    that are misbehaving.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: Upgrade problems to xorg 7.3

    >> Are any of these familiar? Any suggestions?
    >
    >yes. yes - read /usr/ports/UPDATING, the entry about the Xorg 7.2 -> 7.3
    >update.

    It says:

    X.org ports were updated to 7.3. Since we're now using the modular
    build, the upgrade is pretty much painless. If you're using the
    x11/xorg meta-port, upgrade should be as easy as:

    # portupgrade -R xorg

    That's basically what I did. Perhaps you are confusing it with the
    previous upgrade which required special handling due to all the
    dependencies.

    >Basically, you might have to deinstall and reinstall any (all) ports
    >that are misbehaving.

    I reinstalled Firefox and Acrobat, didn't help.

    R's,
    John

  4. Re: Upgrade problems to xorg 7.3

    John L wrote:
    > I upgraded my FreeBSD laptop to xorg 7.3 last week. I finally got
    > everything to build and install, but a lot of stuff seems broken.
    >
    > The gnome-screensaver says it can't register with the message bus or
    > sometimes is missing a shared library. Linux acroread also complains
    > about missing libraries, but I commented out the place in the script
    > that was complaining and it seems more or less OK.
    >
    > Firefox acts very strangely, sometimes freezing for the better part of
    > a minute while fetching page elements which I know isn't network delay
    > (the problem occurs with sites on the same LAN.)
    >
    > The strangest is that sometimes I hit a cursor key which then repeats
    > forever, with no way to recover other than killing X and restarting.
    > It's not hardware, I've had the same problem with PS2 and USB keyboards.
    >
    > Are any of these familiar? Any suggestions?

    When was the last time you updated the ports tree?

  5. Re: Upgrade problems to xorg 7.3

    >> I upgraded my FreeBSD laptop to xorg 7.3 last week. I finally got
    >> everything to build and install, but a lot of stuff seems broken. ...

    >> Are any of these familiar? Any suggestions?

    >When was the last time you updated the ports tree?

    About 15 minutes ago. In particular, I always do a cvsup before trying
    a portupgrade.

    R's,
    John

+ Reply to Thread