how to enable PATH setting when login - BSD

This is a discussion on how to enable PATH setting when login - BSD ; Hi, I have just setup a new PATH in my login, but it doesn't have effect every time when I login or su -. The PATH I tried to add is PATH=/opt/csw/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/ ccs/bin:/usr/local/bin I put this new PATH in /.dtprofile, ...

  1. how to enable PATH setting when login

    Hi,

    I have just setup a new PATH in my login, but it doesn't have effect
    every time when I login or su -.

    The PATH I tried to add is
    PATH=/opt/csw/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/
    ccs/bin:/usr/local/bin

    I put this new PATH in /.dtprofile, /etc/default/login and /etc/
    default/su, but none of them is readed by the login process.

    Here is the passwd file:
    # cat /etc/passwd
    root:x:0:0:Super-User:/:/sbin/sh

    What should I do to make the new PATH enabled when I login through su
    or ssh?

    Thanks
    Sam

  2. Re: how to enable PATH setting when login

    In article <0d105732-d3ef-4e0f-90bc-05731ef617d7@s19g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
    swun2010@gmail.com writes:

    > I have just setup a new PATH in my login, but it doesn't have effect
    > every time when I login or su -.
    >
    > The PATH I tried to add is
    > PATH=/opt/csw/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/dt/bin:/usr/openwin/bin:/usr/
    > ccs/bin:/usr/local/bin
    >
    > I put this new PATH in /.dtprofile, /etc/default/login and /etc/
    > default/su, but none of them is readed by the login process.
    >
    > Here is the passwd file:
    > # cat /etc/passwd
    > root:x:0:0:Super-User:/:/sbin/sh
    >
    > What should I do to make the new PATH enabled when I login through su
    > or ssh?

    man login.conf

    --
    Steve