Virutalisation s/w for running Windows on FreeBSD - BSD

This is a discussion on Virutalisation s/w for running Windows on FreeBSD - BSD ; The PC I have at home for running FreeBSD is shared with my kids for running games. At the moment, I dual boot between FreeBSD and Windows. I'd like to have FreeBSD running permanently and just run Windows as a ...

  1. Virutalisation s/w for running Windows on FreeBSD

    The PC I have at home for running FreeBSD is shared with my kids for
    running games. At the moment, I dual boot between FreeBSD and Windows.

    I'd like to have FreeBSD running permanently and just run Windows as a
    guest O/S. I was wondering what virtualisation s/w people recommended?
    I've tried Wine over the years but have never enjoyed much success with it.

  2. Re: Virutalisation s/w for running Windows on FreeBSD

    Max Haus wrote:
    > The PC I have at home for running FreeBSD is shared with my kids for
    > running games. At the moment, I dual boot between FreeBSD and Windows.
    >
    > I'd like to have FreeBSD running permanently and just run Windows as a
    > guest O/S. I was wondering what virtualisation s/w people recommended?
    > I've tried Wine over the years but have never enjoyed much success with it.

    Qemu (www.qemu.org) worked quite well last time I tried it. I switched
    to VMWare Server on Windows when it became freely available however, as
    it was easier to manage.

    RL

  3. Re: Virutalisation s/w for running Windows on FreeBSD

    > The PC I have at home for running FreeBSD is shared with my kids for
    > running games. At the moment, I dual boot between FreeBSD and Windows.
    >
    > I'd like to have FreeBSD running permanently and just run Windows as a
    > guest O/S. I was wondering what virtualisation s/w people recommended?

    At the moment, unfortunatelly you don't really have any solution for this
    under FreeBSD.
    Using Linux one can enjoy VirtualBox by InnoTek (www.virtualbox.org) which
    worked very nicely for me. But VirtualBox does not yet work on any BSD
    system, although work has already been in progress to port it.

    Another important issue is however, the role you need for the guest system.
    In my experience for example (and probably most people will second this) a
    Windows XP guest system runs very efficiently under Linux+VirtualBox and
    the WinXP can be used for almost anything you would expect from a
    standalone hardware machine running XP, EXCEPT FOR GAMES!
    So what I am saying is that even if you had a very good virtualization
    possibility on FreeBSD to run Windows XP, you would definitely be better
    off dual booting. Otherwise most of your games under Windows would give you
    very poor performance, slow and ugly graphics, jumping sound, etc.

    I hope this helps!
    Best regards,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  4. Re: Virutalisation s/w for running Windows on FreeBSD

    Keve Nagy wrote:

    > At the moment, unfortunatelly you don't really have any solution for this
    > under FreeBSD.
    > Using Linux one can enjoy VirtualBox by InnoTek (www.virtualbox.org) which
    > worked very nicely for me. But VirtualBox does not yet work on any BSD
    > system, although work has already been in progress to port it.
    >
    > Another important issue is however, the role you need for the guest system.
    > In my experience for example (and probably most people will second this) a
    > Windows XP guest system runs very efficiently under Linux+VirtualBox and
    > the WinXP can be used for almost anything you would expect from a
    > standalone hardware machine running XP, EXCEPT FOR GAMES!
    > So what I am saying is that even if you had a very good virtualization
    > possibility on FreeBSD to run Windows XP, you would definitely be better
    > off dual booting. Otherwise most of your games under Windows would give you
    > very poor performance, slow and ugly graphics, jumping sound, etc.

    Thanks for the advice.

    In my original post I did mention that XP was used by the kids for
    playing games, BUT I forgot to mention their ages - which are 6 and 4.
    The sort of games they're playing are largely educational ones with
    fairly simple graphics and sound. They're not up to "World of Warcraft"
    yet - thank goodness!

  5. Re: Virutalisation s/w for running Windows on FreeBSD

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 20:18:08 +1300
    RL wrote:

    > Max Haus wrote:
    > > The PC I have at home for running FreeBSD is shared with my kids for
    > > running games. At the moment, I dual boot between FreeBSD and Windows.
    > >
    > > I'd like to have FreeBSD running permanently and just run Windows as a
    > > guest O/S. I was wondering what virtualisation s/w people recommended?
    > > I've tried Wine over the years but have never enjoyed much success with
    > > it.

    > Qemu (www.qemu.org) worked quite well last time I tried it. I switched

    Qemu is great for just about anything apart from games - which run
    like a blocked drain under the best of conditions. A dedicated games box is
    the best option - dual boot the second best.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  6. Re: Virutalisation s/w for running Windows on FreeBSD

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 09:57:52 +0000, Max Haus wrote:

    > In my original post I did mention that XP was used by the kids for
    > playing games, BUT I forgot to mention their ages - which are 6 and 4.
    > The sort of games they're playing are largely educational ones with
    > fairly simple graphics and sound. They're not up to "World of Warcraft"
    > yet - thank goodness!

    If that's the kind of thing you want, there are several games of this type
    in the KDE and Gnome repositories that run just fine under FreeBSD.

  7. Re: Virutalisation s/w for running Windows on FreeBSD

    On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 10:29:06 +0100, Keve Nagy wrote:

    >> I'd like to have FreeBSD running permanently and just run Windows as a
    >> guest O/S. I was wondering what virtualisation s/w people recommended?

    > At the moment, unfortunatelly you don't really have any solution for this
    > under FreeBSD.
    > Using Linux one can enjoy VirtualBox by InnoTek (www.virtualbox.org) which
    > worked very nicely for me. But VirtualBox does not yet work on any BSD
    > system, although work has already been in progress to port it.

    You could run Windows inside Virtualbox running under Linux running inside
    qemu on FreeBSD :-)

  8. Re: Virutalisation s/w for running Windows on FreeBSD

    Max Haus wrote:

    > In my original post I did mention that XP was used by the kids for
    > playing games, BUT I forgot to mention their ages - which are 6 and 4.
    > The sort of games they're playing are largely educational ones with
    > fairly simple graphics and sound. They're not up to "World of Warcraft"
    > yet - thank goodness!

    Oh, that changes the prospect quite a bit! :-)
    In this case, Qemu might just be suitable for you.
    You should give it a try and see how it performs for the kids' needs.

    You can build Qemu under FreeBSD from the ports collection. It would require
    you to spend about an hour or two reading the man pages and documentation,
    so that you feel confortable about how and what you are doing with Qemu.
    But that is about all.
    When I tried it, I used Win98SE inside Qemu because that is less resource
    hungry than WinXP. I remember that I did have to apply some patches to
    Win98 so that the CPU usage drops dramatically inside the emulation. And I
    had to make sure that a Qemu kernel module (called kqemu) was loaded before
    starting qemu, because without it the emulated system was unusably slow.

    From what you have told us about your kids' games, Win98 should be suitable
    for you too. But you can also try WinXP, I just don't have any experience
    with that under Qemu.
    Regarding those patches for Win98: I didn't figure that out by myself. I am
    far more stupid than that. :-)
    I was actually guided through the whole process, most probably by the qemu
    documentation or faq. I just remember that I was warned to the CPU issue,
    told what patch to look for and where, and doing the whole thing was quite
    straight-forward.
    However, I did experience some serious Windows stability problems later and
    to this date I couldn't confirm if it was related to these patches, an
    issue with Qemu, or just a usual Windows stability thing.

    HTH,
    Keve

    --
    if you need to reply directly:
    keve(at)mail(dot)poliod(dot)hu

  9. Re: Virutalisation s/w for running Windows on FreeBSD

    In article <5s9gnpF18f25cU1@mid.individual.net> Keve Nagy wrote:

    > When I tried it, I used Win98SE inside Qemu because that is less resource
    > hungry than WinXP.

    I've got qemu on a system with a Duron 1600 which doesn't really have enough
    steam for this, an attempt to install XP ran for several hours with very
    little progress until I gave up. Win98 installed and ran OK but very
    slowly, win95 runs noticeably less slow than win98. With a more powerful
    system it should be more manageable. I've taken to using an old P233 via a
    KVM switch instead of qemu for my 2 remaining Windows apps - Win98 on the
    233 is quicker than 95 with qemu.

    > I remember that I did have to apply some patches to
    > Win98 so that the CPU usage drops dramatically inside the emulation.

    I think I needed a couple, one was the driver for the emulated NIC
    (rtl8139.sys) and I think the fix for the CPU usage involved a minor
    registry change to stop it monopolising the CPU when idle.

    --
    Mike Clarke

  10. Re: Virutalisation s/w for running Windows on FreeBSD

    Max Haus wrote:
    > Keve Nagy wrote:
    >
    >> At the moment, unfortunatelly you don't really have any solution for this
    >> under FreeBSD.
    >> Using Linux one can enjoy VirtualBox by InnoTek (www.virtualbox.org) which
    >> worked very nicely for me. But VirtualBox does not yet work on any BSD
    >> system, although work has already been in progress to port it.
    >>
    >> Another important issue is however, the role you need for the guest system.
    >> In my experience for example (and probably most people will second this) a
    >> Windows XP guest system runs very efficiently under Linux+VirtualBox and
    >> the WinXP can be used for almost anything you would expect from a
    >> standalone hardware machine running XP, EXCEPT FOR GAMES!
    >> So what I am saying is that even if you had a very good virtualization
    >> possibility on FreeBSD to run Windows XP, you would definitely be better
    >> off dual booting. Otherwise most of your games under Windows would give you
    >> very poor performance, slow and ugly graphics, jumping sound, etc.

    > Thanks for the advice.
    >
    > In my original post I did mention that XP was used by the kids for
    > playing games, BUT I forgot to mention their ages - which are 6 and 4.
    > The sort of games they're playing are largely educational ones with
    > fairly simple graphics and sound. They're not up to "World of Warcraft"
    > yet - thank goodness!

    Offtopic game recommendation:

    Enigma is in the ports tree under games/enigma. You use the mouse to roll
    a marble through a puzzle, trying to uncover blocks and match two of the
    same color. Some of the puzzles are very challenging, and there are hundreds
    of them.

+ Reply to Thread