Network socket <-> serial port question - BSD

This is a discussion on Network socket <-> serial port question - BSD ; I'm looking for some software to act as a sort of bridge between a network port and a serial port, ie accept a connection on, say, port 12345 and pipe anything received to the serial port. Also the reverse, ie ...

  1. Network socket <-> serial port question

    I'm looking for some software to act as a sort of bridge between a network
    port and a serial port, ie accept a connection on, say, port 12345 and pipe
    anything received to the serial port. Also the reverse, ie anything sent
    down the serial port should then go out over port 12345.

    Is there anything in the ports that would do this or am I going to have to
    write something myself? And if the latter how hard would this be? I've never
    done any work with network sockets before.

    Many thanks.

    Jim
    --
    http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk

    "The Sierpinski Gasket makes me want to cry."
    - Jonathon Coulton, "Mandelbrot Set"

  2. Re: Network socket <-> serial port question

    Jim writes:

    Hi,

    > Is there anything in the ports that would do this or am I going to have to
    > write something myself ?

    /usr/ports/comms/sredird
    /usr/ports/comms/ser2net
    /usr/ports/comms/serialoverip

    telnetcpcd seems to work fine too.

    I'm using sredird in association with PC Micro's NetDialout to access an
    isdn TA and an analog modem from an XP box and it works fine.

    > And if the latter how hard would this be ? I've never done any work
    > with network sockets before.

    There's a rfc covering this subject, RFC2217, and despite not a
    standard, it's implemented by most commercial and OSS products.

    --
    en plus quand je vois le nombre de message sur ce groupe je me pose la
    question pour quoi Floriano veux détruire le ng il est aussi con le

  3. Re: Network socket <-> serial port question

    Eric Masson wrote:
    > /usr/ports/comms/sredird
    > /usr/ports/comms/ser2net
    > /usr/ports/comms/serialoverip
    >
    > telnetcpcd seems to work fine too.

    If the above isn't enough choice for OP, there is also conserver:
    http://www.freshports.org/comms/conserver/
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  4. Re: Network socket <-> serial port question

    On 2007-12-10, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Eric Masson wrote:
    >> /usr/ports/comms/sredird
    >> /usr/ports/comms/ser2net
    >> /usr/ports/comms/serialoverip
    >>
    >> telnetcpcd seems to work fine too.

    > If the above isn't enough choice for OP, there is also conserver:
    > http://www.freshports.org/comms/conserver/

    Thanks for the suggestions - I'll take a look later.

    Jim
    --
    http://www.ursaMinorBeta.co.uk

    "The Sierpinski Gasket makes me want to cry."
    - Jonathon Coulton, "Mandelbrot Set"

+ Reply to Thread