ZFS Upgrade - Snapshot To Release - BSD

This is a discussion on ZFS Upgrade - Snapshot To Release - BSD ; Hi, I am running a FreeBSD 7 snapshot (August I believe), and plan to format and reinstall with a clean 7.0 install once it is released. Is there any problem doing this? Is it just a matter of exporting before ...

  1. ZFS Upgrade - Snapshot To Release

    Hi,

    I am running a FreeBSD 7 snapshot (August I believe), and plan to format
    and reinstall with a clean 7.0 install once it is released.

    Is there any problem doing this? Is it just a matter of exporting before
    the format, and importing the ZFS RAID once the new OS is installed, or
    is it more complicated than that? E.g. have any on-disk formats been
    altered?

    Thanks,

    RL

  2. Re: ZFS Upgrade - Snapshot To Release

    RL wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am running a FreeBSD 7 snapshot (August I believe), and plan to format
    > and reinstall with a clean 7.0 install once it is released.
    >
    > Is there any problem doing this? Is it just a matter of exporting before
    > the format, and importing the ZFS RAID once the new OS is installed, or
    > is it more complicated than that? E.g. have any on-disk formats been
    > altered?

    Just to play a little, I boot with an OpenSolaris live CD (indiana) and
    import the zpool from FreeBSD without problem. Of course I don't upgrade
    from zfs 6 to zfs 8 (IIRC) under OpenSolaris.

    I reboot in FreeBSD and import the pool back without problem.

    I'm pretty confident that there is no problem.

    Henri

    > Thanks,
    >
    > RL

  3. Re: ZFS Upgrade - Snapshot To Release

    Henri Hennebert wrote:
    > Just to play a little, I boot with an OpenSolaris live CD (indiana) and
    > import the zpool from FreeBSD without problem. Of course I don't upgrade
    > from zfs 6 to zfs 8 (IIRC) under OpenSolaris.
    >
    > I reboot in FreeBSD and import the pool back without problem.
    >
    > I'm pretty confident that there is no problem.
    >
    > Henri

    Thanks for the feedback. I've got roughtly 2TB of data on there now,
    which I'd hate to have to restore from individual disks if some little
    problem occured with the import.

    RL

+ Reply to Thread