what is foo? - BSD

This is a discussion on what is foo? - BSD ; i see this in books foo?...

  1. what is foo?

    i see this in books foo?

  2. Re: what is foo?

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 16:09:54 GMT, A2B wrote:
    : i see this in books foo?

    See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo

  3. Re: what is foo?

    A2B wrote:
    > i see this in books foo?

    It's a metasyntactic variable.

    (Zrnaf "cnfgn" va guvf pnfr, Arvy.)

  4. Re: what is foo?

    On Sat, 08 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, in
    article , A2B wrote:

    >i see this in books foo?

    3092 Etymology of "Foo". D. Eastlake 3rd, C. Manros, E. Raymond. April
    1 2001. (Format: TXT=29235 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

    RFC3092 at your favorite search engine.

    Old guy

  5. Re: what is foo?

    On 2007-12-08, A2B wrote:
    > i see this in books foo?

    foo is not bar!

    - Tony

  6. Re: what is foo?

    In article ,
    Moe Trin wrote:
    >On Sat, 08 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, in
    >article , A2B wrote:
    >
    >>i see this in books foo?

    > 3092 Etymology of "Foo". D. Eastlake 3rd, C. Manros, E. Raymond. April
    > 1 2001. (Format: TXT=29235 bytes) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)
    >
    >RFC3092 at your favorite search engine.
    >
    > Old guy

    I like /usr/ports/misc/rfc just for reading and/or manipulating
    RFCs. I just looked at 3092 and was surprised to see
    that it states that 7% of the RFC reference 'foo' 'bar' or
    'foobar'.

    I first ran across 'foo' in the old Smokey Stover comic strips.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  7. Re: what is foo?

    Bill Vermillion wrote:

    [snip]

    > I first ran across 'foo' in the old Smokey Stover comic strips.
    >
    > Bill

    There is also a similar version from the Armed Forces: fubar

    fsc*ked up beyond all recognition

    For when the SOP produces less than desirable results, which in the military
    happens from time to time... :-)

    -Jason

  8. Re: what is foo?

    On Sun, 09 Dec 2007, in the Usenet newsgroup comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, in
    article , Jason Bourne wrote:

    >Bill Vermillion wrote:

    >> I first ran across 'foo' in the old Smokey Stover comic strips.

    See if you can find a copy of Eric Raymond's "The Jargon File" on the
    net - try version 4.4.7 dated December 2003. The 'definition' of "foo"
    runs about 104 lines. It does mention the Smokey Stover connection
    from the mid-1930s, as well as the Warner Brothers 'Looney Toons'
    such as Robert Clampett's "Daffy Doc" and "Porky in Wackyland" of 1938.

    >There is also a similar version from the Armed Forces: fubar
    >
    >fsc*ked up beyond all recognition

    along with 'fumtu'[1], 'snafu'[2], 'tarfu'[3] and the shorter 'fubb'[4]

    Old guy

    [1] fscked up more than usual
    [2] situation normal: all fscked up
    [3] things are REALLY fscked up