Re: Burning CD Image - BSD

This is a discussion on Re: Burning CD Image - BSD ; On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:25:02 +0100, Matthias Eisenacher wrote: > Hello everybody, Matthias, several things need to be fixed here. > I want to install OpenBSD on an Indigo2. I downloaded an cd41.iso from > ftp://openbsd.ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/sgi/ First, you're in ...

  1. Re: Burning CD Image

    On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:25:02 +0100, Matthias Eisenacher wrote:

    > Hello everybody,

    Matthias, several things need to be fixed here.

    > I want to install OpenBSD on an Indigo2. I downloaded an cd41.iso from
    > ftp://openbsd.ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/sgi/

    First, you're in the wrong group, this is c.u.b.netbsd.misc,
    c.u.b.openbsd.misc is next door :-)

    Unless you specifically need 4.1, get 4.2 which is the latest release.

    > Unfortunaly I was not able to burn this ISO because it is not iso9660.

    It is, really. Check the download isn't corrupted.

    > k3B and Nero didn't want to burn it.

    You need to know how to burn it as an image, please double check that you
    have that straight.

    > Do you know how to burn it? Shall I do it with cdrecord (with what
    > parameters)?

    What system are you working on?

  2. Re: Burning CD Image

    Mark South schrieb:
    > On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 11:25:02 +0100, Matthias Eisenacher wrote:
    >
    >> Hello everybody,

    > Matthias, several things need to be fixed here.
    >
    >> I want to install OpenBSD on an Indigo2. I downloaded an cd41.iso from
    >> ftp://openbsd.ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/OpenBSD/4.1/sgi/

    > First, you're in the wrong group, this is c.u.b.netbsd.misc,
    > c.u.b.openbsd.misc is next door :-)

    Hi Mark,

    thanks for your fast answer and sorry for beeing in the wrong group. I
    tested sgi mips images from netbsd too and had the same problem. For
    that it should be ok to write here.

    > Unless you specifically need 4.1, get 4.2 which is the latest release.
    >
    >> Unfortunaly I was not able to burn this ISO because it is not iso9660.

    > It is, really. Check the download isn't corrupted.

    file cd41.iso
    cd41.iso: SGI disk label (volume header)

    The file should be ok!

    >> Do you know how to burn it? Shall I do it with cdrecord (with what
    >> parameters)?

    > What system are you working on?

    Opensuse 10.3

    regards,

    Matthias

  3. Re: Burning CD Image

    On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Mark South wrote:
    > Unless you specifically need 4.1, get 4.2 which is the latest release.

    Unfortunately, for SGI 4.1 really is the latest release[0].

    >> Unfortunaly I was not able to burn this ISO because it is not iso9660.

    Although INSTALL.sgi describes the "cd41.iso" as a "A miniroot filesystem
    image suitable to be used as a bootable CD-ROM image", it is indeed not an
    ISO9660. Moreover, the 4.1 FAQ[1] states:

    Q: 1.2 - On what systems does OpenBSD run?
    A: * sgi - FTP only"

    So, yes, I think c.u.b.openbsd.misc should be asked what this cd41.iso
    is for...

    C.

    [0] http://openbsd.org/sgi.html#install
    [1] http://openbsd.mirrors.pair.com/ftp/doc/obsd-faq41.txt
    --
    BOFH excuse #247:

    Due to Federal Budget problems we have been forced to cut back on the number of users able to access the system at one time. (namely none allowed....)

+ Reply to Thread