digital audio from CD - BSD

This is a discussion on digital audio from CD - BSD ; Hi people, can someone tell me if there is any way of playing audio without audio connection from CD to sound card? Of course winblows do this......

  1. digital audio from CD

    Hi people,

    can someone tell me if there is any way of playing audio without audio
    connection from CD to sound card?
    Of course winblows do this...

  2. Re: digital audio from CD

    Einherjar writes:

    > Hi people,
    >
    > can someone tell me if there is any way of playing audio without audio
    > connection from CD to sound card?
    > Of course winblows do this...

    There isn't really anything in the base system, although I guess you
    might be able to cobble something by using the track devices
    (/dev/ad0t) to cat(1) the audio data to the audio device.

    Many of the programs in the "audio" ports category can handle it.
    Some may need to be configured appropriately.
    I use xmms, which does, and I may have done it with sox from the
    command line...

    --
    Lowell Gilbert, embedded/networking software engineer
    http://be-well.ilk.org/~lowell/

  3. Re: digital audio from CD

    In article ,
    Einherjar wrote:

    >Hi people,
    >
    >can someone tell me if there is any way of playing audio without audio
    >connection from CD to sound card?
    >Of course winblows do this...

    Well, of course you can use cdparanoia to rip the whole cd to .wav files..

    With a fast system and a shell script, you should be able to get about what
    you want.

    Ted

  4. Re: digital audio from CD

    Ted Nolan wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Einherjar wrote:
    >>
    >> Hi people,
    >>
    >> can someone tell me if there is any way of playing audio without audio
    >> connection from CD to sound card?
    >> Of course winblows do this...

    > Well, of course you can use cdparanoia to rip the whole cd to .wav files..
    >
    > With a fast system and a shell script, you should be able to get about what
    > you want.
    >
    > Ted

    Of course - ripping is the usual way, but I just wandered, because
    sometimes I just have to show a track to a friend or something and it
    would be easier than actually ripping it..

    @Lowell: didn't actually try xmms, but KsCD doesn't do it

  5. Re: digital audio from CD

    Einherjar wrote:
    > Hi people,
    >
    > can someone tell me if there is any way of playing audio without audio
    > connection from CD to sound card?
    > Of course winblows do this...

    At least xmms does it, with a special plugin
    /usr/ports/audio/xmms-cdread

    I know this works because my laptop had the problem and i solved it this
    way. Now, recent versions of amarok also work.

    --

    Michel TALON

  6. Re: digital audio from CD

    On Wed, 05 Dec 2007 16:52:35 -0500
    Lowell Gilbert wrote:

    > Einherjar writes:
    >
    > > Hi people,
    > >
    > > can someone tell me if there is any way of playing audio without audio
    > > connection from CD to sound card?
    > > Of course winblows do this...

    > There isn't really anything in the base system, although I guess you
    > might be able to cobble something by using the track devices
    > (/dev/ad0t) to cat(1) the audio data to the audio device.

    Installing sox and using play -t cdda /dev/ad0t should work.

    --
    C:>WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays
    | http://www.sohara.org/

  7. Re: digital audio from CD

    Us writes:

    > @Lowell: didn't actually try xmms, but KsCD doesn't do it

    Try "Use direct digital playback" on the "Configure" screen.

+ Reply to Thread