Long user names - BSD

This is a discussion on Long user names - BSD ; I was wondering what is the limitations on characters on a username? Can that be extended to 50 characters wit hthe options of - and . in the username? -- Member - Liberal International This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca God, ...

  1. Long user names

    --
    Member - Liberal International
    This is doctor@nl2k.ab.ca Ici doctor@nl2k.ab.ca
    God, Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
    Merry CHRISTmas 2007 and Happy New Year 2008! CHRIST is the reason for the season!

  2. Re: Long user names

    The Doctor wrote:
    > I was wondering what is the limitations on characters
    > on a username?

    According to adduser(8), it is 16 characters.

    > Can that be extended to 50 characters wit hthe options of - and .
    > in the username?

    You better read adduser(8).
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  3. Re: Long user names

    In article <4755e5cf$1@news.broadpark.no>,
    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    >The Doctor wrote:
    >> I was wondering what is the limitations on characters
    >> on a username?

    >According to adduser(8), it is 16 characters.
    >
    >> Can that be extended to 50 characters wit hthe options of - and .
    >> in the username?

    >You better read adduser(8).
    >--
    >Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    >Norway

    And I had one company that wanted the typical longer than 8
    character usernames, and so many things expect the 8 character
    length that some things have poor displays.

    Is there a reason these people want long names?

    If it's for thing such as email, it's easy to do most MTA.
    Sendmail's virtusertable makes it a snap to map a
    verylong-user-name-for-eamil to 8char. login or pop name.

    I've rued the day I permitted this.

    And in The Olden Dayze [TM] I worked on some systems that while
    8 characters were permitted, there was an anomoly where only
    the first 7 characters were recognized - primarily in the UUCP
    limitations for those who remember transering 1GB a day on
    POTS systems.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

  4. Re: Long user names

    : Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    : >The Doctor wrote:
    : >> I was wondering what is the limitations on characters
    : >> on a username?
    : >
    : >According to adduser(8), it is 16 characters.
    : >
    : >> Can that be extended to 50 characters wit hthe options of - and .
    : >> in the username?
    : >
    : >You better read adduser(8).
    : >--
    : >Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    : >Norway
    :
    : And I had one company that wanted the typical longer than 8
    : character usernames, and so many things expect the 8 character
    : length that some things have poor displays.
    :
    : Is there a reason these people want long names?
    :
    : If it's for thing such as email, it's easy to do most MTA.
    : Sendmail's virtusertable makes it a snap to map a
    : verylong-user-name-for-eamil to 8char. login or pop name.
    :

    : I've rued the day I permitted this.
    :

    That sounds like a maintainence nightmare Jobs like this I think
    call for something like cyrus or another monolithic POP/IMAP server
    that doesn't confer a login to the user. (Does someone who thinks they
    need more than an 8 char username really need a login?)

    But then again, I'm not in the bofh business anymore...

+ Reply to Thread