Using interface: tun0 Child Failed (errdead) - BSD

This is a discussion on Using interface: tun0 Child Failed (errdead) - BSD ; FreeBSD7.0-BETA I am trying to get my Freebsd box running and connected using PPPoE (AT&T, formerly sbcglobal) I execute the following line # ppp -background pppoe and then get the following Using interface: tun0 Child Failed (errdead) Does anyone know ...

  1. Using interface: tun0 Child Failed (errdead)

    FreeBSD7.0-BETA
    I am trying to get my Freebsd box running and connected using PPPoE (AT&T,
    formerly sbcglobal)
    I execute the following line
    # ppp -background pppoe

    and then get the following

    Using interface: tun0
    Child Failed (errdead)

    Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

    I have configured my ppp.conf file according to the instructions on
    freebsd.org and have the nameservers in my resolv.conf file...... I am using
    AT&T DSL services

  2. Re: Using interface: tun0 Child Failed (errdead)

    Begin <42p4j.5123$C24.3679@newssvr17.news.prodigy.net>
    On Sat, 1 Dec 2007 20:48:34 -0600, BigBoy2000 wrote:
    > # ppp -background pppoe
    >
    > and then get the following
    >
    > Using interface: tun0
    > Child Failed (errdead)
    >
    > Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

    Lots of things can go wrong. So many, in fact, that ppp has a score
    keywords to turn logging for specific types of events on or off.

    What you should do is read ppp(8), and figure out how to use ppp
    interactively. Note especially the ``log local'' command. If you want
    us to help, configure logging to file (syslog, really) with the most
    relevant log-items, and show us a failing session.

    While the handbook is very useful to get started, sometimes you need to
    dig in to really solve the problem. The ppp manpage is the reference to
    read next.