how do you become a freebsd committer - BSD

This is a discussion on how do you become a freebsd committer - BSD ; do you need formal qualifications? do they get paid something?...

  1. how do you become a freebsd committer

    do you need formal qualifications? do they get paid something?

  2. Re: how do you become a freebsd committer

    In article ,
    A2B writes:

    > do you need formal qualifications?

    I not sure what you mean by "formal".

    > do they get paid something?

    Some do through working for a company. Some don't (it's
    a hobby).

    Now for some details on becoming a committer.

    1) Decide what area you want to contribute:
    a) Improve documentation
    b) maintain port(s)
    c) work on user land utilities
    d) work on the kernel

    2) All of the above areas are important, so once you decide
    go to the bug database and pick out a few open bug reports.
    Create a *high quality*, tested patch, and submit it. It
    is advantageous to work on a bug where you can get a current
    committer interested because s/he'll need to commit for
    you.

    3) Repeat item 2) until some committer recognizes your valuable
    contributions. This committer will asks core to give you
    commit access, and s/he'll become your mentor.

    4) The mentor will oversee and review all your patches prior
    to your committing the patch. After an appropriate time
    the mentor will let you fly.

    PS: Read the Developer's Handbook.
    --
    Steve
    http://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

  3. Re: how do you become a freebsd committer

    On Nov 30, 3:21 am, ka...@troutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steven G.
    Kargl) wrote:
    > In article ,
    > A2B writes:
    >
    > > do you need formal qualifications?

    > I not sure what you mean by "formal".
    >
    > > do they get paid something?

    > Some do through working for a company. Some don't (it's
    > a hobby).
    >
    > Now for some details on becoming a committer.
    >
    > 1) Decide what area you want to contribute:
    > a) Improve documentation
    > b) maintain port(s)
    > c) work on user land utilities
    > d) work on the kernel
    >
    > 2) All of the above areas are important, so once you decide
    > go to the bug database and pick out a few open bug reports.
    > Create a *high quality*, tested patch, and submit it. It
    > is advantageous to work on a bug where you can get a current
    > committer interested because s/he'll need to commit for
    > you.

    So where are the database I can browse all the bugs?

    > 3) Repeat item 2) until some committer recognizes your valuable
    > contributions. This committer will asks core to give you
    > commit access, and s/he'll become your mentor.
    >
    > 4) The mentor will oversee and review all your patches prior
    > to your committing the patch. After an appropriate time
    > the mentor will let you fly.
    >
    > PS: Read the Developer's Handbook.
    > --
    > Stevehttp://troutmask.apl.washington.edu/~kargl/

  4. Re: how do you become a freebsd committer

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 16:34:23 -0800 (PST), swun2010@gmail.com wrote:
    > On Nov 30, 3:21 am, ka...@troutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steven G. Kargl) wrote:
    >> Now for some details on becoming a committer.
    >>
    >> 1) Decide what area you want to contribute:
    >> a) Improve documentation
    >> b) maintain port(s)
    >> c) work on user land utilities
    >> d) work on the kernel
    >>
    >> 2) All of the above areas are important, so once you decide go to the
    >> bug database and pick out a few open bug reports. Create a *high
    >> quality*, tested patch, and submit it. It is advantageous to work on
    >> a bug where you can get a current committer interested because
    >> s/he'll need to commit for you.

    > So where are the database I can browse all the bugs?

    See the web site:

    http://www.freebsd.org/

    => Developers (useful links here)

    => Contributing (even more useful links for contributors)

    => http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO...ing/index.html

    This article is a good start if you want to contribute to FreeBSD in a
    way that is both useful and good for the Project, and satisfactory,
    educational, but most important *fun* for you too...

    Happy FreeBSD hacking :-)

  5. Re: how do you become a freebsd committer

    swun2010@gmail.com wrote:

    > On Nov 30, 3:21 am, ka...@troutmask.apl.washington.edu (Steven G.
    > Kargl) wrote:

    [snip]

    >> 2) All of the above areas are important, so once you decide
    >> go to the bug database and pick out a few open bug reports.
    >> Create a *high quality*, tested patch, and submit it. It
    >> is advantageous to work on a bug where you can get a current
    >> committer interested because s/he'll need to commit for
    >> you.
    >>

    > So where are the database I can browse all the bugs?

    Check out the Web site, under the "Support" section.

    http://www.freebsd.org/support.html

    Easy enough to find.

    [snip]

    -Jason