FreeBSD updated X yet? - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD updated X yet? - BSD ; hello, I had installed freebsd 6.2 - really liked the challenge of tweaking things and all the free software. But i came unstuck when there was a problem with x packages being incompatible with 6.2 and i had to upgrade ...

  1. FreeBSD updated X yet?

    hello,
    I had installed freebsd 6.2 - really liked the challenge of tweaking
    things and all the free software. But i came unstuck when there was a
    problem with x packages being incompatible with 6.2 and i had to upgrade
    to xorg higher version. (process took ages)

    What i want to know is has this situation been resolved as yet? Are the
    binaries for everything i need now available? (i hope i am making sense)

    I would like to try again but need a bit of advice before jumping in
    over my head.
    thanks

  2. Re: FreeBSD updated X yet?

    A2B wrote:

    > hello,
    > I had installed freebsd 6.2 - really liked the challenge of tweaking
    > things and all the free software. But i came unstuck when there was a
    > problem with x packages being incompatible with 6.2 and i had to upgrade
    > to xorg higher version. (process took ages)
    >
    > What i want to know is has this situation been resolved as yet? Are the
    > binaries for everything i need now available? (i hope i am making sense)
    >
    > I would like to try again but need a bit of advice before jumping in
    > over my head.
    > thanks

    I dunno but I've had no problems using ports or packages, although I do have
    rxXorgr-7.2 installed plus X11BASE=/usr/local in my /etc/make.conf.

    --
    Possessions increase to fill the space available for their storage.
    -- Ryan

  3. Re: FreeBSD updated X yet?

    Begin
    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 14:19:26 GMT, A2B wrote:
    [snip: upgrading X on a 6.2 install]
    > What i want to know is has this situation been resolved as yet? Are the
    > binaries for everything i need now available? (i hope i am making sense)

    There will be as soon as 6.3 or 7.0 comes out, whichever comes first.
    Full RELEASEs come with a matching full build of the ports tree[1].

    > I would like to try again but need a bit of advice before jumping in
    > over my head.

    Well, if you're not adverse to looking at a terminal, you could install
    FreeBSD, make it work and all that, and then venture getting a fresh
    checkout of the portstree and installing X using that. That is easier
    than installing the previous set then trying to upgrage. You will have
    to start out without a graphical environment to do it, though.

    That isn't a problem for anyone well versed in unix, but seems to be
    harder on people who started wrapped in padded graphical environments.
    Still, the handbook should get you started well enough.

    [1] Everything that can reasonably be built and distributed. There are
    always exceptions that you'll have to build yourself.

  4. Re: FreeBSD updated X yet?

    jpd wrote:

    > Begin
    >
    > That isn't a problem for anyone well versed in unix, but seems to be
    > harder on people who started wrapped in padded graphical environments.
    > Still, the handbook should get you started well enough.

    For the very lazy, there is also www.pcbsd.org which is a 'desktop' focused
    custom installation of FreeBSD, V1.4.x has Xorg 7.2 I think, There is also
    DesktopBSD but I never kept up with there releases.

    I'm waiting to see what becomes of future FreeBSD releases before I burn a
    new set of disks to replace my 6.1 ones. So I'm some what clueless to what
    packages come with Disk 2 now're days

    --
    Oh, I don't blame Congress. If I had $600 billion at my disposal, I'd
    be irresponsible, too.

+ Reply to Thread