Dell Inspiron 8100 - how to turn off LCD backlight (in console mode)? - BSD

This is a discussion on Dell Inspiron 8100 - how to turn off LCD backlight (in console mode)? - BSD ; I have an old laptop, Dell Inspiron 8100. It runs FreeBSD, RELENG_6: root@kg-i82# uname -a FreeBSD kg-i82.kg4.no 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #2: Sat Oct 27 02:42:35 CEST 2007 root@kg-i82.kg4.no :/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/I81K i386 The machine has a Nvidia gfx card: root@kg-i82# pciconf -lv ...

  1. Dell Inspiron 8100 - how to turn off LCD backlight (in console mode)?

    I have an old laptop, Dell Inspiron 8100.
    It runs FreeBSD, RELENG_6:
    root@kg-i82# uname -a
    FreeBSD kg-i82.kg4.no 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #2: Sat Oct
    27 02:42:35 CEST 2007 root@kg-i82.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/I81K i386

    The machine has a Nvidia gfx card:
    root@kg-i82# pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 VGA
    acpi_video0@pci1:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x00e61028 chip=0x011210de
    rev=0xb2 hdr=0x00
    vendor = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
    device = 'NV11 GeForce2 Go / MX Ultra'
    class = display
    subclass = VGA

    It is used as a firewall, so it doesn't run Xorg, it only runs in
    console (text) mode.
    I use blank_saver to turn off the screen (text), and this works. I have
    tested with green_saver as well, and that also works.

    The problem is that the LCD backlight stays on. How do I turn it off?
    Ideally, the backlight would turn off with the screensaver, and turn on
    when the screensaver is deactivated again.

    I tried with acpi_video, which gives me this:
    root@kg-i82# sysctl hw.acpi.video
    hw.acpi.video.crt0.active: 0
    hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active: 1

    I can change hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active to 0 (zero), but the display
    still stays on.
    It doesn't seem like the i8k have a lid switch either:
    root@kg-i82# sysctl hw.acpi
    hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S3 S4 S5
    hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
    hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
    hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
    hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
    hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
    hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
    hw.acpi.s4bios: 1
    hw.acpi.verbose: 0
    hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot: 0
    hw.acpi.handle_reboot: 0
    hw.acpi.reset_video: 0
    hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
    hw.acpi.acline: 1
    hw.acpi.battery.life: 91
    hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
    hw.acpi.battery.state: 2
    hw.acpi.battery.units: 2
    hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5
    hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
    hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
    hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0
    hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 60.5C
    hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
    hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 0
    hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
    hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: -1
    hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
    hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 101.0C
    hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
    hw.acpi.video.crt0.active: 0
    hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active: 1

    There isn't an acpi_dell or acpi_i8k module, at least I haven't found one.
    I have searched quite a bit on Google, but haven't found anything helpful.

    Any hints on how to get the backlight to turn off and on again (synced
    to the console screensaver)?
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  2. Re: Dell Inspiron 8100 - how to turn off LCD backlight (in consolemode)?

    On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:46:50 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

    > The problem is that the LCD backlight stays on. How do I turn it off?
    > Ideally, the backlight would turn off with the screensaver, and turn on
    > when the screensaver is deactivated again.

    Do you have

    Option "DPMS"

    set in the Monitor section of xorg.conf?

  3. Re: Dell Inspiron 8100 - how to turn off LCD backlight (in consolemode)?

    Mark South wrote:
    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:46:50 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    >
    >> The problem is that the LCD backlight stays on. How do I turn it off?
    >> Ideally, the backlight would turn off with the screensaver, and turn on
    >> when the screensaver is deactivated again.

    > Do you have
    >
    > Option "DPMS"
    >
    > set in the Monitor section of xorg.conf?

    No, because (as I stated in my posting) the machine runs as a firewall,
    so it only runs text (console) mode, not Xorg.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  4. Re: Dell Inspiron 8100 - how to turn off LCD backlight (in consolemode)?

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 11:13:22 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:

    > Mark South wrote:
    >> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 23:46:50 +0100, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    >>
    >>> The problem is that the LCD backlight stays on. How do I turn it off?
    >>> Ideally, the backlight would turn off with the screensaver, and turn on
    >>> when the screensaver is deactivated again.

    >> Do you have
    >>
    >> Option "DPMS"
    >>
    >> set in the Monitor section of xorg.conf?

    > No, because (as I stated in my posting) the machine runs as a firewall,
    > so it only runs text (console) mode, not Xorg.

    My mistake, I was reading too fast and misled myself by focusing on the
    mention of the screensaver.

    In that case I will mention this: I have seen this behaviour from one or
    two machines that interacted badly with ACPI, and the fix was to use APM
    instead.

  5. Re: Dell Inspiron 8100 - how to turn off LCD backlight (in consolemode)?

    Mark South wrote:
    > My mistake, I was reading too fast and misled myself by focusing on the
    > mention of the screensaver.

    Yeah, I do that also. Don't worry.

    > In that case I will mention this: I have seen this behaviour from one or
    > two machines that interacted badly with ACPI, and the fix was to use APM
    > instead.

    Of course, I should have tried that first.
    My first try didn't go too well. I disabled acpi from the boot menu
    (select "2"), and had
    apm_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf
    The machine threw a page fault 12 during boot. So I'll need to find our
    how to load the apm module without the acpi module.

    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  6. Re: Dell Inspiron 8100 - how to turn off LCD backlight (in consolemode)?

    Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > Mark South wrote:
    >> My mistake, I was reading too fast and misled myself by focusing on the
    >> mention of the screensaver.

    > Yeah, I do that also. Don't worry.
    >
    >> In that case I will mention this: I have seen this behaviour from one or
    >> two machines that interacted badly with ACPI, and the fix was to use APM
    >> instead.

    > Of course, I should have tried that first.
    > My first try didn't go too well. I disabled acpi from the boot menu
    > (select "2"), and had
    > apm_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf
    > The machine threw a page fault 12 during boot. So I'll need to find our
    > how to load the apm module without the acpi module.

    Hmm, it doesn't look to good.
    I have set
    hint.apm.0.disabled="0" in /boot/device.hints
    But wheter I disable acpi with the boot menu, or with 'unset acpi_load'
    from the boot loader prompt, the machine throws a page fault 12 during
    booting. It looks like it doesn't want the apm module.

    Correction: I just did another test - the machine throws a page fault
    (kernel trap 12) if the acpi module is disabled.

    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

  7. Re: Dell Inspiron 8100 - how to turn off LCD backlight (in consolemode)?

    On 11/29/2007 04:16, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
    > I have an old laptop, Dell Inspiron 8100.
    > It runs FreeBSD, RELENG_6:
    > root@kg-i82# uname -a
    > FreeBSD kg-i82.kg4.no 6.3-PRERELEASE FreeBSD 6.3-PRERELEASE #2: Sat Oct
    > 27 02:42:35 CEST 2007 root@kg-i82.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/I81K
    > i386
    >
    > The machine has a Nvidia gfx card:
    > root@kg-i82# pciconf -lv | grep -B 4 VGA
    > acpi_video0@pci1:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x00e61028 chip=0x011210de
    > rev=0xb2 hdr=0x00
    > vendor = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
    > device = 'NV11 GeForce2 Go / MX Ultra'
    > class = display
    > subclass = VGA
    >
    > It is used as a firewall, so it doesn't run Xorg, it only runs in
    > console (text) mode.
    > I use blank_saver to turn off the screen (text), and this works. I have
    > tested with green_saver as well, and that also works.
    >
    > The problem is that the LCD backlight stays on. How do I turn it off?
    > Ideally, the backlight would turn off with the screensaver, and turn on
    > when the screensaver is deactivated again.
    >
    > I tried with acpi_video, which gives me this:
    > root@kg-i82# sysctl hw.acpi.video
    > hw.acpi.video.crt0.active: 0
    > hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active: 1
    >
    > I can change hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active to 0 (zero), but the display
    > still stays on.
    > It doesn't seem like the i8k have a lid switch either:
    > root@kg-i82# sysctl hw.acpi
    > hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S3 S4 S5
    > hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
    > hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
    > hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: NONE
    > hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
    > hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
    > hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 1
    > hw.acpi.s4bios: 1
    > hw.acpi.verbose: 0
    > hw.acpi.disable_on_reboot: 0
    > hw.acpi.handle_reboot: 0
    > hw.acpi.reset_video: 0
    > hw.acpi.cpu.cx_lowest: C1
    > hw.acpi.acline: 1
    > hw.acpi.battery.life: 91
    > hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
    > hw.acpi.battery.state: 2
    > hw.acpi.battery.units: 2
    > hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5
    > hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
    > hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
    > hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0
    > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 60.5C
    > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
    > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 0
    > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
    > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: -1
    > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
    > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 101.0C
    > hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
    > hw.acpi.video.crt0.active: 0
    > hw.acpi.video.lcd0.active: 1
    >
    > There isn't an acpi_dell or acpi_i8k module, at least I haven't found one.
    > I have searched quite a bit on Google, but haven't found anything helpful.
    >
    > Any hints on how to get the backlight to turn off and on again (synced
    > to the console screensaver)?

    IMHO, either of the acpi, apm or sc driver should have taken care of
    backlight control and, or display power management. The manpage for
    apm(4) clears this doubt:

    BUGS
    WARNING! Many, if not most, of the implementations of APM-bios in
    laptops today are buggy. You may be putting your LCD-display and
    batteries at a risk by using this interface. (The reason this is
    not a problem for MS-Windows is that they use the real-mode
    interface.) If you see any weird behavior from your system with
    this code in use, unplug the power and batteries ASAP, if not
    immediately, and disable this code.

    We are very interested in getting this code working, so please send
    your observations of any anomalous behavior to us.

    When apm is active, calling the BIOS setup routine by using
    hot-keys, may cause serious trouble when resuming the system. BIOS
    setup programs should be called during bootstrap, or from DOS.

    Some APM implementations cannot handle events such as pushing the
    power button or closing the cover. On such implementations, the
    system must be suspended only by using apm(8) or zzz(8).

    Disk spin-down, LCD backlight control, and power on demand have not
    been supported on the current version.

    FreeBSD 7.0 November 1, 1994 FreeBSD 7.0

    FYI, though the above looks like a page from FreeBSD 7.0, but I
    currently am running FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT on my DELL Inspiron
    4150/1.8GHz/256MB/40GB machine.

    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP