ntpd connection refused - BSD

This is a discussion on ntpd connection refused - BSD ; Hello, I've got a new install of OpenBSD 4.2, running ntpd. I've confirmed ntpd is starting but i'm seeing recvfrom: connection refused msgs in my logs. I'm using the ntpd pool of public servers. I've uncommented the Listen directive in ...

  1. ntpd connection refused

    Hello,
    I've got a new install of OpenBSD 4.2, running ntpd. I've confirmed ntpd
    is starting but i'm seeing recvfrom: connection refused msgs in my logs. I'm
    using the ntpd pool of public servers. I've uncommented the Listen directive
    in ntpd.conf and restarted, but i'm still seeing the error. Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Dave.

  2. Re: ntpd connection refused

    Begin <474ba7fd$0$8689$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>
    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:15:41 -0500, Dave wrote:
    > I've got a new install of OpenBSD 4.2, running ntpd. I've confirmed ntpd
    > is starting but i'm seeing recvfrom: connection refused msgs in my logs. I'm
    > using the ntpd pool of public servers. I've uncommented the Listen directive
    > in ntpd.conf and restarted, but i'm still seeing the error. Any ideas?

    ``firewall''.

    Also, it is possible hosts in the pool died and didn't come back up.
    Or that upon reconnecting you got a new IP address, and ntpd does not
    rebind in that case; a restart of ntpd will fix it.

    Which of the three or maybe something else still is for you to work out.
    Do tell what it was.

  3. Re: ntpd connection refused

    Hi,
    Thanks for your reply. At this point this box isn't running a firewall,
    i've set it to use a local ntpd server and not the pool and i'm getting the
    same msg but from ::1 an ipv6 address, the connection refused.
    Thanks.
    Dave.

    "jpd" wrote in message
    news:slrnfknnhm.26rp.read_the_sig@mantell0.local.. .
    > Begin <474ba7fd$0$8689$4c368faf@roadrunner.com>
    > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 00:15:41 -0500, Dave wrote:
    >> I've got a new install of OpenBSD 4.2, running ntpd. I've confirmed
    >> ntpd
    >> is starting but i'm seeing recvfrom: connection refused msgs in my logs.
    >> I'm
    >> using the ntpd pool of public servers. I've uncommented the Listen
    >> directive
    >> in ntpd.conf and restarted, but i'm still seeing the error. Any ideas?

    > ``firewall''.
    >
    > Also, it is possible hosts in the pool died and didn't come back up.
    > Or that upon reconnecting you got a new IP address, and ntpd does not
    > rebind in that case; a restart of ntpd will fix it.
    >
    > Which of the three or maybe something else still is for you to work out.
    > Do tell what it was.
    >

    > --
    > j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    > This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    > Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    > consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

+ Reply to Thread