GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running - BSD

This is a discussion on GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running - BSD ; I am running windowmaker-0.92.0_3 compiled from ports with WM_SINGLE_CLICK, WM_LINGUAS, and DOCKHOTKEYS checked during the configure dialog on my FreeBSD latop: Terry@Dixie$ uname -mrs 21:36 FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386 When I attempt to run any GTK+ program while Window Maker is ...

  1. GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    I am running windowmaker-0.92.0_3 compiled from ports with WM_SINGLE_CLICK,
    WM_LINGUAS, and DOCKHOTKEYS checked during the configure dialog on my
    FreeBSD
    latop:

    Terry@Dixie$ uname -mrs
    21:36
    FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386

    When I attempt to run any GTK+ program while Window Maker is
    running the GTK+ program bombs out like so,

    Terry@Dixie$ gvim
    21:32
    Gtk-Qt theme engine warning:
    Could not open /proc/3769/cmdline
    This may cause problems for the GNOME window manager
    Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
    Vim: Finished.
    Terry@Dixie$ emacs
    21:33
    Gtk-Qt theme engine warning:
    Could not open /proc/3799/cmdline
    This may cause problems for the GNOME window manager
    Fatal error (11)zsh: segmentation fault emacs
    Terry@Dixie$ ~/code/oldstuff/GTK/helloworld
    21:33
    Gtk-Qt theme engine warning:
    Could not open /proc/3894/cmdline
    This may cause problems for the GNOME window manager
    zsh: segmentation fault ~/code/oldstuff/GTK/helloworld
    Terry@Dixie$
    21:33

    This is not really a problem since I don't use any GTK+ programs on my
    laptop
    regularlly. The only time I use Vim's GUI is on my windows machine but I
    would
    like to install Gimp later so I'dlike to figure this out.

    Before I installed wmaker, I was running KDE 3.5.7 without a hitch.

    Does any one have ideas? If any one has heard or seen of a problem like this
    before, I would very much appreciate a reference.

    Thanks,

    --
    "How many people work here?"
    "Oh, about half."

  2. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    ,--- TerryP writes:

    | I am running windowmaker-0.92.0_3 compiled from ports with WM_SINGLE_CLICK,
    | WM_LINGUAS, and DOCKHOTKEYS checked during the configure dialog on my
    | FreeBSD
    | latop:

    | Terry@Dixie$ uname -mrs
    | 21:36
    | FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE i386

    | When I attempt to run any GTK+ program while Window Maker is
    | running the GTK+ program bombs out like so,

    | Terry@Dixie$ gvim
    | 21:32
    | Gtk-Qt theme engine warning:
    | Could not open /proc/3769/cmdline
    | This may cause problems for the GNOME window manager
    | Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
    | Vim: Finished.
    | Terry@Dixie$ emacs
    | 21:33
    | Gtk-Qt theme engine warning:
    | Could not open /proc/3799/cmdline
    | This may cause problems for the GNOME window manager
    | Fatal error (11)zsh: segmentation fault emacs
    | Terry@Dixie$ ~/code/oldstuff/GTK/helloworld
    | 21:33
    | Gtk-Qt theme engine warning:
    | Could not open /proc/3894/cmdline
    | This may cause problems for the GNOME window manager
    | zsh: segmentation fault ~/code/oldstuff/GTK/helloworld
    | Terry@Dixie$
    | 21:33

    | This is not really a problem since I don't use any GTK+ programs on my
    | laptop
    | regularlly. The only time I use Vim's GUI is on my windows machine but I
    | would
    | like to install Gimp later so I'dlike to figure this out.

    | Before I installed wmaker, I was running KDE 3.5.7 without a hitch.

    | Does any one have ideas? If any one has heard or seen of a problem like this
    | before, I would very much appreciate a reference.

    It seems, your GTK+ apps are trying to access /proc filesystem, which
    is not mounted by default in FreeBSD. So looks like your GTK+ apps are
    assuming they're running on GNU/Linux. Have you installed these GTK+ apps
    - From FreeBSD ports, hmm... ?

    | Thanks,

    | --
    | "How many people work here?"
    | "Oh, about half."

    HTH
    - --
    Ashish Shukla आशीष शुक्ल http://wahjava.wordpress.com/

  3. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:12:39 +0530, Ashish Shukla ???? ????? wrote:
    : It seems, your GTK+ apps are trying to access /proc filesystem, which
    : is not mounted by default in FreeBSD. So looks like your GTK+ apps are
    : assuming they're running on GNU/Linux. Have you installed these GTK+ apps
    : - From FreeBSD ports, hmm... ?

    FWIW, easily resolved on a one user machine (*) by adding something like
    this to /etc/fstab

    proc /proc procfs rw 0 0

    .... and might as well add this

    linproc /compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0

    if there are any possibilities of needing linux compat access to the
    procfs

    I saw those errors as well a while back adding gtk apps from ports..

    (*) ISTR reading procfs implicates potential security holes on boxes
    accessed by more than one person

  4. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    Howard Goldstein wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:12:39 +0530, Ashish Shukla ???? ?????
    > wrote:
    > : It seems, your GTK+ apps are trying to access /proc filesystem, which
    > : is not mounted by default in FreeBSD. So looks like your GTK+ apps are
    > : assuming they're running on GNU/Linux. Have you installed these GTK+
    > : apps - From FreeBSD ports, hmm... ?
    >
    > FWIW, easily resolved on a one user machine (*) by adding something like
    > this to /etc/fstab
    >
    > proc /proc procfs rw 0 0
    >
    > ... and might as well add this
    >
    > linproc /compat/linux/proc linprocfs rw 0 0
    >

    > if there are any possibilities of needing linux compat access to the
    > procfs
    >
    > I saw those errors as well a while back adding gtk apps from ports..
    >

    > (*) ISTR reading procfs implicates potential security holes on boxes
    > accessed by more than one person

    This laptop is only used be me and rarely leaves the house, since the
    primary use of it is so I can be in my room and hit the code.

    linproc was already in /etc/fstab so I added the procfs one and rebooted.
    That has fixed the warnings from the Gtk-Qt theme engine coming through but
    the programs still crash on launch. I tried loading KDE again and they all
    work fine.

    Terry@Dixie$ gvim
    6:14
    Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
    Vim: Finished.
    Terry@Dixie$ emacs
    6:15
    Fatal error (11)zsh: segmentation fault emacs
    Terry@Dixie$ ~/code/oldstuff/GTK/helloworld
    6:16
    zsh: segmentation fault ~/code/oldstuff/GTK/helloworld
    Terry@Dixie$
    6:17

    Vim, was compiled from source -- the editors/vim port was broken when I set
    up one of my systems last year and I have built Vim from source ever since
    on all but Windows.

    GNU Emacs may have been from ports or packages I am not sure really. It's
    just installed so it is available not because I use it :\

    The third program is from a tutorial and was compiled with this makefile

    CC = gcc

    CFLAGS = -Wall \
    -DG_DISABLE_DEPRECATED \
    -DGDK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED \
    -DGDK_PIXBUF_DISABLE_DEPRECATED \
    -DGTK_DISABLE_DEPRECATED

    helloworld: helloworld.c
    $(CC) helloworld.c -o helloworld $(CFLAGS) `pkg-config
    gtk+-2.0 --cflags --libs`

    clean:
    rm -f *.o helloworld

    While I don't mind compiling stuff (I love ports), GTK+ and friends is a
    little to much for my laptop... A Sempron 3300+ sucks !

    --
    Modern man is the missing link between apes and human beings.

  5. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    :
    : > wrote:
    : > : It seems, your GTK+ apps are trying to access /proc filesystem, which
    : > : is not mounted by default in FreeBSD. So looks like your GTK+ apps are
    : > : assuming they're running on GNU/Linux. Have you installed these GTK+
    : > : apps - From FreeBSD ports, hmm... ?
    : >
[...]

    cool

    :
    : Terry@Dixie$ gvim
    : 6:14
    : Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
    : Vim: Finished.
    : Terry@Dixie$ emacs
    : 6:15
    : Fatal error (11)zsh: segmentation fault emacs
    : Terry@Dixie$ ~/code/oldstuff/GTK/helloworld
    : 6:16
    : zsh: segmentation fault ~/code/oldstuff/GTK/helloworld
    : Terry@Dixie$
    : 6:17
    :
    : Vim, was compiled from source -- the editors/vim port was broken when I set
    : up one of my systems last year and I have built Vim from source ever since
    : on all but Windows.
    :
    : GNU Emacs may have been from ports or packages I am not sure really. It's
    : just installed so it is available not because I use it :\
    :
    : The third program is from a tutorial and was compiled with this makefile

    Without a core backtrace you're not going to be able to figure out
    what's causing the segfault. In the handbook it talks about using gdb
    to get a backtrace, that wll narrow it down significantly.

    Failing that, do you have all of the daemons running that gnome wants?
    (nb., I'm not a gnome or kde or qt person) Is your ports tree up to
    date? It's gonna take forever to do on a laptop but why not go ahead
    and rebuild everything gvim depends including gvim and see if that
    fixes the broken bits. An invocation like

    portupgrade -fR gvim gvim

    after csupping a refreshed ports tree may get you up and running if
    there are older ports laying about that are getting in your way and
    you don't want to dig into the coredump or place the query over at the
    freebsd-gnome@ mailing list

  6. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    Howard Goldstein wrote:

    > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 01:30:46 -0500, TerryP wrote:
    > : Vim, was compiled from source -- the editors/vim port was broken when
    > : I set up one of my systems last year and I have built Vim from source
    > : ever since on all but Windows.
    > :
    > : GNU Emacs may have been from ports or packages I am not sure really.
    > : It's just installed so it is available not because I use it :\
    > :
    > : The third program is from a tutorial and was compiled with this
    > : makefile
    >
    > Without a core backtrace you're not going to be able to figure out
    > what's causing the segfault. In the handbook it talks about using gdb
    > to get a backtrace, that wll narrow it down significantly.
    >
    > Failing that, do you have all of the daemons running that gnome wants?
    > (nb., I'm not a gnome or kde or qt person) Is your ports tree up to
    > date? It's gonna take forever to do on a laptop but why not go ahead
    > and rebuild everything gvim depends including gvim and see if that
    > fixes the broken bits. An invocation like
    >
    > portupgrade -fR gvim gvim
    >
    > after csupping a refreshed ports tree may get you up and running if
    > there are older ports laying about that are getting in your way and
    > you don't want to dig into the coredump or place the query over at the
    > freebsd-gnome@ mailing list

    I've never worked with corefiles before but I'll look into it, GDB is easy
    to use so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll check the handbook & google for
    more info when I get home from errands today.

    The only deamons running should be all of these but xpt_thrd;

    Terry@Dixie$ ps -auxc|egrep '.*d$'
    14:58
    root 9 0.0 0.0 0 8 ?? DL 2:44PM 0:00.00 xpt_thrd
    root 786 0.0 0.1 528 380 ?? Ss 2:44PM 0:00.00 devd
    root 912 0.0 0.2 1404 1072 ?? Ss 2:44PM 0:00.01 syslogd
    root 1039 0.0 0.6 4196 2544 ?? Is 2:44PM 0:00.01 cupsd
    root 1058 0.0 0.7 5192 3080 ?? Ss 2:44PM 0:00.01 nmbd
    root 1062 0.0 1.2 8924 5532 ?? Is 2:44PM 0:00.01 smbd
    root 1077 0.0 1.2 8924 5524 ?? I 2:44PM 0:00.00 smbd
    root 1078 0.0 0.5 3664 2268 ?? Is 2:44PM 0:00.00 polkitd
    root 1089 0.0 0.2 1296 828 ?? Is 2:44PM 0:00.00 usbd
    haldaemon 1096 0.0 0.8 4776 3624 ?? Ss 2:44PM 0:00.81 hald
    root 1165 0.0 0.4 3008 1844 ?? Ss 2:44PM 0:00.03 ntpd
    root 1227 0.0 0.6 3532 2688 ?? Is 2:44PM 0:00.00 sshd
    root 1275 0.0 0.2 1436 880 ?? Ss 2:44PM 0:00.17 moused
    Terry 3410 0.0 1.8 10544 8052 ?? S 2:50PM 0:00.96 artsd

    And this is mostly in line with my rc.confo

    I am not a gnome person so I wouldn't know what daemons they expect, Vim was
    complied with support for gtk2 but not gnome and I can see how I configured
    it in vims :version output. Nore was the GTK+ test app complied with any
    thing more Gnome'ish then any generic GTK+ app. And emacs should not have
    been unless ports is getting drunk ;-)

    My last csup of the ports tree was 2007-11-20 in the wee hours of the UTC
    morning fyi.

    --
    Let he who takes the plunge remember to return it by Tuesday.

  7. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 10:08:23 -0500, TerryP wrote:
    : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    :
    : > On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 01:30:46 -0500, TerryP wrote:
    : > : Vim, was compiled from source -- the editors/vim port was broken when
    : > : I set up one of my systems last year and I have built Vim from source
    : > : ever since on all but Windows.
    : > :
[...]

    That makes the two of us not being gnome people. That can't be good.
    Xemacs used to have some weird dependencies including dependencies on
    XFree86 elements even though it wasn't built with X support; I commiserate.

    :
    :
    : My last csup of the ports tree was 2007-11-20 in the wee hours of the UTC
    : morning fyi.

    Yeah I'm not sure what to suggest. The tree is supposed to still be
    frozen but in actuality it's only partially frozen. When I run into
    issues like you're seeing with gnome I preemptively surrender and and
    rebuild the dependies upwards but that might be taking out the
    mosquito with the shotgun if you know what I mean.

  8. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    Howard Goldstein wrote:

    > Yeah I'm not sure what to suggest. The tree is supposed to still be
    > frozen but in actuality it's only partially frozen. When I run into
    > issues like you're seeing with gnome I preemptively surrender and and
    > rebuild the dependies upwards but that might be taking out the
    > mosquito with the shotgun if you know what I mean.

    I might be able to my desktop to generate some packages... But I still would
    like to skip compiling GTK+ and friends again =/

    Sempron 3300+ CPU (2.0Ghz) and 512MB DDR != fun build machine.

    Ok, back to work I go... Need to look up corefiles.

    It's good that I don't use Firefox hahaha !

    --
    Remember to say hello to your bank teller.

  9. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:32:49 -0500, TerryP wrote:
    : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    :
    : > Yeah I'm not sure what to suggest. The tree is supposed to still be
    : > frozen but in actuality it's only partially frozen. When I run into
    : > issues like you're seeing with gnome I preemptively surrender and and
    : > rebuild the dependies upwards but that might be taking out the
    : > mosquito with the shotgun if you know what I mean.
    :
    : I might be able to my desktop to generate some packages... But I still would
    : like to skip compiling GTK+ and friends again =/
    :
    : Sempron 3300+ CPU (2.0Ghz) and 512MB DDR != fun build machine.
    :
    : Ok, back to work I go... Need to look up corefiles.
    :
    : It's good that I don't use Firefox hahaha !

    There's your answer with your desktop. Firefox to a package in < 15
    minutes on the Ooomphy system to save hours and hours and hours on the
    wee small wimpy box....

  10. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 16:47:31 GMT, Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 22:32:49 -0500, TerryP wrote:
    : : Howard Goldstein wrote:
    : :
[...]

    Oh for the coredumps, just gdb pooo.core
    A 'bt' will get you the backtrace and you'll see where it took a dump

    Sometimes you can see what's up without having symbols but sometimes
    you just gotta have built the offending apps with symbols for this to
    do any good.

  11. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    Howard Goldstein wrote:

    > Oh for the coredumps, just gdb pooo.core
    > A 'bt' will get you the backtrace and you'll see where it took a dump
    >
    > Sometimes you can see what's up without having symbols but sometimes
    > you just gotta have built the offending apps with symbols for this to
    > do any good.

    Actually the problem is trying to get a core file to run GDB on ;-)

    I haven't been able to find it online and recompiling the basic GTK program
    with full debugging symbols (-ggdb3) doesn't get it to dump core. Just
    running it in GDB does show a crash pretty darn fast though:

    Terry@Dixie$ gdb helloworld
    22:27
    GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
    ..... copyright stuff
    (gdb) break 1
    Breakpoint 1 at 0x8048994: file helloworld.c, line 1.
    (gdb) run
    Starting program: /usr/home/Terry/code/oldstuff/GTK/helloworld
    warning: Unable to get location for thread creation breakpoint: generic
    error
    [New LWP 100113]
    [New Thread 0x8053000 (LWP 100113)]

    [Switching to Thread 0x8053000 (LWP 100078)]
    0x288e4724 in setenv () from /lib/libc.so.6
    (gdb) bt

    http://pastebin.ca/803137 # backtrace and source

    (gdb) generate-core-file
    Saved corefile core.95336

    No clue if it's the proper way to get one but hey I guess it's a core file
    ^_^

    --
    Such evil deeds could religion prompt.
    -- Titus Lucretius Carus

  12. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    TerryP wrote:

    > When I attempt to run any GTK+ program while Window Maker is
    > running the GTK+ program bombs out like so,
    >
    > Terry@Dixie$ gvim
    > 21:32
    > Gtk-Qt theme engine warning:
    > Could not open /proc/3769/cmdline
    > This may cause problems for the GNOME window manager

    The port gtk-qt-engine crashs if you don't run KDE.

  13. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    Ashish Shukla wrote:

    > It seems, your GTK+ apps are trying to access /proc filesystem, which
    > is not mounted by default in FreeBSD. So looks like your GTK+ apps are
    > assuming they're running on GNU/Linux. Have you installed these GTK+ apps
    > - From FreeBSD ports, hmm... ?

    This is only a warning from the gtk-qt-engine. I've sent a patch to the
    author that use the libkvm instead of procfs.
    I don't know why but gtk-qt-engine always crashs if you don't run KDE.

  14. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    On Fri, 30 Nov 2007 17:43:05 -0500, TerryP wrote:
    : No clue if it's the proper way to get one but hey I guess it's a core file
    : ^_^

    Oh I've never tried saveing core dumps in gdb - cool!

    I fear we've reached the point where I don't remember how to talk gdb
    into playing with threaded processes (I don't think it's diffcult).
    I'm older than dirt, dude, those days when we walked uphill to school
    both ways in the snow we were a lot more virile and wanted to fork()
    everything in sight, or when I was buds with Methusulah we'd just run
    a commutator. We didn't have any of this fancy dancy threading stuff.
    In other words please share your progress

  15. Re: GTK+ Programs are crashing while wmaker is running

    TerryP wrote:
    > Howard Goldstein wrote:
    >
    >> Oh for the coredumps, just gdb pooo.core
    >> A 'bt' will get you the backtrace and you'll see where it took a dump
    >>
    >> Sometimes you can see what's up without having symbols but sometimes
    >> you just gotta have built the offending apps with symbols for this to
    >> do any good.

    > Actually the problem is trying to get a core file to run GDB on ;-)
    >
    > I haven't been able to find it online and recompiling the basic GTK program
    > with full debugging symbols (-ggdb3) doesn't get it to dump core. Just
    > running it in GDB does show a crash pretty darn fast though:
    >
    > Terry@Dixie$ gdb helloworld
    > 22:27
    > GNU gdb 6.1.1 [FreeBSD]
    > .... copyright stuff
    > (gdb) break 1
    > Breakpoint 1 at 0x8048994: file helloworld.c, line 1.
    > (gdb) run
    > Starting program: /usr/home/Terry/code/oldstuff/GTK/helloworld
    > warning: Unable to get location for thread creation breakpoint: generic
    > error
    > [New LWP 100113]
    > [New Thread 0x8053000 (LWP 100113)]

    > [Switching to Thread 0x8053000 (LWP 100078)]
    > 0x288e4724 in setenv () from /lib/libc.so.6
    > (gdb) bt
    >
    > http://pastebin.ca/803137 # backtrace and source
    >
    > (gdb) generate-core-file
    > Saved corefile core.95336
    >
    > No clue if it's the proper way to get one but hey I guess it's a core file
    > ^_^

    I'm using freebsd7+fluxbox and i have problems with gtk aplications... I
    find that i have to set two values G_SLICE and OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP...
    Maybe it will help you too..

    try to add this to /etc/profile.

    export G_SLICE=always-malloc
    export OOO_FORCE_DESKTOP=gnome