Diskless booting on FreeBSD-7.0 ? - BSD

This is a discussion on Diskless booting on FreeBSD-7.0 ? - BSD ; I am trying to get my notebook diskless booted from FreeBSD-7.0. I am sure that the same notebook booted fine from 6.x. Now the last lines of the boot sequence (va PXE) read (with either custom or GENERIC kernel): Trying ...

  1. Diskless booting on FreeBSD-7.0 ?

    I am trying to get my notebook diskless booted from FreeBSD-7.0.
    I am sure that the same notebook booted fine from 6.x.

    Now the last lines of the boot sequence (va PXE) read (with either
    custom or GENERIC kernel):

    Trying to mount root from nfs:192.168.0.29:/home/DISKLESS
    NFS_ROOT: 192.168.0.29:/home/DISKLESS
    fxp0: link state changed to UP

    Afterwards the system hangs. I tried with/out ACPI etc.

    BTW: My real intention is, to get my i386 MacMini booted diskless.
    Any direct hints to this problem are welcome, too.
    --
    Dipl.-Math. Wilhelm Bernhard Kloke
    Institut fuer Arbeitsphysiologie an der Universitaet Dortmund

  2. Re: Diskless booting on FreeBSD-7.0 ?

    Begin <1195992857.103322@vestein.arb-phys.uni-dortmund.de>
    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 12:13:50 +0000 (UTC),
    W.B. Kloke wrote:
    > I am trying to get my notebook diskless booted from FreeBSD-7.0.
    > I am sure that the same notebook booted fine from 6.x.

    So, the obvious question that pops up is: what changed between six and
    seven? I haven't paid attention to the differences yet since my 6.2
    setup works fine and 7.0 has not been released yet -- you're probably
    running 7.0-BETA3 that as such is not unlikely to have problems.

    A quick look at the 7.0 TODO list reveals an interesting ``TCP issues''
    item, under the ``Major issues for 7.0-RELEASE'' heading. What it means?
    I don't know. I speculate you may just have run into it.

    > Now the last lines of the boot sequence (va PXE) read (with either
    > custom or GENERIC kernel):
    >
    > Trying to mount root from nfs:192.168.0.29:/home/DISKLESS
    > NFS_ROOT: 192.168.0.29:/home/DISKLESS
    > fxp0: link state changed to UP
    >
    > Afterwards the system hangs. I tried with/out ACPI etc.

    Choose better debugging tools. With or without ACPI doesn't help you
    if the system is already past the point of using ACPI to figure out
    what the hardware looks like. It has already configured drivers for the
    hardware and is now trying to mount root.

    Over NFS, so you could try and enable verbose booting to see more of
    what is going on, look at the logs of your NFS server, maybe your DHCP
    server, fire up tcpdump, and so on and so forth.

  3. Re: Diskless booting on FreeBSD-7.0 ?

    On 2007-11-25, W.B. Kloke wrote:
    > Afterwards the system hangs. I tried with/out ACPI etc.
    >
    > BTW: My real intention is, to get my i386 MacMini booted diskless.
    > Any direct hints to this problem are welcome, too.

    Now I think that the problem is in the server (7.0-BETA3). Other
    clients mounting NFS services from this server hang, too.
    --
    Dipl.-Math. Wilhelm Bernhard Kloke
    Institut fuer Arbeitsphysiologie an der Universitaet Dortmund
    Ardeystrasse 67, D-44139 Dortmund, Tel. 0231-1084-257
    PGP: http://vestein.arb-phys.uni-dortmund...b/mypublic.key

+ Reply to Thread