Booting ok, but no login prompt - BSD

This is a discussion on Booting ok, but no login prompt - BSD ; Hi, played around with /etc/ttys and /etc/termcap, see man ppp on direct connections, and accidently deleted something. Now, I cant login anymore, the login prompt does not appear, the machine seems to freeze shortly before. Searched the net for a ...

  1. Booting ok, but no login prompt

    Hi, played around with /etc/ttys and /etc/termcap, see man ppp on direct
    connections, and accidently deleted something.

    Now, I cant login anymore, the login prompt does not appear, the machine
    seems to freeze shortly before.

    Searched the net for a solution but could not find anything. What is
    happening, what can I do?

    Thanks,

    H.

  2. Re: Booting ok, but no login prompt

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 01:44:51 +0100, Heiko Recktenwald wrote:
    : Searched the net for a solution but could not find anything. What is
    : happening, what can I do?

    If there's no ttys /bin/login won't run on the relevant interface. If
    ctrl-alt-F2 / F3 etc doesn't get you to a funcitoning one then the
    second easiest way to fix is to boot to a live cd, mount your root fs,
    rename the ones you messed with and copy good ones off the cd. Then
    boot back on your regular root and restore from backups or figure out
    what's wrong.

+ Reply to Thread