Asus Eee - BSD

This is a discussion on Asus Eee - BSD ; I'm smitten. This thing is so small. This thing is so much more usable than a PDA or one of those smartphones. But it's a big step backwards from FreeBSD to linux, if only for the learning curve and integration ...

  1. Asus Eee

    I'm smitten. This thing is so small. This thing is so much more
    usable than a PDA or one of those smartphones. But it's a big step
    backwards from FreeBSD to linux, if only for the learning curve and
    integration with the rest of the shop that is FreeBSD...

    Anyone else here playing with a Eee and pondering if not working on
    bringing the lil devil along for the ride?

  2. Re: Asus Eee

    Howard Goldstein wrote:
    > I'm smitten. This thing is so small. This thing is so much more
    > usable than a PDA or one of those smartphones. But it's a big step
    > backwards from FreeBSD to linux, if only for the learning curve and
    > integration with the rest of the shop that is FreeBSD...
    >
    > Anyone else here playing with a Eee and pondering if not working on
    > bringing the lil devil along for the ride?

    Hardware support--particularly video and networking--and any
    customizations would be the concern. I'd like to have one for a few
    weeks to play with, but have no real excuse to buy one.

    Did find this message:

    http://lists.nycbug.org/pipermail/cd...er/000315.html

    Maybe when the 8G version comes out, used 4G versions will be available
    for cheap.

  3. Re: Asus Eee

    In article ,
    Warren Block writes:
    > Howard Goldstein wrote:
    >> I'm smitten. This thing is so small. This thing is so much more
    >> usable than a PDA or one of those smartphones. But it's a big step
    >> backwards from FreeBSD to linux, if only for the learning curve and
    >> integration with the rest of the shop that is FreeBSD...
    >>
    >> Anyone else here playing with a Eee and pondering if not working on
    >> bringing the lil devil along for the ride?

    > Hardware support--particularly video and networking--and any
    > customizations would be the concern. I'd like to have one for a few
    > weeks to play with, but have no real excuse to buy one.
    >
    > Did find this message:
    >
    > http://lists.nycbug.org/pipermail/cd...er/000315.html
    >
    > Maybe when the 8G version comes out, used 4G versions will be available
    > for cheap.

    Cost less than $400. How cheap do you want it to be?

    bill

    University of Scranton |
    Scranton, Pennsylvania | #include

  4. Re: Asus Eee

    On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 02:22:33 -0000, Warren Block wrote:
    : Did find this message:
    :
    : http://lists.nycbug.org/pipermail/cd...er/000315.html

    Oh, that sucks. I'm glad I didn't wipe the flash. Maybe it's
    supported in -current? One of the posters on eeeuser suggested the
    problem would be more with the lack of wap support than actual
    hardware support.

    I wish I had a USB cd drive I could try live booting. Anyone have any
    luck with those USB to sata adapters with CD drives?

    I'm still enamored with this little son of a .

  5. Re: Asus Eee

    Bill Gunshannon wrote:
    > In article ,
    > Warren Block writes:
    >>
    >> Maybe when the 8G version comes out, used 4G versions will be available
    >> for cheap.

    > Cost less than $400. How cheap do you want it to be?

    In my case, cheap enough so that buying one just for the short-term
    entertainment of trying it isn't a waste.

    If I was actually considering one for something productive, the
    comparison with a normal notebook would be rough. The original rumored
    price was supposed to be $299, and that would put the Eee right between
    PDAs and notebooks.