I have seen the hell of FreeBSD - BSD

This is a discussion on I have seen the hell of FreeBSD - BSD ; The task was easy, just try to get in with gdm without entering a password. Such an easy task, such a total ****ed up FreeBSD system. On ubuntu it was clicking through the user interface and worked instantly. On FreeBSD ...

  1. I have seen the hell of FreeBSD

    The task was easy, just try to get in with gdm without entering a
    password. Such an easy task, such a total ****ed up FreeBSD system. On
    ubuntu it was clicking through the user interface and worked
    instantly.

    On FreeBSD 6.2 i now give up after 3 hours.

    First browsing the GUI shows there is no menu item in the Gnome
    Desktop. Only a login picture could be changed. With Ubuntu the task
    was almost over at this point.

    So i started to use google. This told me that the login screen has a
    lot of things to offer. Hmmm. Second very bad and this time first
    stupid idea. I couldn't check the mentioned gdmsetup GUI tool because
    i don't have internet access on this machine at the moment and this
    tool was not installed by default - **** you package management team
    if i say gdm i don't care about a ****ing few bytes of diskspace i
    want everything that might be usefull for gdm.

    So i found the configuration settings in the login screen, but they
    don't work. The autologin on boot still does ask me for a password.
    Tried to set an empty password nothing helped.

    Then i did "man gdm". A total insane man page written in ancient times
    told me almost nothing. A website link that was out of date, but
    luckily there was a redirect. The man page mentioned file locations
    for default.conf at /etc/gdm/custom.conf and /usr/share/gdm/
    custon.conf but there was nothing. So i did a 'find / -name "gdm"' to
    to find out that this does not display matching directory names (whats
    the option?) but never mind "find / -name "*gdm*" helped to me to that
    it is in "/usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf". So this was a first success.
    But i couldn't find an additional option. Some texts i found with
    google told me that

    [daemon]
    PasswordRequired=false

    should do it. No it does not work. The documentation of
    http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/do...iguration.html
    does describe this has a different purpose.

    Then i looked here

    This seemed nice. I don't know anything about PAM and i really really
    hope that this will not change. I'm just not interested in it. I have
    a simple wish and i want to get this whish not a brainwash thats
    putting hunderts of pages of documentation and concepts in my mind
    which works perfect without knowing about this.

    I tried this hint just by following the mini-faq. Okay my /etc/pam.d/
    gdm file looks much different, but i try anyway. Added the lines and
    logout. Just to see a shocking thing - all authentification stopped
    working. Congratulation i thought, no network means no ssh to fix the
    ****ing file.

    So i did a restart and well the first nice thing happend. It switched
    to console login and showed me a message that pam_listfile.so does not
    exist. Good. I could use pico to remove the line just added.

    So i wasted 3 full hours reading about some part of software that is
    widely used, terrible documented and where the usual 100 answers from
    100 different script kiddies (aka admins) does not work on this
    FreeBSD system.

    So please can somebody tell me what i should do now?
    I'm really really disapointed again. Is this the quality of free
    software. Unfortunately i'm scared that the answer is yes because it
    is far from being the first time. I'm using Unix systems since
    university days in 1992 and everytime i had to configure something it
    was just as stupid complex designed without any user help (well the
    later was not true for solaris - there it was to much documentation
    that i had to read).

  2. Re: I have seen the hell of FreeBSD

    llothar writes:

    > The task was easy, just try to get in with gdm without entering a
    > password. Such an easy task, such a total ****ed up FreeBSD system. On
    > ubuntu it was clicking through the user interface and worked
    > instantly.
    >
    > On FreeBSD 6.2 i now give up after 3 hours.
    >
    > First browsing the GUI shows there is no menu item in the Gnome
    > Desktop. Only a login picture could be changed. With Ubuntu the task
    > was almost over at this point.

    here in my 7.0 box i can do this. It is just in gdm settings...

    > So i started to use google. This told me that the login screen has a
    > lot of things to offer. Hmmm. Second very bad and this time first
    > stupid idea. I couldn't check the mentioned gdmsetup GUI tool because
    > i don't have internet access on this machine at the moment and this
    > tool was not installed by default - **** you package management team
    > if i say gdm i don't care about a ****ing few bytes of diskspace i
    > want everything that might be usefull for gdm.
    >
    > So i found the configuration settings in the login screen, but they
    > don't work. The autologin on boot still does ask me for a password.
    > Tried to set an empty password nothing helped.
    >
    > Then i did "man gdm". A total insane man page written in ancient times
    > told me almost nothing. A website link that was out of date, but
    > luckily there was a redirect. The man page mentioned file locations
    > for default.conf at /etc/gdm/custom.conf and /usr/share/gdm/
    > custon.conf but there was nothing. So i did a 'find / -name "gdm"' to
    > to find out that this does not display matching directory names (whats
    > the option?) but never mind "find / -name "*gdm*" helped to me to that
    > it is in "/usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf". So this was a first success.
    > But i couldn't find an additional option. Some texts i found with
    > google told me that

    gdm configuration file is not any more under /usr/X11R6. For FreeBSD-6.X
    and above it should reside under /usr/local/etc/gdm

    and you should just edit /usr/local/etc/gdm/custom.conf, which will only
    override the default gdm settings from
    /usr/local/share/gdm/defaults.conf.

    to summarize, just find useful settings from
    /usr/local/share/gdm/defaults.conf or from gdm manulas, and add them in

    --

  3. Re: I have seen the hell of rude linux users

    On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:47:05 -0800 (PST), llothar wrote:
    > The task was easy, just try to get in with gdm without entering a
    > password. Such an easy task, such a total ****ed up FreeBSD system. On
    > ubuntu it was clicking through the user interface and worked
    > instantly.
    >
    > On FreeBSD 6.2 i now give up after 3 hours.

    Yawn. If you want people to help you, try being polite rather than
    insulting.

    A bientot
    Paul
    --
    Paul Floyd http://paulf.free.fr

  4. Re: I have seen the hell of FreeBSD

    In news:01dcd43e-a01e-4342-94fb-403869e56bbc@a39g2000pre.googlegroups.com,
    llothar wrote:

    > The task was easy, just try to get in with gdm without entering a
    > password.

    No, your task was just stupid.

  5. Re: I have seen the hell of FreeBSD

    Gretch wrote:

    > In news:01dcd43e-a01e-4342-94fb-403869e56bbc@a39g2000pre.googlegroups.com,
    > llothar wrote:
    >
    >> The task was easy, just try to get in with gdm without entering a
    >> password.

    > No, your task was just stupid.

    I agree.

    The only system here that does not use passworded logins is my mothers
    E-Mail
    box he he. But if it's a Desktop Single-User system I suppose it's not to
    stupid
    as long as risk of break-ins are low, but I'd still suggest MS-DOS if people
    don't need Mutli-User or Multi-Tasking systems ;-)

    I am *not* a GNOME user but I know in KDE, it takes about 2 minutes to set
    this
    up in the control panel. The only time I have ever used Gnome was when I
    tested
    Ubuntu 6.06, for which I never found many configuration options without
    having
    to hunt them down.

    If you don't like FreeBSD, go back to Ubuntu -- I don't mean to be rude but
    you'll probably be more happy there.

  6. Re: I have seen the hell of rude linux users

    Paul,

    Paul Floyd wrote:

    > Yawn. If you want people to help you, try being polite rather than
    > insulting.

    He already couldn't help ranting and annoying people in the solaris
    groups. Just don't take anything he writes seriously. He's just a well-
    known little Troll -- and not even a good one, for that matter.

    --
    "For the Snark's a peculiar creature, that won't
    Be caught in a commonplace way.

  7. Re: I have seen the hell of FreeBSD

    On Sun, 25 Nov 2007 02:24:15 -0500, TerryP wrote:
    : Gretch wrote:
    :
    : > In news:01dcd43e-a01e-4342-94fb-403869e56bbc@a39g2000pre.googlegroups.com,
    : > llothar wrote:
    : >
    : >> The task was easy, just try to get in with gdm without entering a
    : >> password.
    : >
    : > No, your task was just stupid.
    :
    : I agree.
    :

    Is this a gdm limit? As you note in the next para it always used to
    be possible to give a user a blank password if he wanted

    :
    : The only system here that does not use passworded logins is my mothers
    : E-Mail
    : box he he. But if it's a Desktop Single-User system I suppose it's not to
    : stupid
    : as long as risk of break-ins are low, but I'd still suggest MS-DOS if people
    : don't need Mutli-User or Multi-Tasking systems ;-)
    :

+ Reply to Thread