snmpconf question (newbie) - BSD

This is a discussion on snmpconf question (newbie) - BSD ; Hi, I installed FreeBSD 6.2 according to http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org/index.php/...ng_FreeBSD_6.2 That went well. Then I went on with http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org/index.php/...BSD_6.2_Server to deploy FreeBSD as a server. I installed the daemons portupgrade, webmin and net-snmp and I synchronized the time, but then when I ...

  1. snmpconf question (newbie)

    Hi,

    I installed FreeBSD 6.2 according to
    http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org/index.php/...ng_FreeBSD_6.2

    That went well.

    Then I went on with
    http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org/index.php/...BSD_6.2_Server to
    deploy FreeBSD as a server.

    I installed the daemons portupgrade, webmin and net-snmp and I
    synchronized the time, but then when I have to configure net-snmp I am
    at a loss. When I execute snmp I am overwhelmed by the questions I have
    to answer. I tried to do it once, but then, when I went on to configure
    webmin, that didn't work so well: executing
    /usr/local/lib/webmin/setup.sh seemd to work but then at he end it said:

    --snip
    Running postinstall scripts ..
    : Permission denied
    ...done
    --snip

    Could this have to do with the snmpconf done wrong?
    How should snmpconf be answered?
    I tried reading the snmp man file, but I don't understamd that.

    I hope somenone can help me out here.

    BTW
    I also registered as a openaddict.com forum member, but that doesn't
    work for me, because everytime I want to login with my newly ceated
    account I get a page not found error. I also tried to contact the forum
    admins, without succes.

    Greetings,
    Roel

  2. Re: snmpconf question (newbie)

    Begin <47442D23.1080809@xs4all.nl>
    On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:05:39 +0100, Roel Neumann wrote:
    > I installed FreeBSD 6.2 according to
    > http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org/index.php/...ng_FreeBSD_6.2

    Uh, what is that? *looks* Oh, some offering of LOTS OF SCREENSHOTS.
    Cool. Did you read the FreeBSD handbook? If not, you should.

    > I installed the daemons portupgrade, webmin and net-snmp and I
    > synchronized the time,

    I hope you gave some ntp servers more local to you instead of what that
    guy is documenting for himself. If not, you're needlessly sending your
    traffic across the pond. Look up what ntp servers xs4all offers their
    clients. xs4all is pretty good that way.

    > but then when I have to configure net-snmp I am at a loss. When I
    > execute snmp I am overwhelmed by the questions I have to answer.

    Yes, and you should understand what they mean, too. SNMP is an
    administration tool, and admins really should know what they are doing.

    > I tried to do it once, but then, when I went on to configure
    > webmin, that didn't work so well: executing
    > /usr/local/lib/webmin/setup.sh seemd to work but then at he end it said:
    >
    > --snip
    > Running postinstall scripts ..
    >: Permission denied
    > ..done
    > --snip
    >
    > Could this have to do with the snmpconf done wrong?

    Inspect the script and find out. There is not enough information in
    the above for me to guess what might have gone wrong, except perhaps
    that you ran it as a normal user and it wanted root.

    I don't use webmin as I think it's a waste of time. But then, I usually
    know what I'm doing.

    > How should snmpconf be answered?

    ``Appropriately''.

    It doesn't ask those questions because there are universal answers. It
    asks them because it needs your answers to function properly.

    > I tried reading the snmp man file, but I don't understamd that.

    Well, best forget about SNMP for the moment, then. Kudos for trying,
    though. OTOH, that is only the reference manual, not an introduction.

    One of the basic tenets of running a server, or an anything that is
    connected to the internet, is that you're responsible for what it does.
    If you don't understand what you are doing, you are being irresponsible.
    This might be a harsh contrast to the practice of people using produce
    from a certain large software vendor, but it is how it works here.

    Start with the following: figure out what net-snmp does and why you
    would need it. If you need it for something, figure out how its
    configuration works and how to configure it for your needs.

    We don't know what your situation is so we can't answer the why for you.
    The rest is already well documented. There are plenty materials to be
    found on the 'net, and your local bookstore might have or can order you
    plenty of books with lots of explanation. All that does not fit in the
    margin of this post, so I'll leave that as an excercise.

    > BTW
    > I also registered as a openaddict.com forum member, but that doesn't
    > work for me, because everytime I want to login with my newly ceated
    > account I get a page not found error. I also tried to contact the forum
    > admins, without succes.

    We can't help you with that. This is USENET, and has nothing whatsoever
    to do with ``forums'', even if google led you to believe otherwise.

  3. Re: snmpconf question (newbie)

    jpd schreef:
    > Begin <47442D23.1080809@xs4all.nl>
    > On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 14:05:39 +0100, Roel Neumann wrote:
    >> I installed FreeBSD 6.2 according to
    >> http://dfwlpiki.dfwlp.org/index.php/...ng_FreeBSD_6.2

    > Uh, what is that? *looks* Oh, some offering of LOTS OF SCREENSHOTS.
    > Cool. Did you read the FreeBSD handbook? If not, you should.

    Not from beginning to end.

    >> I installed the daemons portupgrade, webmin and net-snmp and I
    >> synchronized the time,

    > I hope you gave some ntp servers more local to you instead of what that
    > guy is documenting for himself. If not, you're needlessly sending your
    > traffic across the pond. Look up what ntp servers xs4all offers their
    > clients. xs4all is pretty good that way.

    I used nl.pool.ntp.org

    >> but then when I have to configure net-snmp I am at a loss. When I
    >> execute snmp I am overwhelmed by the questions I have to answer.

    > Yes, and you should understand what they mean, too. SNMP is an
    > administration tool, and admins really should know what they are doing.

    That's why I posterd to this group :-)
    I was hoping to get some directions as where I can learn about snmp.

    >> I tried to do it once, but then, when I went on to configure
    >> webmin, that didn't work so well: executing
    >> /usr/local/lib/webmin/setup.sh seemd to work but then at he end it said:
    >>
    >> --snip
    >> Running postinstall scripts ..
    >> : Permission denied
    >> ..done
    >> --snip
    >>
    >> Could this have to do with the snmpconf done wrong?

    > Inspect the script and find out. There is not enough information in
    > the above for me to guess what might have gone wrong, except perhaps
    > that you ran it as a normal user and it wanted root.

    I ran it as root.

    > I don't use webmin as I think it's a waste of time. But then, I usually
    > know what I'm doing.

    Well, I am learning.

    >> How should snmpconf be answered?

    > ``Appropriately''.
    >
    > It doesn't ask those questions because there are universal answers. It
    > asks them because it needs your answers to function properly.
    >

    >> I tried reading the snmp man file, but I don't understamd that.

    > Well, best forget about SNMP for the moment, then. Kudos for trying,
    > though. OTOH, that is only the reference manual, not an introduction.

    I ran snmpconf -g basic_setup, answered all the questions (mostly default)

    Next I ran the webmin setup again, withe same same result.
    But now I had found after a search that this didn't matter and that
    Webmin functioned anyhow, and so it did.

    > One of the basic tenets of running a server, or an anything that is
    > connected to the internet, is that you're responsible for what it does.
    > If you don't understand what you are doing, you are being irresponsible.
    > This might be a harsh contrast to the practice of people using produce
    > from a certain large software vendor, but it is how it works here.

    Hey, I am sorry for trying to learn UNIX and FreeBSD on a testserver :-)

    I am going to read http://net-snmp.sourceforge.net/

    > We don't know what your situation is so we can't answer the why for you.
    > The rest is already well documented. There are plenty materials to be
    > found on the 'net, and your local bookstore might have or can order you
    > plenty of books with lots of explanation. All that does not fit in the
    > margin of this post, so I'll leave that as an excercise.
    >

    >> BTW
    >> I also registered as a openaddict.com forum member, but that doesn't
    >> work for me, because everytime I want to login with my newly ceated
    >> account I get a page not found error. I also tried to contact the forum
    >> admins, without succes.

    > We can't help you with that. This is USENET, and has nothing whatsoever
    > to do with ``forums'', even if google led you to believe otherwise.

    I just mentioned this to let you know that I tried to ask the writer of
    the FreeBSD installation pages I mentioned my questions. And I am aware
    that Usenet is not a forum. I use newsgroups from before the Web existed.

    Thanks anyway for your thoughts.

    Roel

+ Reply to Thread