Re: 2007 The greatest defeat in LinTard history. - BSD

This is a discussion on Re: 2007 The greatest defeat in LinTard history. - BSD ; HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote: > "Hadron" wrote > > Actually, no it hasn't. Ubuntu was build on Debian which has been > > around for 11 years. > > I tried to install debian last summer. > > Didn't support my sound ...

  1. Re: 2007 The greatest defeat in LinTard history.

    HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:

    > "Hadron" wrote
    > > Actually, no it hasn't. Ubuntu was build on Debian which has been
    > > around for 11 years.

    > I tried to install debian last summer.
    >
    > Didn't support my sound card
    > Didn't support my network card
    > Ran my HD in comatibility mode
    > No hardware accelerated video
    >
    > Didn't provide me with a mouse pointer.
    >
    > On about the 20'th reboot it had a kernel panic and failed to run at
    > that point
    >
    > It was then ERASED FROM EXISTANCE.
    >
    > 11 years old ay? Impressive.
    >
    > Impressive something so worthless could survive that long.

    With Linsux, hardware is a real crap shoot. I have an old Gateway GP-7
    500 that was given to me, and not one single distribution installs on
    it. I can turn off DMA on the installs and some like Ubuntu get
    further, but just crap out further in when trying to install packages.
    Something is completely incompatible with the IDE chipset and the Linux
    kernel.

    Of course XP installed just fine. I will give credit to something
    called Wubi which did work and allowed me run Ubuntu using a virtual
    disk which circumvented the whole issue - I just had to turn off DMA on
    the CD-ROM and Ubuntu worked. Of course, now that 7.10 is out Wubi no
    longer works until an updated version is released. Oh well, the
    continuing saga of the not so improving Linsux. On another machine,
    PCLinuxOS install just reboots it over and over again, but Ubuntu and
    others do install on this box. Again, a real crap shoot.

    Out of all the machines I have, the success rate for various Linux
    distros is about 50% when it comes to installing, and detecting the
    hardware correctly. The Linsux BSOD (black screen of death) is one of
    the most annoying problems. If it can't even detect the video and
    monitor and at least be in a semi-functional state, then it is pretty
    useless. Some install and leave you running in 640x480 mode or
    something lower that what is possible.

    No wonder Linsux is free, it has to be - no one would pay a cent for it
    off a shelf just to get it home and find that is doesn't install on
    some particular PC. The only way Linsux can be somewhat successful, is
    if it came preinstalled and preconfigured on hardware that it is known
    to work with. This is sort of ironic, because that is the main way
    Windows became successful.

    Toad

    --

  2. Re: 2007 The greatest defeat in LinTard history.

    I demand that Toad may or may not have written...

    [snip]
    > With Linux, hardware is a real crap shoot.

    Well... yes, but also no. I've tended to stick with slightly out-of-date
    hardware, and I've hit no significant problems.

    > I have an old Gateway GP-7 500 that was given to me, and not one single
    > distribution installs on it. I can turn off DMA on the installs and some
    > like Ubuntu get further, but just crap out further in when trying to
    > install packages. Something is completely incompatible with the IDE chipset
    > and the Linux kernel.

    $ uname -a
    $ lspci -v
    $ dmesg

    will provide information useful in a bug report.

    [snip]
    > On another machine, PCLinuxOS install just reboots it over and over again,
    > but Ubuntu and others do install on this box. Again, a real crap shoot.

    Could be down to kernel bugs; I wouldn't like to rule out broken hardware
    either, whether down to age or (mis)design. (You've probably noticed
    memtest86 on that Ubuntu CD...)

    > Out of all the machines I have, the success rate for various Linux distros
    > is about 50% when it comes to installing, and detecting the hardware
    > correctly.

    50% and improving, hopefully. (It might be interesting to know what machines
    these are, and what hardware has been installed in them.)

    > The Linux BSOD (black screen of death) is one of the most annoying
    > problems. If it can't even detect the video and monitor and at least be in
    > a semi-functional state, then it is pretty useless.

    http://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentat...al-console.txt along with a
    serial cable and another computer running terminal software may well help
    with debugging that kind of problem.

    > Some install and leave you running in 640x480 mode or something lower that
    > what is possible.

    I currently see a 720x400 console (I know why, though - I'm using vesafb when
    I should be using radeonfb, but there was a bug with display mode setup which
    caused monitor standby mode and affected R3xx- and R4xx-based cards).

    X uses the full available resolution; no problems there.

    > No wonder Linux is free, it has to be - no one would pay a cent for it off
    > a shelf just to get it home and find that is doesn't install on some
    > particular PC.

    Some wouldn't. Others might try to get some help.

    I wouldn't; but then we don't have cents here. ;-)

    > The only way Linux can be somewhat successful, is if it came preinstalled
    > and preconfigured on hardware that it is known to work with. This is sort
    > of ironic, because that is the main way Windows became successful.

    Have you looked at Dell's website recently?

    That said, I wouldn't buy one of their desktop boxes. They say "open source",
    then they go and put nVidia graphics hardware in them and don't give you any
    other option... and the "nv" driver isn't an option for me... (I know, remove
    that card and put in a Radeon X300 or something similar. But that's missing
    the point...)

    | + Output less CO2 => avoid boiling weather. TIME IS RUNNING OUT *FAST*.

    On a clear disk you can seek forever.

  3. Re: 2007 The greatest defeat in LinTard history.

    In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Toad

    wrote
    on Tue, 20 Nov 2007 01:54:33 GMT
    :
    > HangEveryRepubliKKKan wrote:
    >
    >> "Hadron" wrote
    >> > Actually, no it hasn't. Ubuntu was build on Debian which has been
    >> > around for 11 years.

    >> I tried to install debian last summer.
    >>
    >> Didn't support my sound card
    >> Didn't support my network card
    >> Ran my HD in comatibility mode
    >> No hardware accelerated video
    >>
    >> Didn't provide me with a mouse pointer.
    >>
    >> On about the 20'th reboot it had a kernel panic and failed to run at
    >> that point
    >>
    >> It was then ERASED FROM EXISTANCE.
    >>
    >> 11 years old ay? Impressive.
    >>
    >> Impressive something so worthless could survive that long.

    > With Linsux, hardware is a real crap shoot.

    [rest snipped]

    Credibility exhausted.

    #191, ewill3@earthlink.net
    Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #2239120:
    void f(char *p) {char *q = p; strcpy(p,q); }