TCP/IP Newbie help - BSD

This is a discussion on TCP/IP Newbie help - BSD ; Hi Guys, I am suffering an issue with international traffic speeds at the moment, where I can rarely get any speeds above 60 kilobytes per second from any overseas host. Local data here in Australia comes down at the full ...

  1. TCP/IP Newbie help

    Hi Guys,

    I am suffering an issue with international traffic speeds at the moment,
    where I can rarely get any speeds above 60 kilobytes per second from any
    overseas host.

    Local data here in Australia comes down at the full 10Mbit that my cable
    connection allows.

    In an email from them, they said this:

    "Something to check out if you wish, is the TCP Receive Window that you
    have set. If it is too low, it will reduce speeds to high latency
    connections."

    Not being an expert in TCP/IP, I have no idea what these should be set
    to. They are just set at the defaults for OpenBSD.

    [root@nas ~]# sysctl -a |grep tcp

    net.inet.tcp.rfc1323=1
    net.inet.tcp.keepinittime=150
    net.inet.tcp.keepidle=14400
    net.inet.tcp.keepintvl=150
    net.inet.tcp.slowhz=2
    net.inet.tcp.baddynamic=587,749,750,751,871
    net.inet.tcp.recvspace=16384
    net.inet.tcp.sendspace=16384
    net.inet.tcp.sack=1
    net.inet.tcp.mssdflt=512
    net.inet.tcp.rstppslimit=100
    net.inet.tcp.ackonpush=0
    net.inet.tcp.ecn=0
    net.inet.tcp.syncachelimit=10255
    net.inet.tcp.synbucketlimit=105
    net.inet.tcp.rfc3390=1
    net.inet.tcp.reasslimit=3072
    net.inet.tcp.sackholelimit=32768

    Do they look ok? I'm not too worried if its not "bleeding edge"
    optimization.

    Any advice (besides to RTFM for TCP/IP would be appreciated).

    Thanks!
    Alex

  2. Re: TCP/IP Newbie help

    alex wrote:
    > In an email from them, they said this:
    >
    > "Something to check out if you wish, is the TCP Receive Window that you
    > have set. If it is too low, it will reduce speeds to high latency
    > connections."

    Oh I should say that "they", are my ISP. lol. I just re-read it and saw
    the ambiguity.

  3. Re: TCP/IP Newbie help

    Or even a guide to tuning TCP under OpenBSD. I have looked at some via
    using google, but they are For Other BSD's and mention sysctl variables
    that dont appear to be valid in OpenBSD.

    As a starter I have changed a few things:

    [alex@nas ~]$ sysctl -a |grep space
    net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65535
    net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65535
    net.inet.udp.recvspace=65535
    net.inet.udp.sendspace=65535

    I am seeing some improvement, but am going to monitor for at least 24
    hours before jumping the gun and concluding that this has resolved my
    issues.

    Thanks!

    PS: Sorry for the multiple posts rambling

  4. Re: TCP/IP Newbie help

    alex wrote:
    > Or even a guide to tuning TCP under OpenBSD. I have looked at some via
    > using google, but they are For Other BSD's and mention sysctl variables
    > that dont appear to be valid in OpenBSD.
    >
    > As a starter I have changed a few things:
    >
    > [alex@nas ~]$ sysctl -a |grep space
    > net.inet.tcp.recvspace=65535
    > net.inet.tcp.sendspace=65535
    > net.inet.udp.recvspace=65535
    > net.inet.udp.sendspace=65535
    >
    > I am seeing some improvement, but am going to monitor for at least 24
    > hours before jumping the gun and concluding that this has resolved my
    > issues.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > PS: Sorry for the multiple posts rambling

    looks like i am on my own with this one :/

+ Reply to Thread