Can Samba mount a DFS share, using \\DOMAIN\dfs, rather than\\COMPUTER\dfs? - BSD

This is a discussion on Can Samba mount a DFS share, using \\DOMAIN\dfs, rather than\\COMPUTER\dfs? - BSD ; FreeBSD 6.2 + Samba 3.0.26a Can Samba mount a DFS share, using \\DOMAIN\dfs, rather than \\COMPUTER \dfs? The following command successfully lists all the shares on a domain controller, the same as \\DOMAIN does on Windows. One of the shares ...

  1. Can Samba mount a DFS share, using \\DOMAIN\dfs, rather than\\COMPUTER\dfs?

    FreeBSD 6.2 + Samba 3.0.26a

    Can Samba mount a DFS share, using \\DOMAIN\dfs, rather than \\COMPUTER
    \dfs?

    The following command successfully lists all the shares on a domain
    controller, the same as \\DOMAIN does on Windows. One of the shares
    returned is "dfs" which is the root of my dfs tree:

    smbclient -U administrator -L domain.example.com | grep Disk

    So, I tried to mount "dfs" using the various commands below (errors
    are in ""), none of which work. Is this impossible, or am I missing
    something?

    Kind regards,
    Steve
    --

    mount_smbfs -I domaincontroller.example.com //
    administrator@example.com/dfs /mnt

    "server name 'example.com' too long"

    mount_smbfs -I domaincontroller.example.com //administrator@domain/
    dfs /mnt

    "mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Connection reset by
    peer"

    mount //administrator@domain/dfs /mnt

    "mount: //administrator@domain/dfs: No such file or directory"

    mount_smbfs //administrator@domain/dfs /mnt

    "mount_smbfs: can't get server address: syserr = Operation timed out"

  2. Re: Can Samba mount a DFS share, using \\DOMAIN\dfs, rather than \\COMPUTER\dfs?

    Begin
    On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 03:14:53 -0800 (PST), Steve wrote:
    > Can Samba mount a DFS share, using \\DOMAIN\dfs, rather than \\COMPUTER
    > \dfs?

    Apparently.

    [snip]
    > So, I tried to mount "dfs" using the various commands below (errors
    > are in ""), none of which work. Is this impossible, or am I missing
    > something?

    mount_smbfs is FreeBSD's client-only implementation from base, and as
    such not part of samba. So, you'll have to figure out how to invoke
    samba to mount it instead. I don't have a samba installation here so I
    can't provide more detail, sorry.