[ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released - BSD

This is a discussion on [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released - BSD ; Hello, A new port devel/cvs-devel (Concurrent Versions System) based on latest upstream version and some patches included from Debian, is released for testing. Hope, it would be useful for all those cvs users who want to port their existing cvs ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

  1. [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    Hello,

    A new port devel/cvs-devel (Concurrent Versions System) based on latest
    upstream version and some patches included from Debian, is released for
    testing.

    Hope, it would be useful for all those cvs users who want to port their
    existing cvs repositories from Linux to FreeBSD machines.

    Summary: http://cto.homelinux.net/ports#cvs-devel
    Description: http://cto.homelinux.net/ports?port=cvs-devel
    Download: http://cto.homelinux.net/pub/FreeBSD...-devel.shar.gz
    HOWTO: http://cto.homelinux.net/usr/ports/e...shar-HOWTO.txt

    To install:

    # cd /usr/ports/devel/cvs-devel
    # make install clean

    Any feedback and, or bug-reports of yours shall highly be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Many Cheers!
    --
    Dr Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP
    Home: http://cto.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/

  2. Re: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    Begin
    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:44:40 +0530,
    Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    > A new port devel/cvs-devel (Concurrent Versions System) based on latest
    > upstream version and some patches included from Debian, is released for
    > testing.

    [snip!]

    Why do you post that here instead of submitting it to the ports
    collection so it shows up in the usual infrastructure? That is what it
    is there for--and it includes review and feedback channels. There is
    even concise documentation on how to use it available.


    --
    j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

  3. Re: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    On 11/14/2007 03:37, jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:44:40 +0530,
    > Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    >> A new port devel/cvs-devel (Concurrent Versions System) based on latest
    >> upstream version and some patches included from Debian, is released for
    >> testing.

    > [snip!]
    >
    > Why do you post that here instead of submitting it to the ports
    > collection so it shows up in the usual infrastructure? That is what it
    > is there for--and it includes review and feedback channels. There is
    > even concise documentation on how to use it available.


    Hmm, only in a false hope to get some feedback, before I submit any new
    ports and, or updates to existing ones

    OTOH, some of my PR's are still awaiting for a commit See
    http://cto.homelinux.net/ports#qtstalker-devel and
    http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=114813

    BTW, is there any harm in announcing such a development publicly over
    usenet?

    --
    Dr Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP
    Home: http://cto.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/

  4. Re: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    Begin
    On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 05:05:09 +0530,
    Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    > On 11/14/2007 03:37, jpd wrote:
    >> Begin
    >> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:44:40 +0530,
    >> Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    >>> A new port devel/cvs-devel (Concurrent Versions System) based on latest
    >>> upstream version and some patches included from Debian, is released for
    >>> testing.

    >> [snip!]
    >>
    >> Why do you post that here instead of submitting it to the ports
    >> collection so it shows up in the usual infrastructure? That is what it
    >> is there for--and it includes review and feedback channels. There is
    >> even concise documentation on how to use it available.

    >
    > Hmm, only in a false hope to get some feedback, before I submit any new
    > ports and, or updates to existing ones


    If you already know your hopes are false, is it then you are doing it
    for the vanity value?


    > OTOH, some of my PR's are still awaiting for a commit See
    > http://cto.homelinux.net/ports#qtstalker-devel and
    > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=114813


    Might be a better idea to talk on the relevant mailinglists about
    that, and so forth. If you're interested. But I already mentioned
    the process is documented -- it even has its own handbook.


    > BTW, is there any harm in announcing such a development publicly over
    > usenet?


    Harm depends on how you define that term. There are definately worse
    problems with usenet, the internet, et cetera. There are plenty of
    people or entities that regularly post announcements, and plenty of
    them get killfiled too. Show of hands, who reads those ``NYC local''
    crossposts? (Who just thought ``what? haven't seen those in years!''?)

    Instead of asking yourself what the harm is or why *you* would want
    to announce it, you could take the radical step of stopping seeking
    specialness for yourself and instead ask what the benefit is, in other
    words, ask who would want to read it. I could, if you prefer, go into
    further detail, but if not I'll leave the implications as an excercise.


    --
    j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

  5. Re: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    On 11/14/2007 21:47, jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 05:05:09 +0530,
    > Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    >> On 11/14/2007 03:37, jpd wrote:
    >>> Begin
    >>> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:44:40 +0530,
    >>> Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    >>>> A new port devel/cvs-devel (Concurrent Versions System) based on latest
    >>>> upstream version and some patches included from Debian, is released for
    >>>> testing.
    >>> [snip!]
    >>>
    >>> Why do you post that here instead of submitting it to the ports
    >>> collection so it shows up in the usual infrastructure? That is what it
    >>> is there for--and it includes review and feedback channels. There is
    >>> even concise documentation on how to use it available.

    >> Hmm, only in a false hope to get some feedback, before I submit any new
    >> ports and, or updates to existing ones

    >
    > If you already know your hopes are false, is it then you are doing it
    > for the vanity value?
    >
    >
    >> OTOH, some of my PR's are still awaiting for a commit See
    >> http://cto.homelinux.net/ports#qtstalker-devel and
    >> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=114813

    >
    > Might be a better idea to talk on the relevant mailinglists about
    > that, and so forth. If you're interested. But I already mentioned
    > the process is documented -- it even has its own handbook.
    >
    >
    >> BTW, is there any harm in announcing such a development publicly over
    >> usenet?

    >
    > Harm depends on how you define that term. There are definately worse
    > problems with usenet, the internet, et cetera. There are plenty of
    > people or entities that regularly post announcements, and plenty of
    > them get killfiled too. Show of hands, who reads those ``NYC local''
    > crossposts? (Who just thought ``what? haven't seen those in years!''?)
    >
    > Instead of asking yourself what the harm is or why *you* would want
    > to announce it, you could take the radical step of stopping seeking
    > specialness for yourself and instead ask what the benefit is, in other
    > words, ask who would want to read it. I could, if you prefer, go into
    > further detail, but if not I'll leave the implications as an excercise.


    Why don't you take that radical step of stopping seeking specialness for
    yourself?

    Please learn to read your posts and, or replies carefully before yot
    post them.

    --
    Dr Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP
    Home: http://cto.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/

  6. Re: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    Begin
    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 03:00:29 +0530,
    Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    [snip!]
    > Why don't you take that radical step of stopping seeking specialness for
    > yourself?


    I don't need to. I didn't use to announce myself as ``CTO (Chief
    Technical Officer)'', and I don't have a vanity host saying the same
    from dyndns. I don't claim to be a doctor (medical or otherwise),
    I don't list all the operating systems I'm using or ``registered
    something'' numbers I got from some site. I don't post in *BSD groups
    because of my initials when I clearly like linux better, and I don't
    wish linux was called BSD because of it.

    Of course, these are all just symptoms, and now that you know about
    them, well, one could speculate that maybe you are doctor enough.
    As I said, the key is to ask who would want to read it.


    > Please learn to read your posts and, or replies carefully before yot
    > post them.


    Ah, returning the perceived favour, I see. Should I remind you that it
    was you that clearly preferred automatically generated content over
    human contributions in this very group, and had trouble with the concept
    of other people preferring otherwise? At any rate. Thank you for the
    grand gesture, it is much appreciated.


    --
    j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

  7. Re: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    On 11/15/2007 13:39, jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 03:00:29 +0530,
    > Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    > [snip!]
    >> Why don't you take that radical step of stopping seeking specialness for
    >> yourself?

    >
    > I don't need to. I didn't use to announce myself as ``CTO (Chief
    > Technical Officer)'', and I don't have a vanity host saying the same
    > from dyndns. I don't claim to be a doctor (medical or otherwise),
    > I don't list all the operating systems I'm using or ``registered
    > something'' numbers I got from some site. I don't post in *BSD groups
    > because of my initials when I clearly like linux better, and I don't
    > wish linux was called BSD because of it.


    The anonymous cowards like you need to not do it; they don't have an
    identity to be exposed enough and, or be proud of.

    > Of course, these are all just symptoms, and now that you know about
    > them, well, one could speculate that maybe you are doctor enough.
    > As I said, the key is to ask who would want to read it.


    You have the prerogative not to read any of these, don't be jealous; I'm
    blessed with some of these and am aggressive enough to achieve a few
    more also.

    >> Please learn to read your posts and, or replies carefully before yot
    >> post them.

    >
    > Ah, returning the perceived favour, I see. Should I remind you that it
    > was you that clearly preferred automatically generated content over
    > human contributions in this very group, and had trouble with the concept
    > of other people preferring otherwise? At any rate. Thank you for the
    > grand gesture, it is much appreciated.


    IIRC, that your are talking about those weekly news stat reports for
    this and a few other newsgroups. I think, it was only you who opposed it
    needlessly; whereas, I only wanted to post these as fun service and
    stopped the same on learning that the google and some other web services
    were/are already making available similar kind of information.

    --
    Dr Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP
    Home: http://cto.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/

  8. Re: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    Begin
    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:55:15 +0530,
    Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    [snip!]
    > The anonymous cowards like you need to not do it; they don't have an
    > identity to be exposed enough and, or be proud of.


    I don't think I agree with you here. It does bring up an interesting
    question: Just what is identity? For all intents and purposes, my email
    address is the identifier I use on usenet. As opposed to people who
    morph or use anonymous remailers or -posters.

    I chose to separate my legal name from my usenet identity. What you
    think of that is up to you, but it is not quite the same as anonymity.

    Since you chose something else, can you point me to your dissertation
    that got you the title you, as you say proudly, made part of your
    identity?


    [snip]
    > I'm blessed with some of these and am aggressive enough to achieve a
    > few more also.


    So what are you CTO of? CTOs usually don't object to explaining their
    achievements or what organisation they helped bring to greatness.


    [snip]
    > IIRC, that your are talking about those weekly news stat reports for
    > this and a few other newsgroups. I think, it was only you who opposed it
    > needlessly; whereas, I only wanted to post these as fun service and
    > stopped the same on learning that the google and some other web services
    > were/are already making available similar kind of information.


    Needlessly? Oh, perhaps. Then again, as I already explained then: Did
    you ask anybody if they wanted to read them before starting to post
    them? Did you converse with people here before? I didn't recall much of
    that, meaning that the first sign everybody else saw from you wasn't by
    you but generated by a script written by someone else.

    I note that you now say you only stopped not because of feedback from
    the group (whom you supposedly provided that *cough* ``fun service''
    for), but because of external reasons. I'm led to conclude you really
    don't like people talking back to you, for any reason. I'd welcome you
    succeeding in proving me wrong, should you choose to try.


    --
    j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

  9. Re: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    Begin
    On 15 Nov 2007 11:04:38 -0500,
    Matthew X. Economou wrote:
    >>>>>> "jpd" == jpd writes:

    >
    > jpd> Why do you post that here instead of submitting it to the
    > jpd> ports collection so it shows up in the usual infrastructure?
    >
    > Speaking just for myself, I don't see how this announcement is off
    > topic for this newsgroup


    It isn't, per se. The trouble isn't so much the posting, and the original
    question was indeed as I ment it: I didn't see it showing up either as
    a port or in the PR database.

    Truth be told, the ``what's the harm'' counter caused me to analyse the
    situation rather more thoroughly and then a false note slipped in, which
    turned out to drown out the other comments. I do stand by my criticism
    of the motivation of the OP, though. It apparently has not changed a bit
    from the previous episode.


    > (see also the original charter, archived at
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....034ead444e550e).


    I recall the charter coming up in discussion previously and I couldn't
    find it back then, so this is useful. Thank you.


    > The c.u.b.f.announce newsgroup is reserved for major software
    > announcements, and the original post doesn't really qualify.


    I don't think it is used very much. I was going to say ``at all'' but
    of course a few days ago it had a legitimate announcement, only three
    and a half or so years since the last one. I notice I don't even have it
    in my subscribed list anymore. One could try and re-purpose it for any
    announcements, or summaries of changed ports, or what-have-you, to make
    it useful again.


    --
    j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

  10. Re: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    On 11/15/2007 21:50, jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 19:55:15 +0530,
    > Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    > [snip!]
    >> The anonymous cowards like you need to not do it; they don't have an
    >> identity to be exposed enough and, or be proud of.

    >
    > I don't think I agree with you here. It does bring up an interesting
    > question: Just what is identity? For all intents and purposes, my email
    > address is the identifier I use on usenet. As opposed to people who
    > morph or use anonymous remailers or -posters.
    >
    > I chose to separate my legal name from my usenet identity. What you
    > think of that is up to you, but it is not quite the same as anonymity.
    >
    > Since you chose something else, can you point me to your dissertation
    > that got you the title you, as you say proudly, made part of your
    > identity?


    But, why? And who the hell are you to ask?

    > [snip]
    >> I'm blessed with some of these and am aggressive enough to achieve a
    >> few more also.

    >
    > So what are you CTO of? CTOs usually don't object to explaining their
    > achievements or what organisation they helped bring to greatness.
    >
    >
    > [snip]
    >> IIRC, that your are talking about those weekly news stat reports for
    >> this and a few other newsgroups. I think, it was only you who opposed it
    >> needlessly; whereas, I only wanted to post these as fun service and
    >> stopped the same on learning that the google and some other web services
    >> were/are already making available similar kind of information.

    >
    > Needlessly? Oh, perhaps. Then again, as I already explained then: Did
    > you ask anybody if they wanted to read them before starting to post
    > them? Did you converse with people here before? I didn't recall much of
    > that, meaning that the first sign everybody else saw from you wasn't by
    > you but generated by a script written by someone else.


    See this http://rubyforge.org/projects/newsstats/, and figure out who
    wrote it?

    > I note that you now say you only stopped not because of feedback from
    > the group (whom you supposedly provided that *cough* ``fun service''
    > for), but because of external reasons. I'm led to conclude you really
    > don't like people talking back to you, for any reason. I'd welcome you
    > succeeding in proving me wrong, should you choose to try.


    Anyway, I don't want to prove you and, or your rant wrong.

    If you have time to waste, please ... please waste it somewhere else.

    I doubt, you are a paid troll ... *PLONK*

    --
    Dr Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP
    Home: http://cto.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/

  11. Re: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    On 11/15/2007 22:07, jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On 15 Nov 2007 11:04:38 -0500,
    > Matthew X. Economou wrote:
    >>>>>>> "jpd" == jpd writes:

    >> jpd> Why do you post that here instead of submitting it to the
    >> jpd> ports collection so it shows up in the usual infrastructure?
    >>
    >> Speaking just for myself, I don't see how this announcement is off
    >> topic for this newsgroup

    >
    > It isn't, per se. The trouble isn't so much the posting, and the original
    > question was indeed as I ment it: I didn't see it showing up either as
    > a port or in the PR database.


    Are you ok? See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=118033, now
    don't say that *you* motivated me to submit that PR and, or other such
    updates.

    I also maintain/tweak a few more ports (http://cto.homelinux.net/ports),
    but I need not submit PR's for all these until I'm sure that the change
    is/can be useful for others FreeBSD users.

    > Truth be told, the ``what's the harm'' counter caused me to analyse the


    [snip]

    --
    Dr Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP
    Home: http://cto.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/

  12. Re: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    Begin
    On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:15:45 +0530,
    Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    > On 11/15/2007 22:07, jpd wrote:
    >> Begin
    >> On 15 Nov 2007 11:04:38 -0500,
    >> Matthew X. Economou wrote:
    >>>>>>>> "jpd" == jpd writes:
    >>> jpd> Why do you post that here instead of submitting it to the
    >>> jpd> ports collection so it shows up in the usual infrastructure?
    >>>
    >>> Speaking just for myself, I don't see how this announcement is off
    >>> topic for this newsgroup

    >>
    >> It isn't, per se. The trouble isn't so much the posting, and the original
    >> question was indeed as I ment it: I didn't see it showing up either as
    >> a port or in the PR database.

    >
    > Are you ok? See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=118033, now
    > don't say that *you* motivated me to submit that PR and, or other such
    > updates.


    Well, since the gentleman plonked me for asking him what he's CTO of and
    where he got his Doctor's title, he won't see this. But, it's still a
    curious question.

    His original announcement shows up with

    Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 01:44:40 +0530

    and my followup...

    Date: 13 Nov 2007 22:07:50 GMT

    with that PR dated

    Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 07:28:42 GMT
    Arrival-Date: Wed Nov 14 07:30:00 UTC 2007

    On inspection, this box that I sent that followup from runs 30 seconds
    in the future as I haven't bothered to setup NTP on it yet. As far as 30
    seconds off is still OK, yes, I think I am. Thanks for asking.

    I wasn't about to claim anything but what I did: that I didn't see a PR
    when I looked for it, and so I asked about it. Now I'm left in terrible
    uncertainty.


    --
    j p d (at) d s b (dot) t u d e l f t (dot) n l .
    This message was originally posted on Usenet in plain text.
    Any other representation, additions, or changes do not have my
    consent and may be a violation of international copyright law.

  13. Re: [ANN][new port] devel/cvs-devel 1.12.13_8 is released

    On 11/16/2007 02:03, jpd wrote:
    > Begin
    > On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 23:15:45 +0530,
    > Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    >> On 11/15/2007 22:07, jpd wrote:
    >>> Begin
    >>> On 15 Nov 2007 11:04:38 -0500,
    >>> Matthew X. Economou wrote:
    >>>>>>>>> "jpd" == jpd writes:
    >>>> jpd> Why do you post that here instead of submitting it to the
    >>>> jpd> ports collection so it shows up in the usual infrastructure?
    >>>>
    >>>> Speaking just for myself, I don't see how this announcement is off
    >>>> topic for this newsgroup
    >>> It isn't, per se. The trouble isn't so much the posting, and the original
    >>> question was indeed as I ment it: I didn't see it showing up either as
    >>> a port or in the PR database.

    >> Are you ok? See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=118033, now
    >> don't say that *you* motivated me to submit that PR and, or other such
    >> updates.

    >
    > Well, since the gentleman plonked me for asking him what he's CTO of and
    > where he got his Doctor's title, he won't see this. But, it's still a
    > curious question.


    I need not answer such a silly questions, particularly to people like
    you who have nothing to do with my achievements and, or contributions.

    [snip]

    > I wasn't about to claim anything but what I did: that I didn't see a PR
    > when I looked for it, and so I asked about it. Now I'm left in terrible
    > uncertainty.


    FYI, It is not mandatory to file a PR before making an announcement, I
    think, a PR itself is also kind of an announcement, but only if one
    wants to share it with FreeBSD and, or any such project.

    --
    Dr Balwinder S "bsd" Dheeman Registered Linux User: #229709
    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP
    Home: http://cto.homelinux.net/~bsd/ Visit: http://counter.li.org/

+ Reply to Thread