Disk management - BSD

This is a discussion on Disk management - BSD ; A while ago, I speculated on what one ought to do if FreeBSD were removed from one point in the filesystem of a computer and restored in another. Yes, edit fstab. Here's what I did today: "I had a 120-GB ...

  1. Disk management

    A while ago, I speculated on what one ought to do if FreeBSD were
    removed from one point in the filesystem of a computer and restored in
    another. Yes, edit fstab. Here's what I did today:

    "I had a 120-GB boot drive with Vista and a 250-GB slave drive with a
    30-GB FreeBSD installation in the middle of it, and no other useful
    data. I wished to have Vista on the 250-GB drive and the FreeBSD
    installation in the root of the 120-GB drive, allowing the rest of it
    to be used for something else.

    ************************************
    First things first: the mount points in FreeBSD's fstab have to be
    changed to reflect the new location. For example, /dev/ad1s3a will
    become /dev/ad1s1a. Now shut it down.

    ************************************

    I have TrueImage installed in Vista. This was used to copy the FreeBSD
    partition to an external USB drive, sector by sector. Then, using the
    TI boot disk, the master drive was cloned to the 250-GB slave. Turn
    off the power. Switch the drives. Boot with Gparted CD and erase the
    120-GB disk. Boot into Vista, and using TI copy the FreeBSD partition
    to the root of the 120-GB disk. (I now use System Commander as the
    boot manager, and it automatically handles all changes in operating
    systems.)"

    I may use the rest of the 120-GB disk for a new FreeBSD installation.
    If so, there will be two little devils in System Commander.

  2. Re: Disk management

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 16:57:21 -0800, tim1948
    wrote:

    >A while ago, I speculated on what one ought to do if FreeBSD were
    >removed from one point in the filesystem of a computer and restored in
    >another. Yes, edit fstab. Here's what I did today:
    >
    >"I had a 120-GB boot drive with Vista and a 250-GB slave drive with a
    >30-GB FreeBSD installation in the middle of it, and no other useful
    >data. I wished to have Vista on the 250-GB drive and the FreeBSD
    >installation in the root of the 120-GB drive, allowing the rest of it
    >to be used for something else.
    >
    >************************************
    >First things first: the mount points in FreeBSD's fstab have to be
    >changed to reflect the new location. For example, /dev/ad1s3a will
    >become /dev/ad1s1a. Now shut it down.
    >
    >************************************
    >
    >I have TrueImage installed in Vista. This was used to copy the FreeBSD
    >partition to an external USB drive, sector by sector. Then, using the
    >TI boot disk, the master drive was cloned to the 250-GB slave. Turn
    >off the power. Switch the drives. Boot with Gparted CD and erase the
    >120-GB disk. Boot into Vista, and using TI copy the FreeBSD partition
    >to the root of the 120-GB disk. (I now use System Commander as the
    >boot manager, and it automatically handles all changes in operating
    >systems.)"

    Now, tell us how to do it without having Vista.

    The problem with having two operating systems on the same machine is
    that you need two operating systems to accomplish what others do using
    only one.

    >I may use the rest of the 120-GB disk for a new FreeBSD installation.
    >If so, there will be two little devils in System Commander.

+ Reply to Thread