OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot - BSD ; Hi all! I have some questions regarding dualbooting OpenBSD and Vista. Which OS should I install first? I read (an old document) that the OpenBSD root partition must be contained within the first 8 GB of the drive, is that ...

  1. OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot

    Hi all!

    I have some questions regarding dualbooting OpenBSD and Vista.

    Which OS should I install first?

    I read (an old document) that the OpenBSD root partition must be
    contained within the first 8 GB of the drive, is that still so?

    If I install Vista first, will an OpenBSD install overwrite the Vista
    boot sector? Or will OpenBSD just alter within the MBR table and not
    touch the boot sector that Vista uses?

    I plan to boot with a OpenBSD boot CD and type "boot hd0a:/bsd" or by
    marking the partition i want to boot next as active in fdisk.

    I'd be glad for some input

    Thanks!

    Regards
    Jesper

  2. Re: OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 03:11:43 -0800, Jeppe wrote:

    > Hi all!
    >
    > I have some questions regarding dualbooting OpenBSD and Vista.

    > I'd be glad for some input

    !!?! could there be a more Zen-like combination of OSes?

  3. Re: OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 07:40:17 -0500, mr.b wrote:

    > On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 03:11:43 -0800, Jeppe wrote:
    >
    >> Hi all!
    >>
    >> I have some questions regarding dualbooting OpenBSD and Vista.

    >> I'd be glad for some input

    > !!?! could there be a more Zen-like combination of OSes?

    The best solution would be to install Vista first, use it until one can't
    bear it anymore**, then install OpenBSD. Remember to say "yes" to "use
    entire disk?"

    ** Shouldn't take more than a few minutes....

  4. Re: OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 15:07:04 +0100, Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:

    > Mark South writes:
    >
    >> ** Shouldn't take more than a few minutes....

    > IME, MSVista takes longer to boot than it takes to install OpenBSD.

    I have no way of knowing how long Vista takes to boot, and I plan never to
    have to find out :-)

  5. Re: OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot

    On Nov 8, 3:11 am, Jeppe wrote:
    > Which OS should I install first?

    usually works better with windows first.

    > I read (an old document) that the OpenBSD root partition must be
    > contained within the first 8 GB of the drive, is that still so?

    this is not true anymore.

    > If I install Vista first, will an OpenBSD install overwrite the Vista
    > boot sector? Or will OpenBSD just alter within the MBR table and not
    > touch the boot sector that Vista uses?

    if you don't say to use all the disk, openbsd will leave the boot
    sector alone. you can use the windows bootloader to multiboot openbsd
    in most cases.

  6. Re: OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot

    Install Vista on first partition.

    Install OpenBSD on second partition.
    Do you want to use *all* of wd0 for OpenBSD? [no]

    # fdisk: 1> p (print MBR partition tables)
    # fdisk: 1> e 1 (edit partition 1, OpenBDS) (partition 0 is Vista)
    # Partition id [0 - FF]: [F] (? for help) A6 (A6 = OpenBSD
    partition)
    # Do you wish to edit in CHS mode? [n] y (CHS mode)
    # BIOS Starting cylinder [0 - 19928]: [892] (!!!!!!! 892 is
    ~7GB !!!! try not to overwrite Vista partition)
    # BIOS Starting head [0 - 255]: [0]
    # BIOS Starting sector [1 - 63]: [1]
    # BIOS Ending cylinder [0 - 19928]: [19927] 6000 (40GB)
    # BIOS Ending head [0 - 255]: [254]
    # BIOS Ending sector [1 - 63]: [63]
    # fdisk:*1> p (print new MBR partition table)
    # fdisk:*1> flag 1 (active OpenBSD partition 1)
    # fdisk:*1> p (print new MBR partition table)
    # fdisk:*1> quit (exit fdisk and write changes)

    Then use disklabel to create OBSD partitions (commands, p m, a a, a b,
    q, ...)

    Install GAG OS loader: http://www.rastersoft.com/gageng.htm

    : Unzip gag
    : insert empty diskette
    : run install.bat
    : reboot PC and boot from diskette
    : follow GAG instructions
    : add Vista and OpenBSD
    : set 5 seconds to boot default OS
    : save settings to disk
    : remove diskette and reboot...

    Regards,
    TomazZ

    On 8 nov., 12:11, Jeppe wrote:
    > Hi all!
    >
    > I have some questions regarding dualbooting OpenBSD and Vista.
    >
    > Which OS should I install first?
    >
    > I read (an old document) that the OpenBSD root partition must be
    > contained within the first 8 GB of the drive, is that still so?
    >
    > If I install Vista first, will an OpenBSD install overwrite the Vista
    > boot sector? Or will OpenBSD just alter within the MBR table and not
    > touch the boot sector that Vista uses?
    >
    > I plan to boot with a OpenBSD boot CD and type "boot hd0a:/bsd" or by
    > marking the partition i want to boot next as active in fdisk.
    >
    > I'd be glad for some input
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Regards
    > Jesper

  7. Re: OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot

    Użytkownik "Mark South" napisał w wiadomości

    > I have no way of knowing how long Vista takes to boot, and I plan never to
    > have to find out :-)

    Please stop dragging this stupid linuxesque attitude in here.

  8. Re: OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot

    On 11/08/07 4:25 PM, Michał Kurowski wrote:

    > Please stop dragging this stupid linuxesque attitude in here.

    What's linuxesque about it? Perhaps he doesn't have any i386 or amd64
    hardware...

    On the other hand, I have no way of knowing how long OpenBSD takes to
    boot, since I rarely need to reboot systems running it. :-)

    --
    Chris Odorjan - codorjan@gmail.com - http://www.execulink.com/~bobnet/

  9. Re: OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot

    On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 22:25:32 +0100, Michał Kurowski wrote:

    > Użytkownik "Mark South" napisał w wiadomości
    >>
    >> I have no way of knowing how long Vista takes to boot, and I plan never to
    >> have to find out :-)

    > Please stop dragging this stupid linuxesque attitude in here.

    Between my statement and yours is a logical gap which dwarfs the grand
    canyon.

  10. Re: OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot

    Użytkownik "Chris Odorjan" napisał w wiadomości

    > What's linuxesque about it? Perhaps he doesn't have any i386 or amd64
    > hardware...

    OK. That's a good reason ;-)

  11. Re: OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot

    On Nov 8, 8:46 pm, tedu wrote:
    > On Nov 8, 3:11 am, Jeppe wrote:
    >
    > > Which OS should I install first?

    > usually works better with windows first.
    >
    > > I read (an old document) that the OpenBSD root partition must be
    > > contained within the first 8 GB of the drive, is that still so?

    > this is not true anymore.
    >
    > > If I install Vista first, will an OpenBSD install overwrite the Vista
    > > boot sector? Or will OpenBSD just alter within the MBR table and not
    > > touch the boot sector that Vista uses?

    > if you don't say to use all the disk, openbsd will leave the boot
    > sector alone. you can use the windows bootloader to multiboot openbsd
    > in most cases.

    Thanks, I got them up and running. After the install, looking at the
    partition table in OpenBSD's fdisk, I didn't recognize it as I set it
    up during the install. The CHS numbers for example.

    /Jeppe

  12. Re: OpenBSD and Vista Dual Boot

    Thanks for your help!

+ Reply to Thread