FreeBSD loader won't boot any other OS - BSD

This is a discussion on FreeBSD loader won't boot any other OS - BSD ; I have both Linux and FreeBSD installed on a machine, so when I first boot up, I see the following screen: F1 Linux F3 FreeBSD Default: F1 Even when I press F1, it is always FreeBSD that boots rather than ...

  1. FreeBSD loader won't boot any other OS

    I have both Linux and FreeBSD installed on a machine, so when I first
    boot up, I see the following screen:

    F1 Linux
    F3 FreeBSD
    Default: F1

    Even when I press F1, it is always FreeBSD that boots rather than
    Linux. I've also tried pressing F1 and simply waiting without
    pressing Enter, but it's still FreeBSD that boots.

    Does anyone know how I can get Linux to boot rather than FreeBSD?

  2. Re: FreeBSD loader won't boot any other OS

  3. Re: FreeBSD loader won't boot any other OS

    Jimmy Miller writes:

    > I have both Linux and FreeBSD installed on a machine, so when I first
    > boot up, I see the following screen:
    >
    > F1 Linux
    > F3 FreeBSD
    > Default: F1
    >
    > Even when I press F1, it is always FreeBSD that boots rather than
    > Linux. I've also tried pressing F1 and simply waiting without
    > pressing Enter, but it's still FreeBSD that boots.
    >
    > Does anyone know how I can get Linux to boot rather than FreeBSD?

    I haven't seen anything like this.

    Perhaps you need to set the mask field?
    It's the -m option for boot0cfg(8).

  4. Re: FreeBSD loader won't boot any other OS

  5. Re: FreeBSD loader won't boot any other OS

    On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 14:54:33 UTC, Lowell Gilbert
    wrote:

    > Jimmy Miller writes:
    >
    > > I have both Linux and FreeBSD installed on a machine, so when I first
    > > boot up, I see the following screen:
    > >
    > > F1 Linux
    > > F3 FreeBSD
    > > Default: F1
    > >
    > > Even when I press F1, it is always FreeBSD that boots rather than
    > > Linux. I've also tried pressing F1 and simply waiting without
    > > pressing Enter, but it's still FreeBSD that boots.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know how I can get Linux to boot rather than FreeBSD?

    > I haven't seen anything like this.
    >
    > Perhaps you need to set the mask field?
    > It's the -m option for boot0cfg(8).

    No...the mask field merely controls the display. It's clearly set to 7.

    I wonder if there's a geometry mismatch.
    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  6. Re: FreeBSD loader won't boot any other OS

    On Nov 5, 1:07 pm, wahj...@gmail.com (Ashish Shukla ) wrote:

    > ,--- Jimmy Miller writes:
    >
    > | I have both Linux and FreeBSD installed on a machine, so when I first
    > | boot up, I see the following screen:
    >
    > | F1 Linux
    > | F3 FreeBSD
    > | Default: F1
    >
    > | Even when I press F1, it is always FreeBSD that boots rather than
    > | Linux. I've also tried pressing F1 and simply waiting without
    > | pressing Enter, but it's still FreeBSD that boots.
    >
    > | Does anyone know how I can get Linux to boot rather than FreeBSD?
    >
    > Use GRUB. Somehow, boot into your Linux installation and reinstall
    > GRUB. Modify your GRUB's configuration file( /boot/grub/grub.conf ).
    > Following is my 'grub.conf' .
    >
    > - ----8<----8<-----
    > default=0
    > timeout=5
    > splashimage=(hd0,2)/grub/gnubg.xpm.gz
    > hiddenmenu
    > title Fedora (2.6.23.1-10.fc7)
    > root (hd0,2)
    > kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.23.1-10.fc7 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
    > initrd /initrd-2.6.23.1-10.fc7.img
    > title FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5
    > root (hd0,0,a)
    > kernel /boot/loader

    This is good advice. "Somehow" booting into Linux very likely means
    booting the Knoppix CD. Besides doing the above, you'll have to do
    something like this:
    >grub
    >root (hd0,2)
    >setup(hd0)
    >quit

    If you have deep pockets, System Commander seems like the best boot
    manager available, and it recognizes FreeBSD ($69). I don't really
    have deep pockets, but I went for it on impulse. Apparently you must
    have a Windows installation for it to work properly, though.

+ Reply to Thread