Port Collection Corrupted - BSD

This is a discussion on Port Collection Corrupted - BSD ; I have a well running FreeBSD-6.2-STABLE. I have been updating the ports collection every so often but the other night I encountered an error message. I don't remember what it was but it had something to do with malloc. Whatever ...

  1. Port Collection Corrupted

    I have a well running FreeBSD-6.2-STABLE. I have been updating the ports
    collection every so often but the other night I encountered an error
    message. I don't remember what it was but it had something to do with
    malloc. Whatever the case, I tried to update the ports collection since then
    but each time I keep hitting this error message:

    files/ed9cf4f74a1d9b5d6087dfbdd252ece9a15cd991e295aaee69 6059b5c718d8ff.gz
    not found -- snapshot corrupt.

    I would like to clean this up but the suggested method from someone who said
    to just erase the ports collection and do a new posrtnsap fetch extract
    command leaves me feeling that I will have an out of synch db file.

    Can anyone recommend what I should do with this. If I do erase everything,
    how can I rebuild the db so it knows of the ports I've already installed?

  2. Re: Port Collection Corrupted

  3. Re: Port Collection Corrupted

    On Sun, 4 Nov 2007 10:13:41 -0500, "Vladimir Tserijemiwtz" wrote:
    > I have a well running FreeBSD-6.2-STABLE. I have been updating
    > the ports collection every so often but the other night I
    > encountered an error message. I don't remember what it was but
    > it had something to do with malloc. Whatever the case, I tried
    > to update the ports collection since then but each time I keep
    > hitting this error message:
    >
    > files/ed9cf4f74a1d9b5d6087dfbdd252ece9a15cd991e295aaee69 6059b5c718d8ff.gz not found -- snapshot corrupt.

    This has happened to me a few times too, but simply re-running
    'portsnap' tends to fix it. It's probably a synchronization
    issue between the updates being pushed to the server itself, and
    the time you happened to pull a collection of files for your
    snapshot.

    > I would like to clean this up but the suggested method from
    > someone who said to just erase the ports collection and do a
    > new posrtnsap fetch extract command leaves me feeling that I
    > will have an out of synch db file.

    Removing the entire /usr/ports tree is probably overkill.

    > Can anyone recommend what I should do with this. If I do erase
    > everything, how can I rebuild the db so it knows of the ports
    > I've already installed?

    You can safely remove the entire /usr/ports tree and re-extract
    it from the portsnap snapshot you have fetched. The /usr/ports
    tree only contains the *source* of the Ports Collection. All the
    information about the Ports you have installed is kept elsewhere
    (i.e. in /var/db/ports and /var/db/pkg).

+ Reply to Thread