redirect console to serial port in ubuntu 7.0.4 - BSD

This is a discussion on redirect console to serial port in ubuntu 7.0.4 - BSD ; how do you redirect control of the computer in ubuntu 7.0.4 to the serial port? what are the commands to be used in text mode? also, i am guessing that you would need to be logged in as root? or ...

  1. redirect console to serial port in ubuntu 7.0.4

    how do you redirect control of the computer in ubuntu 7.0.4 to the
    serial port? what are the commands to be used in text mode?

    also, i am guessing that you would need to be logged in as root? or
    something along those lines. is there a generic password that gets
    set up in ubuntu or are you supposed to enter it yourself. it didnt
    ask me to set one up so i never would have set it up in the first
    place.

    any information is greatly appreciated

  2. Re: redirect console to serial port in ubuntu 7.0.4

    In article <1194038355.352391.303930@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.c om>,
    Jason wrote:
    >how do you redirect control of the computer in ubuntu 7.0.4 to the
    >serial port? what are the commands to be used in text mode?
    >
    >also, i am guessing that you would need to be logged in as root? or
    >something along those lines. is there a generic password that gets
    >set up in ubuntu or are you supposed to enter it yourself. it didnt
    >ask me to set one up so i never would have set it up in the first
    >place.
    >
    >any information is greatly appreciated

    $ sudo passwd root

    should do the job.

    carl

    --
    carl lowenstein marine physical lab, u.c. san diego
    clowenstein@ucsd.edu

  3. Re: redirect console to serial port in ubuntu 7.0.4

    On Fri, 02 Nov 2007 14:19:15 -0700, Jason
    wrote:

    >how do you redirect control of the computer in ubuntu 7.0.4 to the
    >serial port? what are the commands to be used in text mode?
    >
    >also, i am guessing that you would need to be logged in as root? or
    >something along those lines. is there a generic password that gets
    >set up in ubuntu or are you supposed to enter it yourself. it didnt
    >ask me to set one up so i never would have set it up in the first
    >place.
    >
    >any information is greatly appreciated

    FreeBSD is not Linux. You might want to ask somewhere at this URL:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

+ Reply to Thread