OpenBSD Tools for Upgrading Bios - BSD

This is a discussion on OpenBSD Tools for Upgrading Bios - BSD ; Does OpenBSD have any tools for upgrading the Bios (reflashing) or is it necessary to use Windows for that operation?...

  1. OpenBSD Tools for Upgrading Bios

    Does OpenBSD have any tools for upgrading the Bios (reflashing)
    or is it necessary to use Windows for that operation?

  2. Re: OpenBSD Tools for Upgrading Bios

    Peter N. M. Hansteen wrote:
    > Nutty OpenBSD user Dave writes:
    >
    >> Does OpenBSD have any tools for upgrading the Bios (reflashing)
    >> or is it necessary to use Windows for that operation?

    > don't BIOS upgrades come as either floppy images or CD images these days?

    I was told yesterday by the vendor from whom I bought my last system that
    bios upgrades are done using Windows 98. I'm hoping for a more OpenBSD-
    centric solution.

  3. Re: OpenBSD Tools for Upgrading Bios

    Nutty OpenBSD user Dave wrote:

    > Does OpenBSD have any tools for upgrading the Bios (reflashing)
    > or is it necessary to use Windows for that operation?

    Do not flash your BIOS from within your OS. Boot from floppy and use e.g.
    flash.exe or aflash.exe.

    --
    No Swen today, my love has gone away
    My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn

  4. Re: OpenBSD Tools for Upgrading Bios

    On 2007-10-31, Helmut Schneider wrote:
    > Nutty OpenBSD user Dave wrote:
    >
    >> Does OpenBSD have any tools for upgrading the Bios (reflashing)
    >> or is it necessary to use Windows for that operation?

    > Do not flash your BIOS from within your OS. Boot from floppy and use e.g.
    > flash.exe or aflash.exe.

    I ran into a HP box (with an Asus mb) a while ago that had BIOS
    updates available... but only if you used Vista. Supplied as an .exe
    that didn't run in DOS, of course. Pity that the reason the owner
    wanted a BIOS upgrade was that the Vista installer crashed *every*
    time, the box ran XP Pro just fine.

    EAa
    --
    "I wasn't prepared to debug _anything_ at this point. Smash
    things into little bits, yes. Debug, no." -- Graham Reed

  5. Re: OpenBSD Tools for Upgrading Bios

    Eystein Roll Aarseth wrote:
    > On 2007-10-31, Helmut Schneider wrote:
    >> Nutty OpenBSD user Dave wrote:
    >>
    >>> Does OpenBSD have any tools for upgrading the Bios (reflashing)
    >>> or is it necessary to use Windows for that operation?

    >> Do not flash your BIOS from within your OS. Boot from floppy and use e.g.
    >> flash.exe or aflash.exe.

    > I ran into a HP box (with an Asus mb) a while ago that had BIOS
    > updates available... but only if you used Vista. Supplied as an .exe
    > that didn't run in DOS, of course. Pity that the reason the owner
    > wanted a BIOS upgrade was that the Vista installer crashed *every*
    > time, the box ran XP Pro just fine.
    >
    > EAa

    I now have found the bios upgrade I need by using Google.
    I so far have not succeeded in downloading the upgrade.
    It may be that the bios upgrade is downloaded and flashed
    by a vendor program running under Windows.

  6. Re: OpenBSD Tools for Upgrading Bios

    Nutty OpenBSD user Dave wrote:
    > Eystein Roll Aarseth wrote:

    >>> Do not flash your BIOS from within your OS. Boot from floppy and use e.g.
    >>> flash.exe or aflash.exe.

    >> I ran into a HP box (with an Asus mb) a while ago that had BIOS
    >> updates available... but only if you used Vista. Supplied as an .exe
    >> that didn't run in DOS, of course. Pity that the reason the owner
    >> wanted a BIOS upgrade was that the Vista installer crashed *every*
    >> time, the box ran XP Pro just fine.
    >>
    >> EAa

    > I now have found the bios upgrade I need by using Google.
    > I so far have not succeeded in downloading the upgrade.
    > It may be that the bios upgrade is downloaded and flashed
    > by a vendor program running under Windows.

    I now have downloaded the bios upgrade. I still don't know
    whether the upgrade has to be done in dos mode or dos32 mode.

  7. Re: OpenBSD Tools for Upgrading Bios

    If you have OpenBSD installed, and you have an .exe for updating the
    bios that only works with dos/dos32/win9x you could always download the
    bios image, then use freedos or BartPE, have it get on a network or find
    a usb flash drive and run the .exe or load the image that way. If worse
    comes to worse, get a spare hard drive, throw dos/windows on it, boot
    off that drive and upgrade like that.

    Nutty OpenBSD user Dave wrote:
    > Does OpenBSD have any tools for upgrading the Bios (reflashing)
    > or is it necessary to use Windows for that operation?

  8. Re: OpenBSD Tools for Upgrading Bios

    ~David~ wrote:
    > If you have OpenBSD installed, and you have an .exe for updating the
    > bios that only works with dos/dos32/win9x you could always download the
    > bios image, then use freedos or BartPE, have it get on a network or find
    > a usb flash drive and run the .exe or load the image that way. If worse
    > comes to worse, get a spare hard drive, throw dos/windows on it, boot
    > off that drive and upgrade like that.

    Thanks for the pointer to BartPE. This is functionally what I need, but
    I discarded all my windows software a long time ago. It would be real
    handy to have a BartPE equivalent built from OpenBSD which had the
    capability of flashing the bios of AMD64 motherboards and possibly
    providing various diagnostic capabilities.

    If reflashing does not solve my hardware problems, I will probably have
    to buy a new motherboard.

    > Nutty OpenBSD user Dave wrote:
    >> Does OpenBSD have any tools for upgrading the Bios (reflashing)
    >> or is it necessary to use Windows for that operation?

+ Reply to Thread