private data leakage into /var /etc and elsewhere - BSD

This is a discussion on private data leakage into /var /etc and elsewhere - BSD ; Hi, Does anyone have any ideas on the leakyness of applications and servers as well as system binaries from the point of view of data security and privacy on a free bsd system. It is relatively easy to encrypt /home, ...

  1. private data leakage into /var /etc and elsewhere

    Hi,

    Does anyone have any ideas on the leakyness of applications and servers
    as well as system binaries from the point of view of data security and
    privacy on a free bsd system.

    It is relatively easy to encrypt /home, /tmp and swap but the rest is not
    so easy. So, if i only encrypt home tmp and swap does the system still
    leak in many places? /var/tmp leaks kde stuff I know but I use gnome which
    does not. Anymore leaks that anyone knows about?

    I am asking this because at present I use debian etch which is able to
    encrypt everything except /boot but it uses LVM also and if the system is
    corrupted or reloaded for whatever reason it is not possible to easily
    rebuild /home and the debian etch installer program definitely will not
    detect what /home was previously and save it for reuse as home. Therefore
    I am moving back to just encrypting home tmp and swap and I understand
    that this is probably all I'll get with freebsd also.

    thanks.

    --
    ___ _______ ___ ___ ___ __ ____
    / _ \/ __/ _ | / _ \ / _ \/ _ |/ / / / /

  2. Re: private data leakage into /var /etc and elsewhere

    On 2007-10-31, Dead Paul wrote:
    > Does anyone have any ideas on the leakyness of applications and servers
    > as well as system binaries from the point of view of data security and
    > privacy on a free bsd system.
    >
    > It is relatively easy to encrypt /home, /tmp and swap but the rest is not
    > so easy. So, if i only encrypt home tmp and swap does the system still
    > leak in many places? /var/tmp leaks kde stuff I know but I use gnome which
    > does not. Anymore leaks that anyone knows about?

    Good question, I'd also like to know.

    The only thing I know of is /var/db/locate.database, but that leak can
    be closed from /etc/locate.rc. AFAIK PRUNEPATHS will not only omit them
    from output but from locate.database too.

+ Reply to Thread