high load averages on idle OpenBSD 4.1 GENERIC#1435 i386 machine - BSD

This is a discussion on high load averages on idle OpenBSD 4.1 GENERIC#1435 i386 machine - BSD ; Hi, I noticed, that on my machine, where top is showing CPU states: 0.2% user, 0.0% nice, 1.4% system, 0.0% interrupt, 98.4% idle is see load averages: 2.06, 2.05, 2.00 The machine is not doing any high load tasks. What ...

  1. high load averages on idle OpenBSD 4.1 GENERIC#1435 i386 machine

    Hi,

    I noticed, that on my machine, where top is showing

    CPU states: 0.2% user, 0.0% nice, 1.4% system, 0.0% interrupt,
    98.4% idle

    is see load averages: 2.06, 2.05, 2.00

    The machine is not doing any high load tasks. What I can check?

    I had recently upgraded OpenBSD 4.0 to 4.1. Can this be somehow
    related (Did I forget to update a configuration file?)

    Best regards,
    Jiri

  2. Re: high load averages on idle OpenBSD 4.1 GENERIC#1435 i386 machine

    plavcik@gmail.com wrote:

    > I noticed, that on my machine, where top is showing
    > CPU states: 0.2% user, 0.0% nice, 1.4% system, 0.0% interrupt,
    > 98.4% idle
    > is see load averages: 2.06, 2.05, 2.00
    > The machine is not doing any high load tasks. What I can check?
    > I had recently upgraded OpenBSD 4.0 to 4.1. Can this be somehow
    > related (Did I forget to update a configuration file?)

    I had a similiar problem with an IBM x300 and the sensors daemon. Disabling
    iic and ichicc in UKC helped here.

    HTH, Helmut

    --
    No Swen today, my love has gone away
    My mailbox stands for lorn, a symbol of the dawn

  3. Re: high load averages on idle OpenBSD 4.1 GENERIC#1435 i386 machine

    On Oct 31, 10:40 am, "Helmut Schneider" wrote:
    > plav...@gmail.com wrote:
    > > I noticed, that on my machine, where top is showing
    > > CPU states: 0.2% user, 0.0% nice, 1.4% system, 0.0% interrupt,
    > > 98.4% idle
    > > is see load averages: 2.06, 2.05, 2.00
    > > The machine is not doing any high load tasks. What I can check?
    > > I had recently upgraded OpenBSD 4.0 to 4.1. Can this be somehow
    > > related (Did I forget to update a configuration file?)

    > I had a similiar problem with an IBM x300 and the sensors daemon. Disabling
    > iic and ichicc in UKC helped here.
    >
    > HTH, Helmut

    Thank you for reply. Disabling is done by creating a custom kernel?

    Jiri

  4. Re: high load averages on idle OpenBSD 4.1 GENERIC#1435 i386 machine

    In article <1193966664.695267.78120@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    plavcik@gmail.com wrote:
    >On Oct 31, 10:40 am, "Helmut Schneider" wrote:
    >> plav...@gmail.com wrote:
    >> > I noticed, that on my machine, where top is showing
    >> > CPU states: 0.2% user, 0.0% nice, 1.4% system, 0.0% interrupt,
    >> > 98.4% idle
    >> > is see load averages: 2.06, 2.05, 2.00
    >> > The machine is not doing any high load tasks. What I can check?
    >> > I had recently upgraded OpenBSD 4.0 to 4.1. Can this be somehow
    >> > related (Did I forget to update a configuration file?)

    >> I had a similiar problem with an IBM x300 and the sensors daemon. Disabling
    >> iic and ichicc in UKC helped here.
    >>
    >> HTH, Helmut

    >Thank you for reply. Disabling is done by creating a custom kernel?
    >
    >Jiri

    NO. Or probably, not in the sense that you intend.

    There is a nifty mechanism called autoconf in openbsd kernels.
    This means you can boot the kernel with -c from the boot prompt, to
    access it, and disable what you want.

    When you're satisfied, you can use config -e to do the same thing
    in a more permanent way.

    But you definitely do not have to create a `custom' kernel in the
    ordinary sense, no new kernel to compile.

  5. Re: high load averages on idle OpenBSD 4.1 GENERIC#1435 i386 machine

    On Nov 2, 9:19 am, es...@lain.home (Marc Espie) wrote:
    > In article <1193966664.695267.78...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.c om>,
    >

    > plav...@gmail.com wrote:

    > >> I had a similiar problem with an IBM x300 and the sensors daemon. Disabling
    > >> iic and ichicc in UKC helped here.

    > >> HTH, Helmut

    > >Thank you for reply. Disabling is done by creating a custom kernel?

    > >Jiri

    > NO. Or probably, not in the sense that you intend.
    >
    > There is a nifty mechanism called autoconf in openbsd kernels.
    > This means you can boot the kernel with -c from the boot prompt, to
    > access it, and disable what you want.
    >
    > When you're satisfied, you can use config -e to do the same thing
    > in a more permanent way.
    >
    > But you definitely do not have to create a `custom' kernel in the
    > ordinary sense, no new kernel to compile.

    Thank you. I like this mechanism for changing kernel!

    I had disabled iic in kernel and now is the reporting allright.

    Than you for the support provided,
    Jiri

  6. Re: high load averages on idle OpenBSD 4.1 GENERIC#1435 i386 machine

    > Thank you. I like this mechanism for changing kernel!
    >
    > I had disabled iic in kernel and now is the reporting allright.
    >
    > Than you for the support provided,
    > Jiri

    I have to admint, that I was too fast with the optimistic result.
    After few minutes, the uptime reported low numbers only just after
    boot of adjusted kernel. Later, the values were again higher.

    I learned a new thing about "working with kernel" in OpenBSD, which I
    like. Unfortunatelly, I did not exactly found, where was the problem.
    If in upgrade from 4.0 to 4.1 or in some device? Sorry for now playing
    more with this.

    I solved this issue with installing 4.2 from scratch. Uptime is now
    showing same values as top.

    Jiri

+ Reply to Thread