natd question.... - BSD

This is a discussion on natd question.... - BSD ; Hi I'm experiencing an issue with natd that I haven't experienced before Trying to nat traffic from the address 192.168.100.99 to any http service I do: ipfw add 5 divert 8672 tcp from 192.168.100.99 to any dst-port 80 run natd ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: natd question....

  1. natd question....

    Hi

    I'm experiencing an issue with natd that I haven't experienced before

    Trying to nat traffic from the address 192.168.100.99 to any http service

    I do:
    ipfw add 5 divert 8672 tcp from 192.168.100.99 to any dst-port 80

    run natd with the following config file:
    natd -v -f /etc/natd.test.conf
    use_sockets yes
    same_ports yes
    unregistered_only yes
    alias_address 1.2.3.4
    port 8672

    ---
    the output is:
    In {default}[TCP] [TCP] 192.168.100.99:53000 -> 74.125.19.83:80 aliased to
    [TCP] 192.168.100.99:53000 -> 74.125.19.83:80

    How come it doesn't show:
    In {default}[TCP] [TCP] 192.168.100.99:53000 -> 74.125.19.83:80 aliased to
    [TCP] 1.2.3.4:53000 -> 74.125.19.83:80

    I don't understand why it doesn't do the aliasing properly there ?

    Thanks for any help
    Jean-Yves


    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)


  2. Re: natd question....

    On 2007-10-29 05:25:28 +1100, JYA said:
    > ---
    > the output is:
    > In {default}[TCP] [TCP] 192.168.100.99:53000 -> 74.125.19.83:80 aliased to
    > [TCP] 192.168.100.99:53000 -> 74.125.19.83:80
    >
    > How come it doesn't show:
    > In {default}[TCP] [TCP] 192.168.100.99:53000 -> 74.125.19.83:80 aliased to
    > [TCP] 1.2.3.4:53000 -> 74.125.19.83:80


    Hum, just realised that it shows *IN* rather than out in the log.

    To add some information.
    The network card has a few public IP address assigned to it
    192.168.100.99 is the IP address assigned to a VPN client connected to
    that box.

    Jean-Yves

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)


  3. Re: natd question....

    On 2007-10-29 05:31:00 +1100, JYA said:
    >
    > To add some information.
    > The network card has a few public IP address assigned to it
    > 192.168.100.99 is the IP address assigned to a VPN client connected to
    > that box.
    >



    No one has an idea about what the problem could be ?
    Or where I'm doing it incorrectly ?


    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)


  4. Re: natd question....

    JYA wrote:

    [...]

    > the output is:
    > In {default}[TCP] [TCP] 192.168.100.99:53000 -> 74.125.19.83:80 aliased to
    > [TCP] 192.168.100.99:53000 -> 74.125.19.83:80
    >
    > How come it doesn't show:
    > In {default}[TCP] [TCP] 192.168.100.99:53000 -> 74.125.19.83:80 aliased to
    > [TCP] 1.2.3.4:53000 -> 74.125.19.83:80
    >
    > I don't understand why it doesn't do the aliasing properly there ?
    >
    > Thanks for any help
    > Jean-Yves
    >
    >


    I also tried to configure 'natd' on my box (as per the instructions in FreeBSD
    Handbook), yesterday and ran into similar problem. 'natd' is not NATing at all,
    it is just forwarding packets. So the source address of the packets (from
    internal LAN) are not masqueraded with the public IPv4 address assigned to the
    router (my box). Though I'm running recently released FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5
    (amd64) . Which version of FreeBSD are you running ?

    --
    Ashish Shukla
    http://wahjava.wordpress.com/

  5. Re: natd question....

    On 2007-11-01 08:07:48 +1100, आशीष Ashish said:
    > I also tried to configure 'natd' on my box (as per the instructions in FreeBSD
    > Handbook), yesterday and ran into similar problem. 'natd' is not NATing at all,
    > it is just forwarding packets. So the source address of the packets (from
    > internal LAN) are not masqueraded with the public IPv4 address assigned to the
    > router (my box). Though I'm running recently released FreeBSD 7.0-BETA1.5
    > (amd64) . Which version of FreeBSD are you running ?


    I am running FreeBSD 6.2

    I've never had issues with natd on any of my other FreeBSD boxes.
    In fact I'm running natd on that machine already (I have two other natd
    process running) with no issue.
    Just that instance refuse to masquerade the traffic. For some reasons
    it treats as incoming traffic something that is oubviously outgoing...

    Jean-Yves

    --
    They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security,
    deserve neither liberty or security (Benjamin Franklin)


+ Reply to Thread