Apparent inability of (Linux) acroread7-7.0.9,1 to work with apparentWindows specific digital signatures/forms - BSD

This is a discussion on Apparent inability of (Linux) acroread7-7.0.9,1 to work with apparentWindows specific digital signatures/forms - BSD ; PDF forms designed with Windows-based Acrobat-whatever appear to be unusable with the Linux version of Acroread with regards to digital signatures, certificates, and embedded forms with "user modifiable fields". There is usually some message about "rights" and that the document ...

  1. Apparent inability of (Linux) acroread7-7.0.9,1 to work with apparentWindows specific digital signatures/forms

    PDF forms designed with Windows-based Acrobat-whatever appear to be unusable
    with the Linux version of Acroread with regards to digital signatures,
    certificates, and embedded forms with "user modifiable fields". There is usually
    some message about "rights" and that the document author should be contacted.

    FBSD/Linux Acroread is unable to import certificates, digitally sign a PDF
    document, or process FDF(?) fields within a PDF document. This tends to severely
    limit Acroread's FBSD capabilities, and in some cases - makes it useless where
    an environment requires digital signatures in addition to filling out the
    embedded form.

    Are there any known solutions?

  2. Re: Apparent inability of (Linux) acroread7-7.0.9,1 to work with apparent Windows specific digital signatures/forms

    On 2007-10-27, User 1001 wrote:

    > PDF forms designed with Windows-based Acrobat-whatever appear to be unusable
    > with the Linux version of Acroread with regards to digital signatures,
    > certificates, and embedded forms with "user modifiable fields". There is usually
    > some message about "rights" and that the document author should be contacted.
    >
    > FBSD/Linux Acroread is unable to import certificates, digitally sign a PDF
    > document, or process FDF(?) fields within a PDF document. This tends to severely
    > limit Acroread's FBSD capabilities, and in some cases - makes it useless where
    > an environment requires digital signatures in addition to filling out the
    > embedded form.
    >
    > Are there any known solutions?

    Have you tried the linux version 8.1.1 yet? I don't know if it supports
    those features, but it may be worth a try.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

  3. Re: Apparent inability of (Linux) acroread7-7.0.9,1 to work withapparent Windows specific digital signatures/forms

    John Thompson wrote:
    > On 2007-10-27, User 1001 wrote:
    >
    >> PDF forms designed with Windows-based Acrobat-whatever appear to be unusable
    >> with the Linux version of Acroread with regards to digital signatures,
    >> certificates, and embedded forms with "user modifiable fields". There is usually
    >> some message about "rights" and that the document author should be contacted.
    >>
    >> FBSD/Linux Acroread is unable to import certificates, digitally sign a PDF
    >> document, or process FDF(?) fields within a PDF document. This tends to severely
    >> limit Acroread's FBSD capabilities, and in some cases - makes it useless where
    >> an environment requires digital signatures in addition to filling out the
    >> embedded form.
    >>
    >> Are there any known solutions?

    > Have you tried the linux version 8.1.1 yet? I don't know if it supports
    > those features, but it may be worth a try.

    No - I don't use "straight" Linux and version 8 is not available as a port yet.

  4. Re: Apparent inability of (Linux) acroread7-7.0.9,1 to work with apparent Windows specific digital signatures/forms

    User 1001 wrote:

    > PDF forms designed with Windows-based Acrobat-whatever appear to be
    > unusable with the Linux version of Acroread with regards to digital
    > signatures, certificates, and embedded forms with "user modifiable
    > fields". There is usually some message about "rights" and that the
    > document author should be contacted.
    >
    > FBSD/Linux Acroread is unable to import certificates, digitally sign a PDF
    > document, or process FDF(?) fields within a PDF document. This tends to
    > severely limit Acroread's FBSD capabilities, and in some cases - makes it
    > useless where an environment requires digital signatures in addition to
    > filling out the embedded form.
    >
    > Are there any known solutions?

    don't know about 'signed' Acrobat stuff but I notice all certificates
    attached to email from MS are rejected by Kmail under FBSD, I'll have to
    check in Linux.
    Could just be that MS certificates are not the same as GNU. Any standard as
    long as it's MS etc?...

    --

    Bill
    AMD64 - FreeBSD 6.2

  5. Re: Apparent inability of (Linux) acroread7-7.0.9,1 to work with apparent Windows specific digital signatures/forms

    On 2007-10-29, User 1001 wrote:

    > John Thompson wrote:
    >>
    >> Have you tried the linux version 8.1.1 yet? I don't know if it supports
    >> those features, but it may be worth a try.

    > No - I don't use "straight" Linux and version 8 is not available as a
    > port yet.

    Do you have the linux emulation layer for FreeBSD? Perhaps it will run
    in that.

    --

    John (john@os2.dhs.org)

+ Reply to Thread