how create new partition from command line - BSD

This is a discussion on how create new partition from command line - BSD ; Hello how create new partion from commad line with specified size? Rafal...

  1. how create new partition from command line

    Hello

    how create new partion from commad line with specified size?

    Rafal

  2. Re: how create new partition from command line

    On 10/25/2007 04:20 PM, Rafal wrote:
    > how create new partion from commad line with specified size?

    On Debian/Ubuntu/Knoppix machines, both the packages 'util-linux' and
    'fdisk-udeb' provide a tool known as _sfdisk_; use any of these at your
    own risk. It OTOH, could be quite dangerous in hands of a novice, so you
    been warned

    Anu'z Linux@HOME (Unix Shoppe) Machines: #168573, 170593, 259192
    Chandigarh, UT, 160062, India Gentoo, Fedora, Debian/FreeBSD/XP

  3. Re: how create new partition from command line

    Balwinder S Dheeman wrote:
    > On 10/25/2007 04:20 PM, Rafal wrote:
    >> how create new partion from commad line with specified size?

    > On Debian/Ubuntu/Knoppix machines, both the packages 'util-linux' and
    > 'fdisk-udeb' provide a tool known as _sfdisk_; use any of these at
    > your own risk. It OTOH, could be quite dangerous in hands of a novice,
    > so you been warned

    The way to do this on FreeBSD is explained in the handbook.
    See /usr/share/doc/handbook/disks-adding.html

    HTH, Daniel.

  4. Re: how create new partition from command line

    > The way to do this on FreeBSD is explained in the handbook.
    > See /usr/share/doc/handbook/disks-adding.html

    ok, but how set size for any partition on one disk? - i havent create one
    partition on one disk

  5. Re: how create new partition from command line

    On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:05:04 +0200, "Rafal" wrote:

    >> The way to do this on FreeBSD is explained in the handbook.
    >> See /usr/share/doc/handbook/disks-adding.html

    >ok, but how set size for any partition on one disk? - i havent create one
    >partition on one disk

    In FreeBSD, we create "slices" on disk first, then we "partition" the
    slices.

  6. Re: how create new partition from command line

    Speechless wrote:

    > On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 22:05:04 +0200, "Rafal" wrote:
    >

    >>> The way to do this on FreeBSD is explained in the handbook.
    >>> See /usr/share/doc/handbook/disks-adding.html

    >>ok, but how set size for any partition on one disk? - i havent create one
    >>partition on one disk
    >>

    > In FreeBSD, we create "slices" on disk first, then we "partition" the
    > slices.

    You will use fdisk to create the slice (ad0s1 for example), then disklabel
    to subdivide it into partitions (ad0s1a, ad0s1d for example). The
    individual partitions will then be formatted with a file system, and
    mounted to different areas of the overall file system tree. For example,
    ad0s1a would be your "/" (root), ad0s1d might be your /usr, etc.

    If you are new to this you might find it easier to begin (as root)
    in /stand/sysinstall and choose the Configure option, inside which you will
    find Fdisk and Label menu choices which start fdisk and disklabel. If you
    don't know what you're doing and it's a blank disk there are "automagic"
    options which make suggestions for you. If it's not a blank disk and you
    value any data on it *backup* first! You make one little error and stuff
    goes *poof* quick!

    -Jason

  7. Re: how create new partition from command line

    > If you are new to this you might find it easier to begin (as root)
    > in /stand/sysinstall and choose the Configure option, inside which you

    will
    > find Fdisk and Label menu choices which start fdisk and disklabel. If you
    > don't know what you're doing and it's a blank disk there are "automagic"
    > options which make suggestions for you. If it's not a blank disk and you
    > value any data on it *backup* first! You make one little error and stuff
    > goes *poof* quick!

    yes, but i have make auto install from pxe and i have create parition from
    only command line

  8. Re: how create new partition from command line

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 15:07:09 UTC, "Rafal" wrote:

    > yes, but i have make auto install from pxe and i have create parition from
    > only command line

    Create a temporary file with the correct partitioning ('slice' is the
    correct term), then use 'fdisk -f'. See the man page.

    --
    Bob Eager
    UNIX since v6..

  9. Re: how create new partition from command line

    On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 00:37:56 GMT, Jason Bourne wrote:
    : in /stand/sysinstall and choose the Configure option, inside which you will

    /usr/sbin/sysinstall, you old timer you

    The fingers seem to keep typing typing /stand/sysinstall here too

  10. Re: how create new partition from command line

    > Create a temporary file with the correct partitioning ('slice' is the
    > correct term), then use 'fdisk -f'. See the man page.

    aa, ok, thanks

    Rafal

  11. Re: how create new partition from command line

    Howard Goldstein wrote:

    [snip]
    > /usr/sbin/sysinstall, you old timer you
    >
    > The fingers seem to keep typing typing /stand/sysinstall here too

    You see how often I use sysinstall. Been pretty much doing the make world
    buildworld dance since about 4.0. Didn't use sysinstall again 'til time to
    move from 4.10 to 5.2.1 Haven't touched it since :-)

    -Jason

+ Reply to Thread