Sane and Plustek - BSD

This is a discussion on Sane and Plustek - BSD ; _____ Hello, Own a PPort scanner plustek opticpro 9636T. Been using Windows ME to drive scanner. Wish to use OBSD 4.1. Built new install, installed sane front and back ends, plus xsane. Configured plustek_pp.conf as follows: # Plustek-PP SANE Backend ...

  1. Sane and Plustek

    _____
    Hello,

    Own a PPort scanner plustek opticpro 9636T. Been using Windows ME to
    drive scanner. Wish to use OBSD 4.1. Built new install, installed sane
    front and back ends, plus xsane. Configured plustek_pp.conf as follows:
    # Plustek-PP SANE Backend configuration file
    # For use with Plustek parallel-port scanners
    #

    #
    # user either [direct] or [kernel] to access the scanner
    # or a device-name suitable for libieee1284, i.e. parport0
    #
    [direct]
    device 0x378

    #
    # example for accessing the scanner via libieee1284
    #
    #[direct]
    #device parport0
    #device lpt0

    option warmup 30
    option lOffOnEnd 0
    option lampOff 180
    option mov 0
    option slowIO 0
    option forceMode 0

    Device detection fails:
    $ scanimage --list-devices

    Scanner is plugged in and turned ON.

    The sane specific man pages and FAQ are all linux centric. OBSD does
    not use kernel modules to my knowledge. What am i missing? I must
    somehow be able to point at a plustek scanner attached to the parallel
    port at 0x378 or /dev/lpt0.

    Has anyone managed to get this type of scanner to work? If yes, please
    do tell.
    --
    Regards / JCH

  2. Re: Sane and Plustek

    On Oct 24, 3:53 pm, jch wrote:
    > _____
    > Hello,
    >
    > Own a PPort scanner plustek opticpro 9636T. Been using Windows ME to
    > drive scanner. Wish to use OBSD 4.1. Built new install, installed sane
    > front and back ends, plus xsane. Configured plustek_pp.conf as follows:
    > # Plustek-PP SANE Backend configuration file
    > # For use with Plustek parallel-port scanners
    > #
    >
    > #
    > # user either [direct] or [kernel] to access the scanner
    > # or a device-name suitable for libieee1284, i.e. parport0
    > #
    > [direct]
    > device 0x378
    >
    > #
    > # example for accessing the scanner via libieee1284
    > #
    > #[direct]
    > #device parport0
    > #device lpt0
    >
    > option warmup 30
    > option lOffOnEnd 0
    > option lampOff 180
    > option mov 0
    > option slowIO 0
    > option forceMode 0
    >
    > Device detection fails:
    > $ scanimage --list-devices
    >
    > No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
    > check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
    > sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
    > which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
    >
    > Scanner is plugged in and turned ON.
    >
    > The sane specific man pages and FAQ are all linux centric. OBSD does
    > not use kernel modules to my knowledge. What am i missing? I must
    > somehow be able to point at a plustek scanner attached to the parallel
    > port at 0x378 or /dev/lpt0.
    >
    > Has anyone managed to get this type of scanner to work? If yes, please
    > do tell.
    > --
    > Regards / JCH

    Could you tell me first if your kernel is detecting the device and if
    it's supported. If you're unsure, check your dmesg. If you're unsure
    post your dmesg content and I'll try my best to start troubleshooting
    with you from the ground up.

  3. Re: Sane and Plustek

    neuro_damage wrote:
    > On Oct 24, 3:53 pm, jch wrote:
    >> _____
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> Own a PPort scanner plustek opticpro 9636T. Been using Windows ME to
    >> drive scanner. Wish to use OBSD 4.1. Built new install, installed sane
    >> front and back ends, plus xsane. Configured plustek_pp.conf as follows:
    >> # Plustek-PP SANE Backend configuration file
    >> # For use with Plustek parallel-port scanners
    >> #
    >>
    >> #
    >> # user either [direct] or [kernel] to access the scanner
    >> # or a device-name suitable for libieee1284, i.e. parport0
    >> #
    >> [direct]
    >> device 0x378
    >>
    >> #
    >> # example for accessing the scanner via libieee1284
    >> #
    >> #[direct]
    >> #device parport0
    >> #device lpt0
    >>
    >> option warmup 30
    >> option lOffOnEnd 0
    >> option lampOff 180
    >> option mov 0
    >> option slowIO 0
    >> option forceMode 0
    >>
    >> Device detection fails:
    >> $ scanimage --list-devices
    >>
    >> No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something different,
    >> check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by the
    >> sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the documentation
    >> which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).
    >>
    >> Scanner is plugged in and turned ON.
    >>
    >> The sane specific man pages and FAQ are all linux centric. OBSD does
    >> not use kernel modules to my knowledge. What am i missing? I must
    >> somehow be able to point at a plustek scanner attached to the parallel
    >> port at 0x378 or /dev/lpt0.
    >>
    >> Has anyone managed to get this type of scanner to work? If yes, please
    >> do tell.
    >> --
    >> Regards / JCH

    > Could you tell me first if your kernel is detecting the device and if
    > it's supported. If you're unsure, check your dmesg. If you're unsure
    > post your dmesg content and I'll try my best to start troubleshooting
    > with you from the ground up.

    _____
    The kernel does not see the device. It does see the lpt0 device only.
    Here is the dmesg output:
    $ cat dmesg.txt
    OpenBSD 4.1 (GENERIC) #1435: Sat Mar 10 19:07:45 MST 2007
    deraadt@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
    cpu0: Intel Pentium III ("GenuineIntel" 686-class, 512KB L2 cache) 452 MHz
    cpu0:
    FPU,V86,DE,PSE,TSC,MSR,PAE,MCE,CX8,SEP,MTRR,PGE,MC A,CMOV,PAT,PSE36,SER,MMX
    ,FXSR,SSE
    cpu0: disabling processor serial number
    real mem = 335101952 (327248K)
    avail mem = 297574400 (290600K)
    using 4121 buffers containing 16879616 bytes (16484K) of memory
    mainbus0 (root)
    bios0 at mainbus0: AT/286+ BIOS, date 03/01/99, BIOS32 rev. 0 @ 0xf0520
    apm0 at bios0: Power Management spec V1.2
    apm0: AC on, battery charge unknown
    apm0: flags 30102 dobusy 0 doidle 1
    pcibios0 at bios0: rev 2.1 @ 0xf0000/0xd92
    pcibios0: PCI IRQ Routing Table rev 1.0 @ 0xf0d10/128 (6 entries)
    pcibios0: PCI Interrupt Router at 000:04:0 ("Intel 82371FB ISA" rev 0x00)
    pcibios0: PCI bus #1 is the last bus
    bios0: ROM list: 0xc0000/0x8000
    acpi at mainbus0 not configured
    cpu0 at mainbus0
    pci0 at mainbus0 bus 0: configuration mode 1 (no bios)
    pchb0 at pci0 dev 0 function 0 "Intel 82443BX AGP" rev 0x03
    ppb0 at pci0 dev 1 function 0 "Intel 82443BX AGP" rev 0x03
    pci1 at ppb0 bus 1
    vga1 at pci1 dev 0 function 0 "ATI Rage Pro" rev 0x5c
    wsdisplay0 at vga1 mux 1: console (80x25, vt100 emulation)
    wsdisplay0: screen 1-5 added (80x25, vt100 emulation)
    pcib0 at pci0 dev 4 function 0 "Intel 82371AB PIIX4 ISA" rev 0x02
    pciide0 at pci0 dev 4 function 1 "Intel 82371AB IDE" rev 0x01: DMA,
    channel 0 wi
    red to compatibility, channel 1 wired to compatibility
    wd0 at pciide0 channel 0 drive 0:
    wd0: 16-sector PIO, LBA, 9765MB, 20000536 sectors
    wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2
    atapiscsi0 at pciide0 channel 1 drive 1
    scsibus0 at atapiscsi0: 2 targets
    cd0 at scsibus0 targ 0 lun 0: SCSI0
    5/cdrom remo
    vable
    cd0(pciide0:1:1): using PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
    uhci0 at pci0 dev 4 function 2 "Intel 82371AB USB" rev 0x01: irq 5
    usb0 at uhci0: USB revision 1.0
    uhub0 at usb0
    uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
    piixpm0 at pci0 dev 4 function 3 "Intel 82371AB Power" rev 0x02: SMI
    iic0 at piixpm0
    lm1 at iic0 addr 0x2d: W83781D
    xl0 at pci0 dev 9 function 0 "3Com 3c900 10Mbps-Combo" rev 0x00: irq 5,
    address
    00:60:97:a4:1d:cc
    eap0 at pci0 dev 11 function 0 "Ensoniq CT5880" rev 0x02: irq 10
    ac97: codec id 0x83847608 (SigmaTel STAC9708/11)
    ac97: codec features 18 bit DAC, 18 bit ADC, SigmaTel 3D
    audio0 at eap0
    midi0 at eap0:
    isa0 at pcib0
    isadma0 at isa0
    pckbc0 at isa0 port 0x60/5
    pckbd0 at pckbc0 (kbd slot)
    pckbc0: using irq 1 for kbd slot
    wskbd0 at pckbd0: console keyboard, using wsdisplay0
    pms0 at pckbc0 (aux slot)
    pckbc0: using irq 12 for aux slot
    wsmouse0 at pms0 mux 0
    pcppi0 at isa0 port 0x61
    midi1 at pcppi0:
    spkr0 at pcppi0
    lpt0 at isa0 port 0x378/4 irq 7
    lm0 at isa0 port 0x290/8: W83781D
    lm1 detached
    npx0 at isa0 port 0xf0/16: reported by CPUID; using exception 16
    pccom0 at isa0 port 0x3f8/8 irq 4: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
    pccom1 at isa0 port 0x2f8/8 irq 3: ns16550a, 16 byte fifo
    fdc0 at isa0 port 0x3f0/6 irq 6 drq 2
    fd0 at fdc0 drive 0: 1.44MB 80 cyl, 2 head, 18 sec
    biomask eb65 netmask eb65 ttymask fbe7
    pctr: 686-class user-level performance counters enabled
    mtrr: Pentium Pro MTRR support
    dkcsum: wd0 matches BIOS drive 0x80
    root on wd0a
    rootdev=0x0 rrootdev=0x300 rawdev=0x302
    $

    The plustek opticpro 9636t is supported accoring to the sane backend
    documentation:
    SUPPORTED DEVICES
    At present, the following scanners should work with this
    backend and/or the kernel module:

    PLUSTEK SCANNERS

    Parallelport Model: ASIC: Properties:
    ---------------------- ----- ------------------------
    OpticPro PT12 98003 600x1200 dpi 36bit 512Kb
    OpticPro P12 98003 600x1200 dpi 36bit 512Kb
    OpticPro 9636T/12000T 98001 600x1200 dpi 36bit 512Kb

    Elsewhere in the docs the driver support is called "completed" or
    something similar. I tried to work with this scanner about 5 years ago
    under Linux RedHat 6.2. It was only partly supported, and the driver
    made use of loadable kernel modules.

    Running "scanimage" gives the following message:
    $ scanimage -L -v

    Regards / JCH

+ Reply to Thread