Disk management - BSD

This is a discussion on Disk management - BSD ; My FreeBSD installation is on /dev/ad1. It now appears that /dev/ad0 is failing, and I may want to connect /dev/ad1 where it used to be. How would this affect access to FreeBSD? (Specifically, are changes needed to fstab? Since it ...

  1. Disk management

    My FreeBSD installation is on /dev/ad1. It now appears that /dev/ad0
    is failing, and I may want to connect /dev/ad1 where it used to be.
    How would this affect access to FreeBSD? (Specifically, are changes
    needed to fstab? Since it is booted by GRUB, I'm pretty sure that
    needs to be changed.)

    While we're on the subject, suppose that FreeBSD is the third
    partition on a disk. If one of the two lower-numbered partitions were
    removed (by replacing these two by a single partition), what effect
    would that have on FreeBSD's partition numbering?

    Some Linux distros have adopted UUID, so that the designation of a
    partition is permanent and it can be found anywhere in the system.
    However, I am aware that FreeBSD does not do this.

  2. Re: Disk management

    tim1948 wrote:
    > My FreeBSD installation is on /dev/ad1. It now appears that /dev/ad0
    > is failing, and I may want to connect /dev/ad1 where it used to be.
    > How would this affect access to FreeBSD? (Specifically, are changes
    > needed to fstab?

    Quite easy; change ad1 to ad0 in /etc/fstab.

    > Since it is booted by GRUB, I'm pretty sure that
    > needs to be changed.)

    Sorry, I can't help you there. But if you boot from ad0, you will
    probably need to install / reinstall grub on the disk which currently is
    ad1.

    > While we're on the subject, suppose that FreeBSD is the third
    > partition on a disk. If one of the two lower-numbered partitions were
    > removed (by replacing these two by a single partition), what effect
    > would that have on FreeBSD's partition numbering?

    You will have to try out that one. My guess is that the partition
    (FreeBSD slice) number will changes, but this seems to change based on
    the tool (to do the partition-munging) used, not necessarily the changes
    made to the partitions on disk.
    However, as sted, this is just my guess YMMV - wildly.
    --
    Torfinn Ingolfsen,
    Norway

+ Reply to Thread