Gnome Power Management - BSD

This is a discussion on Gnome Power Management - BSD ; Hello, all. I just finished installing FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE and Gnome 2.16.1 on a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. So far all desktop apps seem to be working as expected except the Power Manager. The manager launches but I get the message ...

  1. Gnome Power Management

    Hello, all. I just finished installing FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE and Gnome
    2.16.1 on a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. So far all desktop apps seem to
    be working as expected except the Power Manager. The manager launches
    but I get the message "Cannot connect to DBUS System Daemon." I also
    cannot get the power manager icon to display in the notification area of
    the task bar. Any assistance in remedying this situation would be
    greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

  2. Re: Gnome Power Management

    "J.B. Wood" writes:

    > Hello, all. I just finished installing FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE and Gnome
    > 2.16.1 on a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. So far all desktop apps seem to
    > be working as expected except the Power Manager. The manager launches
    > but I get the message "Cannot connect to DBUS System Daemon." I also
    > cannot get the power manager icon to display in the notification area of
    > the task bar. Any assistance in remedying this situation would be
    > greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

    Manually add the following line into `/etc/rc.conf':

    dbus_enable="YES"

    Or, you can add `gnome_enable="YES"' into `/etc/rc.conf', which will auto
    start any gnome-related services. It may generate some warning messages
    which you can safely bypass while system startup.

    --
    And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:
    -- Exodus 6:2

  3. Re: Gnome Power Management

    Denise H. G. wrote:
    > "J.B. Wood" writes:
    >
    >> Hello, all. I just finished installing FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE and Gnome
    >> 2.16.1 on a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. So far all desktop apps seem to
    >> be working as expected except the Power Manager. The manager launches
    >> but I get the message "Cannot connect to DBUS System Daemon." I also
    >> cannot get the power manager icon to display in the notification area of
    >> the task bar. Any assistance in remedying this situation would be
    >> greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

    > Manually add the following line into `/etc/rc.conf':
    >
    > dbus_enable="YES"
    >
    > Or, you can add `gnome_enable="YES"' into `/etc/rc.conf', which will auto
    > start any gnome-related services. It may generate some warning messages
    > which you can safely bypass while system startup.

    Thanks for the fast response, Denise! That took care of the DBUS
    problem and the power management icon is now displayed. However, if I
    start the computer with A.C. power and subsequently switch to battery
    power the icon still shows the computer as running on A.C. and even if
    the computer is kept on battery power and rebooted. Perhaps a
    BIOS/FreeBSD/Gnome compatibility issue? Sincerely,

  4. Re: Gnome Power Management

    "J.B. Wood" writes:

    > Denise H. G. wrote:
    >> "J.B. Wood" writes:
    >>
    >>> Hello, all. I just finished installing FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE and Gnome
    >>> 2.16.1 on a Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. So far all desktop apps seem to
    >>> be working as expected except the Power Manager. The manager launches
    >>> but I get the message "Cannot connect to DBUS System Daemon." I also
    >>> cannot get the power manager icon to display in the notification area of
    >>> the task bar. Any assistance in remedying this situation would be
    >>> greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and comment. Sincerely,

    >> Manually add the following line into `/etc/rc.conf':
    >>
    >> dbus_enable="YES"
    >>
    >> Or, you can add `gnome_enable="YES"' into `/etc/rc.conf', which will auto
    >> start any gnome-related services. It may generate some warning messages
    >> which you can safely bypass while system startup.
    >>

    > Thanks for the fast response, Denise! That took care of the DBUS
    > problem and the power management icon is now displayed. However, if I
    > start the computer with A.C. power and subsequently switch to battery
    > power the icon still shows the computer as running on A.C. and even if
    > the computer is kept on battery power and rebooted. Perhaps a
    > BIOS/FreeBSD/Gnome compatibility issue? Sincerely,

    I don't know.... I don't have laptops
    But check `/etc/rc.d/power_profile' for some useful info. It seems this
    script controls laptop things. However, I don't know how to use this
    script. Further more, you can see the man page of devd(8) for related
    information.

    Good luck.

    --
    And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:
    -- Exodus 6:2

+ Reply to Thread