Samba Won't Let Me Access a Mounted ISO File - BSD

This is a discussion on Samba Won't Let Me Access a Mounted ISO File - BSD ; I am running FreeBSD-6.2-STABLE with Samba-3.0.26a. In the past I've been able to mount ISO images of CD's I created with dd and then install the software that was on them onto Windows machines using Samba. But for some reason ...

  1. Samba Won't Let Me Access a Mounted ISO File

    I am running FreeBSD-6.2-STABLE with Samba-3.0.26a. In the past I've been
    able to mount ISO images of CD's I created with dd and then install the
    software that was on them onto Windows machines using Samba.

    But for some reason I am getting this error message when I try to access the
    mounted file in the Samba share:

    \\10.0.0.254\share\mounted_folder is not accessible. You may not have
    permission to access this network resource.

    I can access all other shares and folders underneath the shares without a
    problem. It just seems to be the mounted ISO's that are read-only that are
    not letting me access them. I don't want write access, only read access so I
    cannot figure out why this is happening.

  2. Re: Samba Won't Let Me Access a Mounted ISO File

    In article ,
    Vladimir Tserijemiwtz wrote:
    >I am running FreeBSD-6.2-STABLE with Samba-3.0.26a. In the past I've been
    >able to mount ISO images of CD's I created with dd and then install the
    >software that was on them onto Windows machines using Samba.
    >
    >But for some reason I am getting this error message when I try to access the
    >mounted file in the Samba share:
    >
    >\\10.0.0.254\share\mounted_folder is not accessible. You may not have
    >permission to access this network resource.
    >
    >I can access all other shares and folders underneath the shares without a
    >problem. It just seems to be the mounted ISO's that are read-only that are
    >not letting me access them. I don't want write access, only read access so I
    >cannot figure out why this is happening.

    What are you using to mount the ISO? I just tried daemon-tools
    (Win) on a read-only ISO share and it worked fine so don't think it's
    samba (same version here).

    alan

  3. Re: Samba Won't Let Me Access a Mounted ISO File

    "Alan Strassberg" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Vladimir Tserijemiwtz wrote:
    >>I am running FreeBSD-6.2-STABLE with Samba-3.0.26a. In the past I've been
    >>able to mount ISO images of CD's I created with dd and then install the
    >>software that was on them onto Windows machines using Samba.
    >>
    >>But for some reason I am getting this error message when I try to access
    >>the
    >>mounted file in the Samba share:
    >>
    >>\\10.0.0.254\share\mounted_folder is not accessible. You may not have
    >>permission to access this network resource.
    >>
    >>I can access all other shares and folders underneath the shares without a
    >>problem. It just seems to be the mounted ISO's that are read-only that are
    >>not letting me access them. I don't want write access, only read access so
    >>cannot figure out why this is happening.

    > What are you using to mount the ISO? I just tried daemon-tools
    > (Win) on a read-only ISO share and it worked fine so don't think
    > it's
    > samba (same version here).
    >
    > alan

    Here is what I did in the past and what I'm trying now to get the
    share seen on a Windows workstation:

    I put the CD I want to image in the cdrom and type this command:

    # dd if=/dev/acd0 of=/disk2/ACAD-2008.iso bs=2048

    Once I have the iso image I then do this:

    # mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /disk2/ACAD-2008.iso -u 0
    # mount_cd9660 /dev/md0 /mnt

    I can access the /mnt folder from the FreeBSD server. I can see the
    /mnt folder on the Windows machine using Windows Explorer. But
    when I try to access the /mnt folder from the Windows machine I get
    the error message.

    This is weird because I've used this very same method in the past
    to load software to Windows machines.

  4. Re: Samba Won't Let Me Access a Mounted ISO File

    On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:40:48 -0400, "Vladimir Tserijemiwtz"
    wrote:

    >"Alan Strassberg" wrote in message
    >> In article ,
    >> Vladimir Tserijemiwtz wrote:
    >>>I am running FreeBSD-6.2-STABLE with Samba-3.0.26a. In the past I've been
    >>>able to mount ISO images of CD's I created with dd and then install the
    >>>software that was on them onto Windows machines using Samba.
    >>>
    >>>But for some reason I am getting this error message when I try to access
    >>>the
    >>>mounted file in the Samba share:

    This is your clue:
    ************************************************** *******************************
    >>>\\10.0.0.254\share\mounted_folder is not accessible. You may not have
    >>>permission to access this network resource.

    ************************************************** *******************************
    What are the contents of /var/log/samba.?? ?

    >>>I can access all other shares and folders underneath the shares without a
    >>>problem. It just seems to be the mounted ISO's that are read-only that are
    >>>not letting me access them. I don't want write access, only read access so
    >>>cannot figure out why this is happening.

    >> What are you using to mount the ISO? I just tried daemon-tools
    >> (Win) on a read-only ISO share and it worked fine so don't think
    >> it's
    >> samba (same version here).
    >>
    >> alan
    >>

    >Here is what I did in the past and what I'm trying now to get the
    >share seen on a Windows workstation:
    >
    >I put the CD I want to image in the cdrom and type this command:
    >
    ># dd if=/dev/acd0 of=/disk2/ACAD-2008.iso bs=2048
    >
    >Once I have the iso image I then do this:
    >
    ># mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /disk2/ACAD-2008.iso -u 0
    ># mount_cd9660 /dev/md0 /mnt

    What are the permissions for /mnt?

    >I can access the /mnt folder from the FreeBSD server. I can see the
    >/mnt folder on the Windows machine using Windows Explorer. But
    >when I try to access the /mnt folder from the Windows machine I get
    >the error message.

    The windows machine may be trying to set a file lock. Directory
    permissions may be preventing the file lock from being set. If this
    is the case, the result will be like you describe: you can see the
    file, but can't access it.

    >This is weird because I've used this very same method in the past
    >to load software to Windows machines.

    How many Microsoft software updates ago was that?

  5. Re: Samba Won't Let Me Access a Mounted ISO File

    "Speechless" wrote in message
    > On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 22:40:48 -0400, "Vladimir Tserijemiwtz"
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Alan Strassberg" wrote in message

    > This is your clue:
    > ************************************************** *******************************

    > ************************************************** *******************************
    > What are the contents of /var/log/samba.?? ?

    >>> What are you using to mount the ISO? I just tried daemon-tools
    >>> (Win) on a read-only ISO share and it worked fine so don't think
    >>> it's
    >>> samba (same version here).
    >>>
    >>> alan
    >>>

    >>Here is what I did in the past and what I'm trying now to get the
    >>share seen on a Windows workstation:
    >>
    >>I put the CD I want to image in the cdrom and type this command:
    >>
    >># dd if=/dev/acd0 of=/disk2/ACAD-2008.iso bs=2048
    >>
    >>Once I have the iso image I then do this:
    >>
    >># mdconfig -a -t vnode -f /disk2/ACAD-2008.iso -u 0
    >># mount_cd9660 /dev/md0 /mnt

    > What are the permissions for /mnt?
    >

    >>I can access the /mnt folder from the FreeBSD server. I can see the
    >>/mnt folder on the Windows machine using Windows Explorer. But
    >>when I try to access the /mnt folder from the Windows machine I get
    >>the error message.

    > The windows machine may be trying to set a file lock. Directory
    > permissions may be preventing the file lock from being set. If this
    > is the case, the result will be like you describe: you can see the
    > file, but can't access it.
    >

    >>This is weird because I've used this very same method in the past
    >>to load software to Windows machines.
    >>

    > How many Microsoft software updates ago was that?

    Thanks again for your replies on this. I installed from source, not from the
    ports
    so there is no /var/log/samba file to review.

    I did look under /usr/local/samba/var and there are several files and
    directories
    under there. One of them is /usr/local/samba/var/logs.smbd. I viewed this
    file
    but there doesn't appear to be anything in there which reveals an access
    error was recorded.

    The permissions on /mnt are 755, I even changed it to 777 and that was no
    help. There is no problem access the other shares in this setup, only the
    mounted iso's underneath the shares are causing trouble.

    Also, I copied all the files under one of the mounted iso's to an actual
    folder. No
    problem accessing and running these copies. It just seems to be the mounted
    iso that's not letting me have access.

+ Reply to Thread