Console warnings after upgrading atapi-cam - BSD

This is a discussion on Console warnings after upgrading atapi-cam - BSD ; After my last portupgrade I had a problem with K3b hanging at startup. Apparently this was due to a bug in the atapi-cam kernel module and was fixed in a later version of atapi-cam.c as described in PR 112119 I ...

  1. Console warnings after upgrading atapi-cam

    After my last portupgrade I had a problem with K3b hanging at startup.
    Apparently this was due to a bug in the atapi-cam kernel module and was
    fixed in a later version of atapi-cam.c as described in PR 112119

    I cvsup'd the kernel sources and built a new 6.2-STABLE GENERIC kernel with
    atapi-cam.c version 1.42.2.5. This fixed my K3b problem but now I'm getting
    warning messages on the system console.

    On booting I see:

    acd0: DVDR at ata1-master UDMA66
    acd0: FAILURE - INQUIRY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00 sks=0x48 0x00
    0x01
    cd0 at ata1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
    cd0: Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
    cd0: 66.000MB/s transfers
    cd0: cd present [2295104 x 2048 byte records]

    And when I run K3b I get several copies of the following message:

    acd0: WARNING - unknown CMD (0xac) read data overrun 8>0

    .... along with one copy of:

    acd0: FAILURE - unknown CMD (0x03) ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00

    .... and lots like this:

    cam_periph_mapmem: attempt to map 262144 bytes, which is greater than
    DFLTPHYS(65536)
    .... with various different values for the number of bytes to be mapped.

    If I use growisofs to write a DVD with the command:

    growisofs -Z /dev/cd0 -J -R home_0.dmp.gz-c

    .... I get just a single copy of the following message:

    acd0: FAILURE - unknown CMD (0x03) ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00

    DVDs written with K3b and with growisofs from the command line both verify
    OK but should I worry about the error messages?

    --
    Mike Clarke

  2. Re: Console warnings after upgrading atapi-cam

    Mike Clarke writes:

    > ... I get just a single copy of the following message:
    >
    > acd0: FAILURE - unknown CMD (0x03) ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x24 ascq=0x00
    >
    > DVDs written with K3b and with growisofs from the command line both verify
    > OK but should I worry about the error messages?

    No, you don't have to.
    These messages seem like warnings rather than errors. Once they annoyed
    me much. But now I just let them go.

    Further more, CD ripping on FreeBSD 6.2-STABLE would also generate such
    annoying messages. Perhaps it means that K3B has nothing to do with the
    problem. It is atapicam's `fault'...

    --
    And God spake unto Moses, and said unto him, I am the LORD:
    -- Exodus 6:2

+ Reply to Thread