Lucent Modem & ltmdm port - BSD

This is a discussion on Lucent Modem & ltmdm port - BSD ; Can anyone tell me how to get the ltmdm port working with Lucent Agere modem? I installed the port and did a kldload ltmdm command. But there still is no device cual0 showing up as the docs say there will ...

  1. Lucent Modem & ltmdm port

    Can anyone tell me how to get the ltmdm port working with Lucent Agere
    modem? I installed the port and did a kldload ltmdm command. But there still
    is no device cual0 showing up as the docs say there will be.

  2. Re: Lucent Modem & ltmdm port

    In our last episode, , the
    lovely and talented Vladimir Tserijemiwtz broadcast on
    comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc:

    > Can anyone tell me how to get the ltmdm port working with Lucent Agere
    > modem? I installed the port and did a kldload ltmdm command. But there still
    > is no device cual0 showing up as the docs say there will be.

    That's because it should be cuad4 which is where any (serial, telephone)
    modem should show up these days.

    --
    Lars Eighner
    Countdown: 457 days to go.

  3. Re: Lucent Modem & ltmdm port

    "Lars Eighner" wrote in message
    news:slrnfhlbnu.1okp.usenet@debranded.larseighner. com...
    > In our last episode, , the
    > lovely and talented Vladimir Tserijemiwtz broadcast on
    > comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc:
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me how to get the ltmdm port working with Lucent Agere
    >> modem? I installed the port and did a kldload ltmdm command. But there
    >> still
    >> is no device cual0 showing up as the docs say there will be.

    > That's because it should be cuad4 which is where any (serial, telephone)
    > modem should show up these days.
    >

    > --
    > Lars Eighner
    >
    > Countdown: 457 days to go.
    > What do you do when you're debranded?

    Thanks very much for your reply...but I'm afraid that did not work.
    Could you please elaborate on your answer a little more?

    I install the ltmdm port

    cd /usr/ports/comms/ltmdm && make install clean

    Once the port is installed I rehash and then kldload ltmdm. A quick
    kldstat verifies that the driver is loaded...but then nothing comes
    up no matter which device I try

    # cu -l cuad4
    /dev/cuad4: No such file or directory
    link down

    This happens no matter which device number I try

    cuad4, cual4, cual0, cuad1, cuad2, cuad3, ...nothing
    links up with the cu program except cuad0 which is the
    COM1 port on this box and it has nothing attached to it.

    Is there something I'm still missing? The port maintainers have
    never replied to my requests for info so I'm at a loss here.

  4. Re: Lucent Modem & ltmdm port

    In our last episode, , the
    lovely and talented Vladimir Tserijemiwtz broadcast on
    comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc:

    > "Lars Eighner" wrote in message
    > news:slrnfhlbnu.1okp.usenet@debranded.larseighner. com...
    >> In our last episode, , the
    >> lovely and talented Vladimir Tserijemiwtz broadcast on
    >> comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc:
    >>
    >>> Can anyone tell me how to get the ltmdm port working with Lucent Agere
    >>> modem? I installed the port and did a kldload ltmdm command. But there
    >>> still
    >>> is no device cual0 showing up as the docs say there will be.

    >> That's because it should be cuad4 which is where any (serial, telephone)
    >> modem should show up these days.

    > Thanks very much for your reply...but I'm afraid that did not work.
    > Could you please elaborate on your answer a little more?

    The odds are very good that you will never get a winmodem to work. The ltmdm
    port only ever worked with certain chips, not every modem branded Lucent.
    While I have every sympathy with the desire to economize, a real modem card
    is well worth the price.

    Any reasonably recent version of FreeBSD will move any serial modem it finds
    to cuad4. Look for something like

    sio0: port etc.
    sio0: moving to sio4
    sio4; type 16550A

    in dmseg. If you don't find something like that, and do not find
    cuad4 in ls /dev, the system is not finding the modem, and that is that.

    > I install the ltmdm port

    > cd /usr/ports/comms/ltmdm && make install clean

    > Once the port is installed I rehash and then kldload ltmdm. A quick
    > kldstat verifies that the driver is loaded...but then nothing comes
    > up no matter which device I try

    I do not hold out much hope here, but rebooting might be worth a try.

    > # cu -l cuad4
    > /dev/cuad4: No such file or directory
    > link down

    > This happens no matter which device number I try

    > cuad4, cual4, cual0, cuad1, cuad2, cuad3, ...nothing
    > links up with the cu program except cuad0 which is the
    > COM1 port on this box and it has nothing attached to it.

    if you do not find the modem on cuad4, there is no point in looking else
    where.

    > Is there something I'm still missing? The port maintainers have
    > never replied to my requests for info so I'm at a loss here.

    Probably you are not missing anything. It is most likely your modem will
    never work with FreeBSD.

    --
    Lars Eighner
    Countdown: 456 days to go.

  5. Re: Lucent Modem & ltmdm port

    Vladimir Tserijemiwtz wrote:

    > I install the ltmdm port
    >
    > cd /usr/ports/comms/ltmdm && make install clean
    >
    > Once the port is installed I rehash and then kldload ltmdm. A quick
    > kldstat verifies that the driver is loaded...but then nothing comes
    > up no matter which device I try

    If it actually still works, I'd expect to see a detection message in
    dmesg or /var/log/messages.

    I used ltmdm back in 4.x days on a Toshiba notebook, and worked with
    either the author or a maintainer in Japan whose name I unfortunately
    can't recall. ltmdm eventually worked, but it wasn't easy. It may not
    work on 5.x or 6.x.

    If you have a notebook, consider a PC card modem. They're pretty cheap
    these days. If you have a desktop, real external modems are easy to
    find.