FBSD + SATA II + nforce2 + SiL3112A - BSD

This is a discussion on FBSD + SATA II + nforce2 + SiL3112A - BSD ; Can anyone here recommend a solid SATA 2 PCI card that won't conflict with my motherboard's nForce2 chipset? I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe with a really crappy SiL3112A SATA 1 controller with which I can consistently lock up 6.2 ...

  1. FBSD + SATA II + nforce2 + SiL3112A

    Can anyone here recommend a solid SATA 2 PCI card that won't conflict
    with my motherboard's nForce2 chipset? I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    with a really crappy SiL3112A SATA 1 controller with which I can
    consistently lock up 6.2 by playing .WAVs off the disk and copying
    something to it at the same time. There's actually 2 disks on there
    now running gmirror but the problem predates the addition of the
    second disk and the construction of the mirror. I'm not particularly
    interested in a SATA hardware RAID capable card but will go that route
    if the controller is solid and doesn't have issues with the SiL3112A.

    thx,

    tf

  2. Re: FBSD + SATA II + nforce2 + SiL3112A

    On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 11:02:54 -0700, thefronny@gmail.com wrote:

    >Can anyone here recommend a solid SATA 2 PCI card that won't conflict
    >with my motherboard's nForce2 chipset? I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    >with a really crappy SiL3112A SATA 1 controller with which I can
    >consistently lock up 6.2 by playing .WAVs off the disk and copying
    >something to it at the same time. There's actually 2 disks on there
    >now running gmirror but the problem predates the addition of the
    >second disk and the construction of the mirror. I'm not particularly
    >interested in a SATA hardware RAID capable card but will go that route
    >if the controller is solid and doesn't have issues with the SiL3112A.

    I am not familiar with that particular board, but I use ASUS boards
    exclusively and have never encountered any compatibility issues with
    the Highpoint Rocketraid series of cards over the past 10+ years I've
    been using them: http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/sataII_pcie.htm

    >thx,
    >
    >tf

  3. Re: FBSD + SATA II + nforce2 + SiL3112A

    thefronny@gmail.com wrote:
    > Can anyone here recommend a solid SATA 2 PCI card that won't conflict
    > with my motherboard's nForce2 chipset? I have an Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    > with a really crappy SiL3112A SATA 1 controller with which I can
    > consistently lock up 6.2 by playing .WAVs off the disk and copying
    > something to it at the same time. There's actually 2 disks on there
    > now running gmirror but the problem predates the addition of the
    > second disk and the construction of the mirror. I'm not particularly
    > interested in a SATA hardware RAID capable card but will go that route
    > if the controller is solid and doesn't have issues with the SiL3112A.
    >
    > thx,
    >
    > tf

    I am running FreeBSD 6.2 on a box equipped with a abit NF7S 2.0 (nforce
    2 chip) which also deals with the same crappy onboard sil3112A sata
    controller. To add support for sata disk on this motherboard, I
    purchased a 8006-2LP card from 3ware. It does work very fine.

+ Reply to Thread