Freeze after pprootdev - Aix

This is a discussion on Freeze after pprootdev - Aix ; Hi, After booting on a SAN disk (AIX 5.3) I put powerpath with pprootdev then the next boot is freezed ? Can you help me ? TIA alh:root:/#pprootdev on bosboot: Boot image is 34560 512 byte blocks. PowerPath boot is ...

  1. Freeze after pprootdev

    Hi,

    After booting on a SAN disk (AIX 5.3)
    I put powerpath with pprootdev
    then the next boot is freezed ?

    Can you help me ?
    TIA

    alh:root:/#pprootdev on
    bosboot: Boot image is 34560 512 byte blocks.
    PowerPath boot is enabled for the next system boot.
    alh:root:/#shutdown -Fr
    SHUTDOWN PROGRAM
    Thu Oct 4 11:23:43 DFT 2007
    IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
    IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
    IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
    /
    Elapsed time since release of system processors: 64472 mins 14 secs
    Welcome to AIX.
    boot image timestamp: 09:22 10/04
    The current time and date: 09:25:37 10/04/2007
    number of processors: 2 size of memory: 24576MB
    boot device:
    /pci@80000002000000a/pci@2,2/fibre-channel@1/disk@500604844893f5dc,132000000000000:2
    kernel size: 13424931; 64 bit kernel

  2. Re: Freeze after pprootdev

    astalavista wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > After booting on a SAN disk (AIX 5.3)
    > I put powerpath with pprootdev
    > then the next boot is freezed ?
    >
    > Can you help me ?
    > TIA
    >

    > alh:root:/#pprootdev on
    > bosboot: Boot image is 34560 512 byte blocks.
    > PowerPath boot is enabled for the next system boot.
    > alh:root:/#shutdown -Fr
    > SHUTDOWN PROGRAM
    > Thu Oct 4 11:23:43 DFT 2007
    > IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
    > IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
    > IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
    > /
    > Elapsed time since release of system processors: 64472 mins 14 secs
    > Welcome to AIX.
    > boot image timestamp: 09:22 10/04
    > The current time and date: 09:25:37 10/04/2007
    > number of processors: 2 size of memory: 24576MB
    > boot device:
    > /pci@80000002000000a/pci@2,2/fibre-channel@1/disk@500604844893f5dc,132000000000000:2
    > kernel size: 13424931; 64 bit kernel

    Start with looking at the code the LPAR/Server is giving you. That
    should shed some light on what is awry.

  3. Re: Freeze after pprootdev

    "0xdeadabe" a écrit dans le message de news:
    47056707$0$20625$4c368faf@roadrunner.com...
    > astalavista wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> After booting on a SAN disk (AIX 5.3)
    >> I put powerpath with pprootdev
    >> then the next boot is freezed ?
    >>
    >> Can you help me ?
    >> TIA
    >>

    >> alh:root:/#pprootdev on
    >> bosboot: Boot image is 34560 512 byte blocks.
    >> PowerPath boot is enabled for the next system boot.
    >> alh:root:/#shutdown -Fr
    >> SHUTDOWN PROGRAM
    >> Thu Oct 4 11:23:43 DFT 2007
    >> IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
    >> IBM
    >> IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
    >> IBM
    >> IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
    >> IBM
    >> /
    >> Elapsed time since release of system processors: 64472 mins 14 secs
    >> Welcome to AIX.
    >> boot image timestamp: 09:22 10/04
    >> The current time and date: 09:25:37 10/04/2007
    >> number of processors: 2 size of memory: 24576MB
    >> boot device:
    >> /pci@80000002000000a/pci@2,2/fibre-channel@1/disk@500604844893f5dc,132000000000000:2
    >> kernel size: 13424931; 64 bit kernel
    >>

    > Start with looking at the code the LPAR/Server is giving you. That should
    > shed some light on what is awry.

    The code is C9 or 517, any idea ?

  4. Re: Freeze after pprootdev

    On Oct 9, 10:44 am, "astalavista" wrote:
    > "0xdeadabe" a écrit dans le message de news:
    > 47056707$0$20625$4c368...@roadrunner.com...
    >
    > > astalavista wrote:
    > >> Hi,

    > >> After booting on a SAN disk (AIX 5.3)
    > >> I put powerpath with pprootdev
    > >> then the next boot is freezed ?

    > >> Can you help me ?
    > >> TIA

    > >> alh:root:/#pprootdev on
    > >> bosboot: Boot image is 34560 512 byte blocks.
    > >> PowerPath boot is enabled for the next system boot.
    > >> alh:root:/#shutdown -Fr
    > >> SHUTDOWN PROGRAM
    > >> Thu Oct 4 11:23:43 DFT 2007
    > >> IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
    > >> IBM
    > >> IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
    > >> IBM
    > >> IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM IBM
    > >> IBM
    > >> /
    > >> Elapsed time since release of system processors: 64472 mins 14 secs
    > >> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    > >> Welcome to AIX.
    > >> boot image timestamp: 09:22 10/04
    > >> The current time and date: 09:25:37 10/04/2007
    > >> number of processors: 2 size of memory: 24576MB
    > >> boot device:
    > >> /pci@80000002000000a/pci@2,2/fibre-channel@1/disk@500604844893f5dc,132000000000000:2
    > >> kernel size: 13424931; 64 bit kernel
    > >> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    > > Start with looking at the code the LPAR/Server is giving you. That should
    > > shed some light on what is awry.

    > The code is C9 or 517, any idea ?

    If the code is 999 ("7137 or 3514 Disk Array Subsystem being
    configured."), it helps to wait (up to? 10' is possible!)

    Bernard Dhooghe

  5. Re: Freeze after pprootdev

    >If the code is 999 ("7137 or 3514 Disk Array Subsystem being
    > configured."), it helps to wait (up to? 10' is possible!)

    thanks
    I waited for more than a hour
    whith no boot ...

  6. Re: Freeze after pprootdev

    On Oct 9, 10:44 am, "astalavista" wrote:
    > The code is C9 or 517, any idea ?

    from the /sbin/rc.boot
    $ grep 517 /sbin/rc.boot
    ${SHOWLED} 0x517 "MOUNT ROOT"
    /../usr/lib/methods/showled 0x517 "MOUNT /USR"
    ${SHOWLED} 0x517 "MOUNT /VAR"
    ${SHOWLED} 0x517 "MOUNT /VAR"
    ${SHOWLED} 0x517 "MOUNT /TMP"
    ${SHOWLED} 0x517 "SYNCVG ROOTVG"
    ${SHOWLED} 0x517 "MOUNT ${boot_fs}"

    What kind of SAN are you using - EMC ( Clariion or Symmetrix )
    What kind of Disk are you using ( SATA or FC)
    What has been done to enable the system to boot from the EMC SAN using
    powerpath.
    With other words - have you fulfilled all steps as documented.

    hth
    Hajo

+ Reply to Thread